How many guns is sufficent? and how many calibers?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
jimpierce7

Re: How many guns is sufficent? and how many calibers?

Post by jimpierce7 »

I have 5. That is sufficient. Until I buy another one. Then 6 will be sufficient. All Mosins, there is no other caliber. :D
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Everyone is different, but you have some good stuff already. 22 rifle is a must have. If I have less than a couple bricks of 22 ammo I will be nervous. You have a 12 ga shotgun. You don't need as much ammo for it, but it depends what you do with it. I like to get 12 ga target loads at Walmart. A pack of 4 boxes is 100 shells and only about 23 bucks. Mosin Ammo is cheap. Swiss and British is not nearly as inexpensive, but affordable if you shoot it sparingly, and a good K31 and a Enfield is always a good choice. For your next one, just keep your eyes open for what presents itself in your price range, and best of luck.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

.577 Snider
.577/450 Martini Henry
.50/70 US
.45/70 US
.43 Spanish
.43 Mauser
.30/40 Krag
.30-30
.30-06
.30 carbine
8mm Mauser
8mm Lebel
7.7mm Jap
6.5mm jap
6.5mm Carcano
6.5mm Swedish
7.5mm French
.303 Brit
.35 Remington
.22 LR
.22 Mag
7.62x39
7.62x54
5.56mm
7.62x51mm
8x50r
11×59mmR Gras
11.3x51r Beaumont
.43 Egyptian
.41 Swiss
7.5x55mm Swiss
7.65 Argentine
7mm Mauser
10 gauge
12 gauge
16 gauge
20 gauge
410 gauge
.45 Colt
.45acp
.357 mag
.38 special
9mm
.32 long
.32 short
.38 S&W
.22 short

Probably a few I am forgetting.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yeah Jim, it looks like you forgot the 4 bore and the 577 T Rex! :P
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

No limits for me. I may have bullets for a gun I don't have or a gun without bullets at least for a while. Right now I have a .43 Spanish caliber I don't have or plan to have bullets for. Who knows though. I also acquired a 1893 Spanish I dont have ammo for... yet. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I forgot 11.15x58mmR
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Oh yeah, well if something in this Obama-nation doesn't change a whole bunch of folks are gonna have 22 caliber rifles that they don't have ammo for.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

matt167 wrote:Well, I just ordered 40 rounds of federal M1 Garand ammo from PSA. we'll see if it goes thru.. The workaround is to have it shipped to an FFL or just have them order it.. The LGS I deal with told me just to find what I needed online and he would order it if it was something special and he could not get it thru his suppliers. That was his suggestion in prep for the SAFE act passage
Where are you located (state)????

Dolk
matt167

Post by matt167 »

I'm in NY

I have enough .22LR to be comfterble, but I don't want to shoot any of it yet given the .22 shortage got greater.. I see that Ammofast a place that usually has quite a selection at moderatly inflated prices is out of almost everything and I don't think that's a good sign.. Now here in NY we will have to either ship our ammo out of state and drive it in or FFL transfer it which I know many shops are not going to go for.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Congratulations! :roll: I think NY just took over from Calif for most restrictive. We can at least buy ammo online. They tried that crap here, but most of it went down this last year. But they will be back next year.

If you have a C&R FFL license, will that do for buying ammo online?

Dolk
matt167

Post by matt167 »

I don't think the C&R will qualify. I think it has to be an 01 FFL.. Could be that a C&R would qualify but it would be up to the merchant as if they want to sell... 3 local shops carry 7.62x54R both surplus and commercial. One of them told me he will get anything I want, so Federal M1 Garand 30-06 should be no issue. I don't think he will give it to me for the $25/ box that it can be had from PSA but he's local. The other place sells PPU and surplus 7.62x54R in very large quantities, but a single spam can is $162 or they get $9 per pack of 20. They get $18.99/box for PPU. The last place I know has stuff but I try not to deal with them
Vati66

Post by Vati66 »

Matt,

Where in NY are you located. The shop owners I have chatted with on this subject won't allow transfers. You have to buy it directly from them. I am looking for someone who will do it. I have no issue being charged a reasonable fee for handling and such, but I will not be gouged. '

Scott
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

I think this topic is a trick question.
I usually buy what interests me. But I do check to see if ammo is available first.
I was going to try to limit my calibers. But quickly lost that goal.
The only rule for myself now is only buy what you can shoot. Even if it is only a few shots.(because of cost)
Cat
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have a lifetime supply of ammo for everything that matters, I am not asking permission, or putting my name on any lists to buy ammo, f*** them, and their f***in safe act.
Theodore Roosevelt
matt167

Post by matt167 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I have a lifetime supply of ammo for everything that matters, I am not asking permission, or putting my name on any lists to buy ammo, f*** them, and their f***in safe act.
Me neither. PA border is 2hrs from my house. Lots of gunshops that will sell free of any bull. But I'm only going that far if NY actually gets the ammo registration going, which will probably never happen... If all I gotta do is pick up ammo at a LGS and pay a small transfer fee, then I'll do that instead..
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It went into effect today, 15 January.
Theodore Roosevelt
matt167

Post by matt167 »

Vati66 wrote:Matt,

Where in NY are you located. The shop owners I have chatted with on this subject won't allow transfers. You have to buy it directly from them. I am looking for someone who will do it. I have no issue being charged a reasonable fee for handling and such, but I will not be gouged. '

Scott
I live in the Catskills.. The one shop I had talked to about it a few months ago, and he said if he couldn't get it I could do a transfer like that, but I know he would rather sell than become a middle man only picking up a transfer.. I bet that if I told him I wanted a crate of 7.62x54R and would pay $200 for it, he would probably find it, even if it was not from his regular supplier
matt167

Post by matt167 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:It went into effect today, 15 January.
The database they want for background checks and tracking is nowheres near being ready. As I understand it, it was left to the state police to create it and they are not interested, and the Feds said no way to background checks for ammo. The NICS system couldn't handle the overload.

What we were left with is a ban on online ammo purchases, and possibly that $10 tax went into effect
Vati66

Post by Vati66 »

I live up near Utica. PA is a nice Sunday ride. LOL
gurn

Post by gurn »

Don't limit yourself and there is no science to it. Like others have said get what you like and like what you get. One thing that has always worked for me and has given me a good supply is getting to gun shows early making the rounds quickly and watching for those small timers setting up selling just a few things. I have picked up many a box or bag of various ammo at old time prices. I usually get even better deals when I buy all they have on the table. I think the only gun I have that I have no ammo for is my French service revolver model 1873 Chamelot-Delvigne. JYD, do you have any 11mm French ammo? :tongue:
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!