91/30 Safety repair or replacement?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Bayushi

91/30 Safety repair or replacement?

Post by Bayushi »

Hi there. I have a Tula arsenal 91/30 purchased online (not sure what year. I don't quite yet know how to determine that) with a bit of an issue with the bolt safety.

The bolt safety (located at the aft end of the bolt) is supposed to be drawn back by hand then twisted and released until it rests on the upper receiver.

Unfortunately, it's near impossible for me to get the thing to move, much less into position. A roommate of mine (old Vietnam Marine vet) was able to get it to move after working at it awhile, but I can't do it myself.

I'd like to be able to safe the weapon for when I'm not actively holding it, while still being able to take it off safe without much effort in case it is ever needed in a pinch (what's the point of an unloaded weapon or a weapon that can't be fired?).

Is it possible to somehow repair the bolt safety, replace just the safety, or would I have to replace the entire bolt? I don't know if there's rust inside the bolt (probably didn't apply any cosmoline in there), or if there are issues with the spring.

Thanks!
Gsragtop

Re: 91/30 Safety repair or replacement?

Post by Gsragtop »

No there is nothing wrong with your bolt, the "safety" on a mosin is next to useless.. No one really uses it, and infact I think it has been discussed that even the Russians were trained to walk around with the bolt open, when the rifle was not in use. Just forget its there and eather open the bolt or leave it unloaded.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The safety on the Mosin is to open the bolt, nobody uses the cocking knob to safe the weapon, fooling with it has sometimes caused negligent discharges.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
husker51

Post by husker51 »

That bolt safety is potentially more likely to cause accidental discharge in some cases. I think if you are thinking home defense, this is not the weapon I would choose. I choose not to load the mosin nagant rifle until I am stationary and preparing to shoot. That is my choice though. You can load the mag just don't load the chamber. I know not everyone will look at this the same but it is simply more safe. I have a 45 auto that I don't typically keep the chamber loaded. If it was just me in the house, I would keep it loaded but to be assured of no accidental discharge, I choose not to keep a round in the chamber. It is up to individual ultimately. Be safe. :D
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
Bayushi

Post by Bayushi »

I live in the Pacific Northwet. Will humidity pose any issue in the chamber if I leave the bolt open?
Armidaios

Post by Armidaios »

I took mine out this morning to put some rounds through. I do use the safety but when I Un did the safety pulled the bolt back the safety re engaged off the "track" is that something that i should worry about? For a couple of seconds I was trying to push the bolt back with the safety off its track until I realized what happened.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Bayushi wrote:I live in the Pacific Northwet. Will humidity pose any issue in the chamber if I leave the bolt open?
The airflow will actually help. Oil the inside of the barrel as well.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Armidaios wrote:I took mine out this morning to put some rounds through. I do use the safety but when I Un did the safety pulled the bolt back the safety re engaged off the "track" is that something that i should worry about? For a couple of seconds I was trying to push the bolt back with the safety off its track until I realized what happened.
You twisted it too far when you unsafed it. Like was stated earlier, the MN safety poses more problems than it solves. One is best served by not using it, and only closing the bolt when you are set to fire.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Flyin Brian

Post by Flyin Brian »

The easy way to use the safety:

1) hold the rifle in you're left hand
2) place butt plate against your right bicep
3) use 2 fingers and thumb from right hand to manipulate safety

doing it this way allows you to pull without having to fight the spring while trying to hold the rifle tight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Rups63

Post by Rups63 »

Flyin Brian wrote:The easy way to use the safety:

1) hold the rifle in you're left hand
2) place butt plate against your right bicep
3) use 2 fingers and thumb from right hand to manipulate safety

doing it this way allows you to pull without having to fight the spring while trying to hold the rifle tight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Yes.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I wasn't sure if you were thinking of using it for home protection or something else. Or if you live in the country where a loaded rifle is more common. But a high powered rifle is a bad choice for home defense. I have heard of some who do.