Surplus "Brass" question

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
conair

Surplus "Brass" question

Post by conair »

First post.
Finely got a 91/30. Was wondering, is the Russian surplus ammo reloadable? What press do you guys use for reloading for your Mosins?
I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Surplus "Brass" question

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, Surplus ammo, all of it from the East Block, is berdan primed, ( corrosive) and mostly steel case. It is possible to reload it using expensive and hard to come by Berdan primers , most reloaders will not consider that as dealing with these primers is not nearly as easy as dealing with the Boxer primers we use here in the west. Most western made cases are boxer primed, but be sure to ask if they are, or read the box, these will use the basic large rifle primer.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
conair

Post by conair »

Thanks for that. I'll make to get a couple tins of surplus while I look for some good brass and because it's still cheap. I do enjoy reloading for the Garand.
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello, If you insist on reloading the 7.62x54R.. In a brass berdan primed cases. The berdan primers can be found at Powder Valley. Not to many people, would try or spend the time to reload steel cases, not to say some don't. NOW, for my opinion,... Why reload a round that you can buy for less than .25 cents, surplus.. The bullet will cost you more than that, let alone powder and primer.. Steel cases don't hold up to the reloading process. Play safe..
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

As to loading the brass cases, Various companies make die sets and brass, while pricy is available. I intend to load some lead "Bollits" in my most accurate M39 0r my M28/30 after they are "slugged" .
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I've bought lots of used brass on Craigslist, including Privi 7.62x54R. People pick it up at the local ranges to sell.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
conair

Post by conair »

I'm going to start getting some of the brass now for reloading later when I run out of surplus. Yep it's much cheaper to get the milsurp but there is a lot to be said for reloading your own rounds. Always a good feeling when I get to the range and let fly some of my reloads...especially when they work better in the rifle then milsurp.
conair

Post by conair »

BubbaDX wrote:I've bought lots of used brass on Craigslist, including Privi 7.62x54R. People pick it up at the local ranges to sell.
Thanks for that. I'll check that out.
matt167

Post by matt167 »

there is a youtube video of someone bushing a berdan primer pocket with a peice of copper tubing and resized to use boxer primers.. The guy makes it look easy but when you take into account the time it takes him to make the bushings and install them, it's totally not worth it... A box of PPU's is less than $20, and that is reloadable brass
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Did that video also show the little copper bushing embedded in the guys forehead? A shimmed primer?
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Tnic

Post by Tnic »

matt167 wrote:there is a youtube video of someone bushing a berdan primer pocket with a peice of copper tubing and resized to use boxer primers.. The guy makes it look easy but when you take into account the time it takes him to make the bushings and install them, it's totally not worth it... A box of PPU's is less than $20, and that is reloadable brass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkKJfvMy ... re&index=3
Если не мы, то кто?

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

― George Orwell
entropy

Post by entropy »

The decapping tool for Berdan primers is not cheap either. Buy some PPU ammo or Brass from Graf's, stick with Boxer primers and brass cases, much easier and cheaper to do. Steel cases do resize, but are hard on the dies, and usually split the second time around. (I learned this from reloading Wolf 9mm cases.)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien