Target shooting in the winter.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Tcmosin

Target shooting in the winter.

Post by Tcmosin »

When out and tried out the Polish M44, my beater 91/30 and a couple reloads(first ones) to see how they do. Seems the M44 likes to shoot 4-5 inches low/left, but the 91/30 is right on-3 factory round and 1 reload right on the mark at 50 yards. The big holes where from my Black powder 50 cal from a pervious test shoot :pointdown:
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
George Washington
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Target shooting in the winter.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Very good shooting :) Winter shooting....I think not, all that would happen is the screaming as my arthritis crippled me, and then I would bust my ass on the ice, probably while carrying the guns. No worries on that score, I am sure my body would shield the guns from impact with the cold, hard ground.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Bayonet extended on the 44 or not ?
I've heard there's a big difference.
I've been running back and forth to my running truck lately to keep warm while shooting too. Just can't give it up until Spring.
Tcmosin

Post by Tcmosin »

The bayonet was not extended on these shots, I was wondering that myself. Will having the bayonet extended pull the shot to the right? I was shooting from the kneeling position in the snow, I will need to spend a little more time with the M44 to get it shooting better. The trigger pull on the M44 is terrible.
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
George Washington
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You never know until you range test the rifle, almost all Soviet refurbs will shoot straight only with the bayonet extended or mounted, that's how they were sighted in at the arsenal. Most Balkan Mosins will shoot straight with the bayonet off, the buffer state rifles from Poland, or Hungary can go either way. Finns without the bayonet almost always, Chinese mostly with bayonet not deployed, but then most of the ones we see came in from Albania, not China. I hate playing with bayonets on the range, this is were the Elby sight tool comes in, you set it and forget it until you change the brand of ammo, then POI will move again.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Very good shooting :) Winter shooting....I think not, all that would happen is the screaming as my arthritis crippled me, and then I would bust my ass on the ice, probably while carrying the guns. No worries on that score, I am sure my body would shield the guns from impact with the cold, hard ground.
I just snagged me a pair of ARMY trigger mittens with liners for my winter shooting. Looks like I'll try them out today, says 31 currently with a bit of a breeze.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I used to have a pair of them, still do, but of course the Gremlins are hiding them from me. After decades of shooting tens of thousands of rounds just about every day I am now content to shoot during the warm months on nice days. I have a 55 Gallon drum of berdan primed brass fired cases out in the shop someplace from just my last two years of shooting during the days of cheap ammo. These days I enjoy my .22's, and due to my habit of buying ammo in large quantities back in the old days I have enough ammo to shoot them for my lifetime.
Theodore Roosevelt
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

Well done!!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Target shooting in winter is six months long up here...lol :D
Heavy Metal 1

Post by Heavy Metal 1 »

Testing your reloads from a kneeling position won't give you a true picture of the load's potential. You need to shoot from a bench with your rifle on bags. That will not totally eliminate, but will substantially reduce the human factor.
I'm made of metal, my circuits gleem, I am perpetual, I keep the country clean.
Tcmosin

Post by Tcmosin »

Heavy Metal 1 wrote:Testing your reloads from a kneeling position won't give you a true picture of the load's potential. You need to shoot from a bench with your rifle on bags. That will not totally eliminate, but will substantially reduce the human factor.

Just testing a couple reloads, to much snow and cold to spend any time out there. New to reloading, will need to have a few more loaded up before I can do any real testing. I'm just glad they fired and left the barrel. :chuckles:
George Washington
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

And I thought you wouldn't be seen in the snow last time we talked. I, on the other hand, would not go near the range right now. Too dang cold and three feet of snow over there. :shock:
Tcmosin

Post by Tcmosin »

qz2026 wrote:And I thought you wouldn't be seen in the snow last time we talked. I, on the other hand, would not go near the range right now. Too dang cold and three feet of snow over there. :shock:
Well it's kinda likes this, Sleep, snow blow, work, snow blow, sleep, snow blow, work, snow blow, you get the picture. It's been a long winter and it's only January. I just had to get out and shoot a little, cabin fever I guest. Are you making it to any shows that are coming up.
George Washington
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Tcmosin wrote:
qz2026 wrote:And I thought you wouldn't be seen in the snow last time we talked. I, on the other hand, would not go near the range right now. Too dang cold and three feet of snow over there. :shock:
Well it's kinda likes this, Sleep, snow blow, work, snow blow, sleep, snow blow, work, snow blow, you get the picture. It's been a long winter and it's only January. I just had to get out and shoot a little, cabin fever I guest. Are you making it to any shows that are coming up.
You can say that! :o About 115 inches of snow this year so far and colder than I could ever remember. -12 this morning. Yeah, I'll be hitting the shows but they have weird schedules. Manistee on the 1st, West Branch on the 2nd (one day only on Sunday..). Then, the 7th is Lansing. They start on Friday and to through Sunday. I wonder if all the dealers will be there on Friday or if I should wait till Saturday? Three days for hotels and food - prices will be jacked I think. First time for that show.