stock question,,, to preserve

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
global650

stock question,,, to preserve

Post by global650 »

after cleaning up my stocks today just with dry towel and in sun

one is older and looks great , the other that is a bit lighter in color has a few stops where shellack is coming off ,,, very small

is there any way to just stop that by touching it up or putting something on it only in that area to prevent further peeling ? other than furniture polish or etc

I of course would not mess with it beyond some small method to prevent further peeling ,,,, any thoughts
desdem12

Re: stock question,,, to preserve

Post by desdem12 »

Happens with use. That is why you see the non refurbed rifles don't have any shellac left on them. It will fall off from use. You can lemon oil it and maybe that will slow it down, not sure. You can touch it up with a qtip and light alcohol I think but you have to be very careful.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

I'm all about letting it be.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

That's me also. I have never attempted to "fix" any of mine :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

The problem is ...... They probably did very little prep work when they were refurbished. So any oils from hands or what they might have used in the field is in the wood. Then they come along and slap some shellac on that. Shellac just will not "hold" very well on wood with oil on it. It will start to come off (maybe) more and more. So "patching it up to try and stop it is pretty hard.

Now, I have seen some real nice shellac jobs on these also. So prep is probably where it it all comes down too.

These rifles were shellac'd just to keep the rifle during storage. If they were to be used later, it would have come off in battle. Not the best of finishes, but OK for preservation (if not messed with).

Now along come you and I and "mess" with it! :roll:

Dolk
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Look at the rifle in this video. It is all original I would assume, and it is flaking like hell. It is just the nature of the beast.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18535
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I like a milsurp that looks the part, and a real battle rifle don't look like some commercial sporter. Dings, dents, scrapes, all tell a story.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
global650

Post by global650 »

interesting and cool video

thats interesting that the shellack was just used for storage that sheds some light on the situation

thanks I plan to let it be

i was really happy with how the barrel looked after cleaning it up and was surprised at the nice rifling still in there seemingly deep groves etc

i went with mineral spirits quick water rinse and then barristil oil
Axios

Post by Axios »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I like a milsurp that looks the part, and a real battle rifle don't look like some commercial sporter. Dings, dents, scrapes, all tell a story.
Exactly! 8-)
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty. - Thomas Jefferson
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

A few flakes here & there just adds to the charm. :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
daveshady

Post by daveshady »

Rongo wrote:A few flakes here & there just adds to the charm. :vcool:
That quote can also apply to friends!!!!

This was one of my main draws to the Finnish Weapons most never got the old shelackin lol.

I use howards orange oil its good stuff and doesnt smell like lemons :mrgreen:
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Ha ha, that's the truth!