New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
fuegoboy

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by fuegoboy »

Hello, I am Fuegoboy.
I purchased this Mosin-Nagant, 1937 model in December of last year.

It is a Tula arsenal rifle. I am interested in tracing weapons which were sent to Spain in the late 30s and used during the Spanish Civil War.

Still cleaning the cosmoline off the metal and will refinish the wood before shooting.

I also shoot black powder (1820-1850 era) but am looking forward to shooting this WWII model.

fuegoboy
ronwhj

Post by ronwhj »

I'm having difficulty in removing the cleaning rod on a 91-30. What is the normal procedure?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

fuegoboy wrote:Hello, I am Fuegoboy.
I purchased this Mosin-Nagant, 1937 model in December of last year.

It is a Tula arsenal rifle. I am interested in tracing weapons which were sent to Spain in the late 30s and used during the Spanish Civil War.

Still cleaning the cosmoline off the metal and will refinish the wood before shooting.

I also shoot black powder (1820-1850 era) but am looking forward to shooting this WWII model.

fuegoboy
Welcome to the board, nice find on that SCW rifle, as for the stock it's best with military surplus rifles not to alter the stocks appearance as this has a seriously detrimental effect on the pieces value. SCW Mosins tend to have that issued look to them, it's one of their identifying features, the hallmark of a real battle rifle. Spain's civil war was a savage one, the rifles bear the marks of that, as it's only use will be the range, or your gun safe no harm will come to the stock even if it had no finish at all. The world is full of pretty Soviet refurbs, but a as issued Mosin is a rarity, preserve it rather than alter it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Loditrapper

Post by Loditrapper »

Hello. I am preparing to buy my first Mosin Nagant rifle. I'm going to buy a 91/30 hex receiver with a laminated stock from Classic Arms. I couldn't help but notice that several members seem to be down on Classic Arms. I've shopped around locally, and things have really changed. Not long ago, you couldn't walk into a gun store for fear of tripping over a stack of Mosins. Now, you might see three (but only two of them have bayonets) or one ($199 and stock looks chewed up). I know I could find a better selection at a gun show, but the next one that's close isn't until February. I can't wait that long, I'm sure some of you know how that is. Really wish I'd bought one when they were everywhere, and cheaper. But then I wish I'd bought an M1 Garand when they were only $500. LOTS of wishes like that. So I'm buying my first Mosin, and I really hope I like what I get. I hope the condition's as described, hope the bore's decent, hope I'm happy with it. Either way, I'll let you'uns know.
EDF

Post by EDF »

First post on this board… Been collecting for a while and just found this group…
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Loditrapper wrote:Hello. I am preparing to buy my first Mosin Nagant rifle. I'm going to buy a 91/30 hex receiver with a laminated stock from Classic Arms. I couldn't help but notice that several members seem to be down on Classic Arms. I've shopped around locally, and things have really changed. Not long ago, you couldn't walk into a gun store for fear of tripping over a stack of Mosins. Now, you might see three (but only two of them have bayonets) or one ($199 and stock looks chewed up). I know I could find a better selection at a gun show, but the next one that's close isn't until February. I can't wait that long, I'm sure some of you know how that is. Really wish I'd bought one when they were everywhere, and cheaper. But then I wish I'd bought an M1 Garand when they were only $500. LOTS of wishes like that. So I'm buying my first Mosin, and I really hope I like what I get. I hope the condition's as described, hope the bore's decent, hope I'm happy with it. Either way, I'll let you'uns know.
Welcome to the board, I was buying Garands when they were $175, yes, I miss the Happy Time. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

EDF wrote:First post on this board… Been collecting for a while and just found this group…
Welcome to the board, lot of us old fart collectors here with more guns that brain cells, pull up a chair and set awhile :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Bayushi

Post by Bayushi »

Hey there!

I'm Bayushi (Bay for short). I've owned a 91/30 for about 4 months now, and haven't had an opportunity to get out and do some target practice.

Unfortunately, I'm still something of an amateur (though I do know safety basics and the like. Already passed the state CCW test, but wasn't able to pony up the cash for the permit itself) with firearms.

I came around looking for information on this weapon, and found this forum. I'm glad I did!
Chiloe

Re: Hello everybody!

Post by Chiloe »

Mosin 2013-14 (8) [Résolution de l'écran].JPG
Good day everyone.

I am Christian, I am new to the forum... This is the third time I try to introduce myself and I hope it will be the good one!

I received my 91/30 3 weeks ago and did an overhall cosmetic and refurbishing job tro it. It looks perfect, almost new and I can't wait to test it on the range.

Yes... It is not a very special one, not a 38 or 40, but I falled in love with it.

I have few questions about marks I was not able to find on the forum. I can see members who posted some good pictures of their rifles, how should we proceed to post a complete text with piuctures on the forum? (Pdf, Word???)

Happy new year to all.

Christian :idea:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Hello everybody!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Chiloe wrote:
Good day everyone.

I am Christian, I am new to the forum... This is the third time I try to introduce myself and I hope it will be the good one!

I received my 91/30 3 weeks ago and did an overhall cosmetic and refurbishing job tro it. It looks perfect, almost new and I can't wait to test it on the range.

Yes... It is not a very special one, not a 38 or 40, but I falled in love with it.

I have few questions about marks I was not able to find on the forum. I can see members who posted some good pictures of their rifles, how should we proceed to post a complete text with piuctures on the forum? (Pdf, Word???)

Happy new year to all.

Christian :idea:
Welcome to the board..again :lol: your photos are showing just fine, no problems that I can see :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
philomene9999

Post by philomene9999 »

Hi everyone.

I am new to the forum... i'm a recent owner of a 91/30 in 30-384w. - non military caliber due to french regulations before 09/2013.

things have changed in french regulation till then so now we can have 7,62x54r bolt without a too complicated administration issue.

I've been more in French surplus rifle MAS36 and MAS 49/56 and now discovering Russian arsenal - I'm also interested in SVT40 for second half 2014.

Happy new year to all.
Oldman3082

Post by Oldman3082 »

Hello everyone. I'm here. :wink:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oldman3082 wrote:Hello everyone. I'm here. :wink:
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

philomene9999 wrote:Hi everyone.

I am new to the forum... i'm a recent owner of a 91/30 in 30-384w. - non military caliber due to french regulations before 09/2013.

things have changed in french regulation till then so now we can have 7,62x54r bolt without a too complicated administration issue.

I've been more in French surplus rifle MAS36 and MAS 49/56 and now discovering Russian arsenal - I'm also interested in SVT40 for second half 2014.

Happy new year to all.
Welcome to the board, there are several of us here on the board with French military surplus rifles in our collections. I do not have the 49/56 but I do have a Mas36, several Berthiers, and Lebels both rifles and carbines. I am glad to hear about the regulations concerning military calibers has been changed, that should make things easier for milsurp collectors in France. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Tnic

Post by Tnic »

Greetings my fellow Capitalist Americans! :D

I recently stumbled over a youtube vid about these historic Mosinkas (M91/30) and have been gobbling up all I can find at The Tube. What a great rifle for $100!

The more I looked into them, the more I liked them and as soon as my local FFL dealer is loaded into Classic's system there'll 4 of em heading to Maine. I might let my brother have one of em. I might even snag a 6 pack or two as well over the winter just to have some variety.

Sadly I have to wait until this summer to play with my haul since I'm in Ukraine (where the last exporting armory is) until then.

Looking forward to banging the gong when I get home.
Если не мы, то кто?

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

― George Orwell
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Tnic wrote:Greetings my fellow Capitalist Americans! :D

I recently stumbled over a youtube vid about these historic Mosinkas (M91/30) and have been gobbling up all I can find at The Tube. What a great rifle for $100!

The more I looked into them, the more I liked them and as soon as my local FFL dealer is loaded into Classic's system there'll 4 of em heading to Maine. I might let my brother have one of em. I might even snag a 6 pack or two as well over the winter just to have some variety.

Sadly I have to wait until this summer to play with my haul since I'm in Ukraine (where the last exporting armory is) until then.

Looking forward to banging the gong when I get home.
Theodore Roosevelt
Kilo Golf Charlie

Post by Kilo Golf Charlie »

Hello all you right leanin' gun totin' folks. My name is Kevin and I received my first Mosin a few months ago. I have yet to shoot it, lack of time with a new baby around the house, but I already love it and I am looking for a second. I have identified it as a 91/30 from 1930. It is an all matching numbers that was manufactured in the Tula factory. I will post pics so the thread isn't useless! Nice to finally have joined, been a lurker for at least 6 months....
haley56228

Post by haley56228 »

Hello,
I am here
mosinsky

Post by mosinsky »

Greetings fellow Mosin-Nagant lovers! I am very new owner, in fact, I haven't received my 91-30 yet as it is slowed by the horrible winter weather in the Mid-West. In the meantime I have been deep in research to learn as much as possible about this type of rifle. I won't know if it will be covered in goo, but I look forward to disassembling it, cleaning it, and firing it. I've heard that it recommended that it may need the head spacing checking. Does this seem right? I wouldn't want it to "blow up" in my arms.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Bayushi wrote:Hey there!

I'm Bayushi (Bay for short). I've owned a 91/30 for about 4 months now, and haven't had an opportunity to get out and do some target practice.

Unfortunately, I'm still something of an amateur (though I do know safety basics and the like. Already passed the state CCW test, but wasn't able to pony up the cash for the permit itself) with firearms.

I came around looking for information on this weapon, and found this forum. I'm glad I did!
Theodore Roosevelt