Finally I can post here

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Misfit

Finally I can post here

Post by Misfit »

So my mom asked what I wanted for Christmas and recently she has gotten into guns I said I wanted a gun for Christmas. Surprisingly she said yes. Now my wife had gotten me a type 53 for Christmas and now my mom picked up a Chinese SKS dated 1964 by serial number. According to her it's all numbers matching. Now I guess I need to make a trip out to see her to pick it up. Serial number is 8131247
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greasemonkey

Re: Finally I can post here

Post by Greasemonkey »

Nice and congrats on your first SKS, and you got a very cool wife and mom :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Something that stood out in the bottom photo is the spike bayonet, that may have been changed and/or the stock was swapped. :vconfused:

The ferrule that fits the nose end of the stock looks like a "V" cut for a blade bayonet, if it's more "U" shaped, then it's for a spike. A spike bayonet would/should fit somewhat more flush with the stock. The stock cut for a blade is somewhat narrow and deep, the spike bayonet would be wider and shallow. The blade/spike transition seems to have occurred for factory /26\ sometime around '65/'66, or the 9 to 10 million series of serials.

Either way, post some photos when you get it in your hands :thumbsup:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Well, that is a great gift :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

I was wondering why the spike sat so low plus to me it looks as if the stock and upper hand guard are two different colors. I really wish my mom would have just shipped it out my way to my ffl place. She wanted to save money. Now it's costing me a lot more to drive out there as it would have to shipped it.
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

So I have been doing some research and stumbled on this: Type 56 carbines with serial numbers below 9,000,000 have the Russian-style blade-type folding bayonet, while those 9,000,000 and higher have a "spike" type folding bayonet.

Mine is 8 mil for the number so am I to ASSume that mine should have a blade style bayonet?
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Great gift & welcome!

I wish my Mom would buy me a gun.... :wink:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Misfit wrote:So I have been doing some research and stumbled on this: Type 56 carbines with serial numbers below 9,000,000 have the Russian-style blade-type folding bayonet, while those 9,000,000 and higher have a "spike" type folding bayonet.

Mine is 8 mil for the number so am I to ASSume that mine should have a blade style bayonet?
Your dealing with the Chinese(nothing is really for certain), those were transitional years, I have a '65 9 million series /26\ that is a blade. I have run across another 9 million that was a spike. During this time frame you could find either.
It would be a safe bet, given the "V" cut stock ferrule, it was originally a blade. If it has the correct stock, it's just a matter of swapping the bayonet to make it correct, bayonets aren't numbered. Same with the stock, swap it with the correct style if it's incorrect, unnumbered stocks can be found.

As far as shipping, depending on your state law, it may be legal to ship in state. However, if your mother is outta state, that is illegal, it would have to go through a FFL for transfer because it crosses state line..
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

For years growing up she didn't want me near guns or learning gun saftey. I use to go camping with my one friend and learned shooting there. Then once I went to camp seagull I really started to get into shooting. From there it progressed. Now out of the blue about two years ago all of a sudden my mom showed interest in firearms and get her ccw.

I actually prefer the look of a blade style bayonet to the spike style.

We both live in pa and I'm pretty sure it's illegal to ship weapons to non ffl places in the state.
A1RADIOMAN

Post by A1RADIOMAN »

Misfit wrote:I was wondering why the spike sat so low plus to me it looks as if the stock and upper hand guard are two different colors. I really wish my mom would have just shipped it out my way to my ffl place. She wanted to save money. Now it's costing me a lot more to drive out there as it would have to shipped it.
A wife that buys guns for Christmas... Fantastic ...A Mom that buys guns for Christmas Even more Fantastic, A trip to see Mom Priceless.
“Only the dead have seen the end of war.” Plato
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

And to boot my dad is getting into trap shooting again. Maybe I can get something from him :). Oh to feel like a kid again.

My trigger finger is feeling really itchy
Hipsh0t

Post by Hipsh0t »

I believe that would fall into the Sino-Soviet category, or an early enough chinese that they didn't start simplifying the sks with stamped parts and added the spike. That stock appears to be cut for a blade, serial numbers put it in the blade type. So it would seem someone added a spike bayonet they had laying around because it was missing a bayo. If it were mine, id leave it until I found a blade and switch it out.
Hipsh0t

Post by Hipsh0t »

I believe that would fall into the Sino-Soviet category, or an early enough chinese that they didn't start simplifying the sks with stamped parts and added the spike. That stock appears to be cut for a blade, serial numbers put it in the blade type. So it would seem someone added a spike bayonet they had laying around because it was missing a bayo. If it were mine, id leave it until I found a blade and switch it out.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Hipsh0t wrote:I believe that would fall into the Sino-Soviet category, or an early enough chinese that they didn't start simplifying the sks with stamped parts and added the spike. That stock appears to be cut for a blade, serial numbers put it in the blade type. So it would seem someone added a spike bayonet they had laying around because it was missing a bayo. If it were mine, id leave it until I found a blade and switch it out.
The sino were the very early ones made up of some Russian spare parts. The sino date back to 1956 and have very low serial numbers. The serial number on those guns would have a letter or letters to the left of the SN. This one is years newer.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
Hipsh0t

Post by Hipsh0t »

OLD OUTLAW wrote:
Hipsh0t wrote:I believe that would fall into the Sino-Soviet category, or an early enough chinese that they didn't start simplifying the sks with stamped parts and added the spike. That stock appears to be cut for a blade, serial numbers put it in the blade type. So it would seem someone added a spike bayonet they had laying around because it was missing a bayo. If it were mine, id leave it until I found a blade and switch it out.
The sino were the very early ones made up of some Russian spare parts. The sino date back to 1956 and have very low serial numbers. The serial number on those guns would have a letter or letters to the left of the SN. This one is years newer.
Thank you for clearing this up for me..
mike663

Post by mike663 »

Looks good, you really have got a cool mom, and wife. I'm 50, been married to the same woman for 28 years, and have never gotten a gun for Christmas or Birthdays. Of course that's probably a good thing. Neither one would have a clue what to get.
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
-George Orwell-
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

Just picked up my second SKS last night