Tell me more about my M38

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
OldRussian

Tell me more about my M38

Post by OldRussian »

Hello this is my first time posting and first Mosin.

I would greatly appreciate if you guys could tell me more about this rifle. This is what I have figured out through my research:

-1944 Izhevsk M38
-wartime production stock
-likely forced numbers matching?
-not counter-bored
-not extremely rare

What do you guys think? Also, is it ok to remove the cosmoline? (NOT SANDING)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Tell me more about my M38

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cosmoline wipes off, that's because it's good old axle grease, that's what the commies used, only we used real cosmoline, and cosmoline can be a pain in the ass to remove. Looks like you have the ID nailed, it's also a Molot import, that woul dbe the modern looking markings, Molot is a Russian exporter. Nice carbine :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Cosmoline wipes off, that's because it's good old axle grease, that's what the commies used, only we used real cosmoline, and cosmoline can be a pain in the ass to remove. Looks like you have the ID nailed, it's also a Molot import, that woul dbe the modern looking markings, Molot is a Russian exporter. Nice carbine :)
:pointup: +1 You and JYD have got it figured out. Congrats on the nice addition to your collection and welcome to the Forum! Oh, btw...she's sitting in an M44 stock with the cutout for the bayonet. It is very common for the Soviets to have done this and doesn't really affect the value in a negative way. If she was sitting in an M38 stock that would be a nice bonus. :thumbsup:
OldRussian

Post by OldRussian »

I did not know it was a M44 stock. This gun is a complete refurb then? How much would you pay for this rifle? I paid $275 in Canada.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They would pay an insane $275-$300 here. I say insane because the most expensive M38 I ever bought was the rare date 1939, and that was the immense sum ( at the time) of $200. Once spoiled by prices like that you never want to deal with the reality of changing times and higher prices.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I can't add to what the guys have already said. It looks to be a fine refurb and will likely shoot very well. I like the cartouches on the stock especially the number on the top of the butt stock. Welcome to the forum. Now go out and shoot this little cannon. :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

Beware of the fireball!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
sgtheindl

Post by sgtheindl »

The m38 is a lot of fun and my personal favorite. :thumbsup:.
I'm broke because I buy milsurps. I'm rich because I buy what I enjoy.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:They would pay an insane $275-$300 here. I say insane because the most expensive M38 I ever bought was the rare date 1939, and that was the immense sum ( at the time) of $200. Once spoiled by prices like that you never want to deal with the reality of changing times and higher prices.
Indeed. I got my non-Molot 1943 M38 for $200 just a couple of weeks ago. I suppose that price is also affected by location.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

awalker1829 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:They would pay an insane $275-$300 here. I say insane because the most expensive M38 I ever bought was the rare date 1939, and that was the immense sum ( at the time) of $200. Once spoiled by prices like that you never want to deal with the reality of changing times and higher prices.
Indeed. I got my non-Molot 1943 M38 for $200 just a couple of weeks ago. I suppose that price is also affected by location.
Only if you do not have a C&R FFL, if you have it then you are dealing with every location in all 50 states.
Theodore Roosevelt
Deadheadmatt

Post by Deadheadmatt »

OldRussian wrote:Hello this is my first time posting and first Mosin.

I would greatly appreciate if you guys could tell me more about this rifle. This is what I have figured out through my research:

-1944 Izhevsk M38
-wartime production stock
-likely forced numbers matching?
-not counter-bored
-not extremely rare

What do you guys think? Also, is it ok to remove the cosmoline? (NOT SANDING)
If you don't mind me asking, where did you buy it? And how much? I haven't seen any of the Molot M38's around.

Matt