Shot my Mosin for the first time :D

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
OldRussian

Shot my Mosin for the first time :D

Post by OldRussian »

I shot my m38 for the first time yesterday. It was a blast to shoot! The fireballs and power was impressive. I found the recoil to be very manageable. I read some people think it kicks like a mule, only the girl that was with us thought it hurt :P. I am very pleased with my purchase and a few of my friends want one now too!
BuckeyeSgt

Re: Shot my Mosin for the first time :D

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

:thumbsup: My impression was 91/30 recoil no problem, m44 no problem....M38 :big shock:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
daveshady

Post by daveshady »

I have a guy I know thru work can only fire his 91/30 2x before crying about the recoil.... WHIMP
hes gona reload some lighter kicking loads I guess.... :lol:

I love shooting them over and over and over

Enjoy your 1st
390ish

Post by 390ish »

38 has more recoil? Never shot one did not know it. Guess the weight of the bayonet would make a difference in that sort of thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OldRussian

Post by OldRussian »

You definitely feel like you are shooting a hefty round. It is far from flinch-worthy IMO.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Anyone remember the guy on here that posted about his daughter shooting his over and over. Lets a guy try it out and was shocked by the recoil. Daughter was shooting Czech practice rounds and he shot the normal stuff. :chuckles:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
husker51

Post by husker51 »

To me 7.62 x 54r is about the same as .308. Never shot a M38 though. My M70 Winchester is built like a carbine but it feels like a BB gun next to my 91/30. :lol:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

Recoil? Nope, never felt it.

Okay, there was one - one - time that I didn't have the butt pocketed correctly and I maybe felt a little, but...
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

husker51 wrote:To me 7.62 x 54r is about the same as .308. Never shot a M38 though. My M70 Winchester is built like a carbine but it feels like a BB gun next to my 91/30. :lol:
I have a Winchester M70 in .30-06 and it kicks more than the Mosin.imo
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Different ammo has differing amounts of recoil, and different shooting positions have more or less felt recoil. Shooting heavy ball or 203 gr ammo like Silver or Brown bear from a bench rest has the greatest recoil, in my experience. Store bought brass case ammo is quite comfortable compared.
Tnic

Post by Tnic »

OldRussian wrote:I shot my m38 for the first time yesterday. It was a blast to shoot! The fireballs and power was impressive. I found the recoil to be very manageable. I read some people think it kicks like a mule, only the girl that was with us thought it hurt :P. I am very pleased with my purchase and a few of my friends want one now too!
May you have many, many years of enjoyment with it...........................and all the subsequent additions. :thumbsup:
Если не мы, то кто?

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

― George Orwell
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

Truth be known the guy's probably wouldn't admit it if it did hurt. I have shot mine M38s many of times and some times it seams to kick more then others. But any way you look at it that mother kicks. But I love to shoot them and I love the the attention they get at the range. I love the question of what the hell is that thing your shooting? And did you see the flame come out of that thing.