School me on SVT

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
NETNshawn

School me on SVT

Post by NETNshawn »

Looking to get into SVT. I have plenty of knowledge about Nagants but need help on the SVT. What do I need to look for? Any rare dates to look out for?
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: School me on SVT

Post by Darryl »

Read these first (that will keep you busy for a little while) :bwink:

http://www.mosinnagant.net/USSR/svt401.asp

http://www.mosinnagant.net/USSR/Svt-Photos1.asp

There is one arsenal that is rarer then the Tula or Izhevsk, and that is the Kovrov Podolsk arsenal.

Some are wearing the old AVT stocks, and there is a "navy" version stock also. Read the articles and you will see them.

Then there are the SVT's that were sniper rifles that are harder to find and more expensive. They are also hard to tell if they are "real" or not unless you know what to look for. Only a notch on the top of the rear of the receiver is the difference (mostly) and they are "faked" a lot. I have one with the grooves in the side of the receiver (which used to come on all of the older SVT's) but it is not a sniper just because of the side grooves, it has to have that top notch also. There is a way to tell a fake.

Dolk
Flyin Brian

Post by Flyin Brian »

I would suggest either buying from someone you trust or having the seller allow you to fully inspect the insides(gas system) before purchasing. If I was selling one of mine, I wouldn't mind meeting someone at the range and let them take a few shots with it to make sure it all works properly. Buying online will be much more risky than buying a bolt action, in my opinion.

FB
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

dolk wrote:Read these first (that will keep you busy for a little while) :bwink:

There is one arsenal that is rarer then the Tula or Izhevsk, and that is the Podolsk arsenal.

dolk-fixed that for you. New information within the last two years. Not Kovrov-though the name is SO much cooler sounding!

Some are wearing the old AVT stocks, and there is a "navy" version stock also. Read the articles and you will see them.

Then there are the SVT's that were sniper rifles that are harder to find and more expensive. They are also hard to tell if they are "real" or not unless you know what to look for. Only a notch on the top of the rear of the receiver is the difference (mostly) and they are "faked" a lot. I have one with the grooves in the side of the receiver (which used to come on all of the older SVT's) but it is not a sniper just because of the side grooves, it has to have that top notch also. There is a way to tell a fake.

Dolk
See above in bold and below.

The three rarest are :
- '45 Tula
- '40 Podolsk
- '44 Tula

Then the next tier are either of the remaining 1940's arsenals-Tula/Izhevsk.
In my experience, by far the most common is the 1941 Tula.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I have well over a half dozen of different SVT's including an SVT 38 and an SVT 40 sniper. Their call to the collector is strong and answered by many for it is Russia's M1 Garand. The catch is I now never fire any of them because regardless of what other people say to me they are a PIA to clean right and then store. In retrospect I wish I had only bought one and kept it as a representative piece and stopped there.

In looking back I remember when I first saw one and it was quite impressive at the time. The first ones I saw were begging for new owners at $125 a piece and they had come in from Canada I think. Wholesale prices were $50 to $70 and they couldn't give them away. My how times have changed huh? It seems everyone is desiring one and frankly like the 1 M1 Garand I have it just doesn't do that much for me now. Again my usual comment to each their own I guess. In rating it in my mind it is well below the desire for more M39's or rare Finn rifles. Go for it and enjoy it I would say if that's what you want! Bill :wink:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I'm a bit like Zeebill on these rifles. I own one and that is enough for me. Unlike Bill, I love a M1 Garand, but these are no M1 Garand. Extremely hard to disassemble (the rear springs will "launch" on you like a ICBM if you are not careful). I think Jim had one launch a spring out a window? And to clean the gas system is not easy to clean, and if you don't ... and use corrosive ammo (like the Russians did), it will (or can) destroy the gas system. Especially the gas piston. Some one makes a "replacement" stainless steel one (or used to). There are very few parts around either, and a extra mag will cost $150 (+ or -) and a aftermarket one will be around $80 with no guarantee it will feed right in your rifle. Which brings up a different problem.....feed issues. These rifles have a lot of feed issues. They were very picky about the mags that went with them. Each mag had to be fitted in order to insure it worked correct. You can buy a used mag for $150, but it may not work in your rifle.

Kick in the @ss to shoot, but a pain in the @ss to clean. Like I said, I own a 42 Izhevsk Finn capture, and that is enough for me. But you almost have to get it out of your system and eventually buy at least one. :bwink:

Dolk
Bugelson

Re: Vs: School me on SVT

Post by Bugelson »

I have only two SVT-40s but I am going to get few more in the years to come. I just love the rifle. The looks, the feel and everything. And shooting these is just so much fun. Also the history of the usage is fascinating.

I also really appreciate the historical meaning of the design. Even though it was not all the way sound because of the war.

When one shoot surplus the cleaning is not that fun as you really don't want to left any of the residue in the action.

That's why I shoot mainly commercial 147gr ammo. One must of course clean the rifle all the way also after commercial ammo but one don't have to be afraid of the salts then.

I don't find the cleaning that bad as I don't have to do it in a pitch black night in a foxhole while there is -30° C. Like the soldiers had to. No wonder maintaining the rifle was not experienced as fun bact then.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Could you imagine in the dark in a foxhole cleaning that thing. You would launch the springs all over the battle field! :chuckles:

Then all you would have left is a "pike" (stick with a point!). :chuckles:

Dolk

Slow motion video of SVT40

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I dropped my keys into the snow just an hour ago, it's 10 out, I had on double gloves as I felt around in the snow for the keys and near froze my arm, and my face from the blowing snow. Having to sift snow looking for a lost recoil spring and it's guide, or any other SVT part at -30 is unimaginable.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Wow it is refreshing to hear other people echo my sentiments on this great and fascinating rifle. I sometimes get the idea I am the only one on earth who would never buy another SVT40! Yet as almost everyone said they kind of have a way of fascination and you get a yearning when one shows up somewhere. Like a love or hate relationship I guess? Bill ;mywink;
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Well, they are a ton of fun to shoot. They really are. But that cleaning is brutal. But sometimes if I am in the right mood, I like to clean rifles. When I'm like that, I pull it out and shoot it.

Mine is so damn picky about the ammo it wants to shoot (without changing the gas setting) it's terrible. So I have over 400 rounds just for that rifle setting around.

Dolk
paul6892
ban
ban

Post by paul6892 »

dolk wrote:Read these first (that will keep you busy for a little while) :bwink:

There is one arsenal that is rarer then the Tula or Izhevsk, and that is the Kovrov Podolsk arsenal.

Dolk

Very Nice Firearm, now that I have a SKS, I want a SVT :!: :brolleyes:

It's all your fault :chuckles:
1. M39 Finn, 7.62x54mm 1944 Sako
2. M38, 7.62x54mm 1943 Izhevsk
3. M44, 7.62x54 mm 1945 Izhevsk
4. SKS, Russian, 7.62x39mm 1951 Tula
5. SKS Chinese #26, 7.62x39mm
6. SKS Chinese #316, 7.62x39mm
7. M48, Yugoslav, Mauser 8x57mm
8. Air Rifle .22, Beeman RS2

Best Regards

Paul
USN Retired

Vietnam Veteran
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Mine had a corroded gas system, and I replaced all the parts with the stainless replacement parts. It made a heck of a difference in it with gas adjustment, but it still sucks to tear down and clean. It's very high on the cool factor, just real low on the list to actually fire it. :D
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

zeebill wrote:Wow it is refreshing to hear other people echo my sentiments on this great and fascinating rifle. I sometimes get the idea I am the only one on earth who would never buy another SVT40! Yet as almost everyone said they kind of have a way of fascination and you get a yearning when one shows up somewhere. Like a love or hate relationship I guess? Bill ;mywink;
zeebill- I tend to liken the SVT to a sexy, but high maintenance woman. You know it's gonna cost you to get close to one (time, money, frustration, and a piece of skin every now and then)...but you just can't keep away :bwink:
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Greasemonkey wrote:Mine had a corroded gas system, and I replaced all the parts with the stainless replacement parts. It made a heck of a difference in it with gas adjustment, but it still sucks to tear down and clean. It's very high on the cool factor, just real low on the list to actually fire it. :D

Exactly what he said except I don't have all the replacements parts (YET)
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

lalunette

Post by lalunette »

Greasemonkey wrote:Mine had a corroded gas system, and I replaced all the parts with the stainless replacement parts. It made a heck of a difference in it with gas adjustment, but it still sucks to tear down and clean. It's very high on the cool factor, just real low on the list to actually fire it. :D
Sorry to hear about the corroded gas system and happy to hear the stainless replacement parts are good options.

As for tearing down and cleaning, I just degreased two SVTs, shot one and then cleaned it. I didn't find the tear down to be problematic. Then again, I'm used to cleaning my replica 1728 St-Étienne black powder musket. :biggrin:

They are very cool looking guns and are a "hoot to shoot" !!

I recently found two awesome videos that show a complete tear-down and reassembly. I found these to be very educational.

SVT-40 Complete Disassembly / СВТ-40 Полная Разборка

http://youtu.be/yYiKIHMAeD8

SVT-40 Complete Reassembly / СВТ-40 Полная Сборка

http://youtu.be/6F3RybJN-Mg

Enjoy !!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I don't think "problematic' or even "difficult" are appropriate words for cleaning one. They are not terrably dificult to figure out even without a video, but they are just a lot more of a pain in the butt to clean than a bolt action is all.

Yeah, the springs are a pain to deal with, but if you are on a bench or a good area, it's nothing that you can't handle. But in a ditch or hole in the middle of night....wow, I'd find a way to get a different rifle. Especially after a hard day of fighting.

For the average person firing them today they are not "terrable" ... nothing horrible as long as everything goes right. But to clean them right requires them to be broken down pretty good to get to all the residue in the gas system. Not that much worse than a M1 Garand except the system is easier to break down on a M1.

Cleaning a black powder rifle is a different animal. You expect you are going to have to do what you do to it. And there are no real pains (like flying springs) to deal with. Just straight forward cleaning. So it is almost relaxing to me! :thumbsup:

I don't think I would "not buy"a SVT40 just because of the cleaning. I think everyone should have at least one (if you can afford it here in the US). But a collection...No, not unless you are in Canada and can get them for what they pay for them. Then I'd have a bunch of them. :bwink:

What we need to do is figure out how to get those cheap SVT40's down here into the US from Canada! :thumbsup:

Dolk
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Like I said I have quite a few and I was very lucky to get some of them years ago when they were dirt cheap. The SVT38 I paid dearly for but it came from the collection of an NRA national director and was with a bayonet and like new carrying belt for the bayonet. The sniper I have is actually a refurbished rifle with the appropriate markings on it. I paid $700 for it through a dealer who was selling SVT's by the dozen after I got to look at it and others. I told him what I had found and what it was worth and he said he was selling them for $700 to me and thanked me for my honesty. Sometimes being honest pays big time, this is very similar to the way I got my RV27 too. I always tell people the truth if it doesn't hurt them because I am such a lousy liar. I think many of you have the SVT40 fascination right on the nose. Even though I am not in the market for one I look at everyone I find closely. It is sort of like the way I feel about refurbs I guess. Life goes on fellers! Bill :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

As a rule I do not educate dealers who's business it is to make money off of me. I am a dealer of cars and all sorts of shit on eBay, I spend countless hours doing my homework before I sell anything, I know what I am selling, and what the fair market value is. I expect the same performance out of other dealers as I put forth myself. I have a well practiced poker face, I can look at a M39 Tikka with a straight stock selling for $75 and not bat an eye, you will see me examine several rifles around it, giving each a careful scrutiny before I pick up the M39. I will then look it over and mention that " at least this one the stock is a closer fit to me, It's a little rough, will you take $70?" It's a dealers job to relieve me of as much money as possible for whatever I am buying, as the Seller it's my job to limit that outpour of cash as much as I possibly can. :twisted: Non dealers who are just selling off their own stuff to raise some cash and who do not make a living off of it would get a better deal from me, most of them don't have the background in collecting to understand what it is they have, selling "Dad's" stuff, that sort of thing.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

I was always fascinated by these rifles, but never really had the dough to drop all at once on one. I know next to nothing about them, but after seeing zeebills collection, and talking to Bill abut them, I don't really think its in my future, unless I had the extra money and it was one hell of a deal, and that would be after I asked Bill about it! I buy my rifles to shoot, and the cleaning part is part of the shooting, and with these being such a PITA in so many aspects, I think I'll just stick to what I know.

I'll quote zeebill, when I mentioned buying a svt 40 "don't, unless you want to cuss the rifle more than shoot it"
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.