Special M27

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
berkmberk1

Special M27

Post by berkmberk1 »

m27sm.JPG
Just looking for a ballpark estimate of the value of this item. I just need an idea. 1931 marked Tika barrelled M27, built on what I believe is a Remington receiver, laying in a full lengtth stock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Armor, Cavalry, Infantry, Recruiting, Transportation
1st Cav, 4 ID, 8 ID, 82d Airborne
Titanium Hammer

Re: Special M27

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Tough to say from that pic. I picked up a 31 Tika M27 with a mismatched bolt for $300+tax about 3 months ago. Is this all matching and does it have the reinforcement at the front of the stock?
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

Pics are from a pocket camera I'd say. They do show the bolt and barrel match, no sign of anything changed. No popsicle sticks. He says the bore is bright and not counter bored.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Not sure I would buy just on that pic but anything under 300 is a likely steal for a m27. Around maybe 350 or under as far as I can remember. I had trouble getting one on gb for under 350. I hope that is a wall hook above the escutcheon on that pic.... :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

Its one of those "oddball" I like. Probable Remington receiver, the scarcity (from what I understand) of a fullstocked 27, the mysterious "bullseye" stamp on the buttstock, an F marked barrel.......and who knows what I'll find when I get to put my hands on it. It strikes me as an a-typical specimen that should draw some attention.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

Solid functioning M27 should bring $300-$350. Early dates and unusual markings/features will bump it up a bit but I wouldnt pay more than $350 for it unless it is in superb condition and has something truly unique about it.
Jim

zeebill

Post by zeebill »

That stock looks a tad long, could that be a M91 stock it is sitting in? If so check to see if the import marks are under the wood which tells you it found its present home in the states after import. Not really what you want if that is the case as M27 stocks do not grow on trees and the hardware that goes with them is hard to find and expensive too. I could be wrong but that stock looks awful close to the muzzle end. Better pics would sure help a bit. Bill :o
neal45

Post by neal45 »

I agree with zeebill. The stock is a red flag to me. Could be a rare variation but more likely to me, an incorrect replacement. The import mark check he mentioned would be a must before purchasing.
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

It almost looks like there are barrel bands on it...
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Sgt lamb

Post by Sgt lamb »

if its the one on armslist its been listed for about a year the M27s that were stuck in 91/30 stocks were in Finnish two piece fatbelly stocks which that ins't pretty sure some body picked up a bubbaed gun, or one of the barreled actions that were floating around when imported , and stuck it in that stock which by the way, is Not an easy thing to do
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

neal45 wrote:I agree with zeebill. The stock is a red flag to me. Could be a rare variation but more likely to me, an incorrect replacement. The import mark check he mentioned would be a must before purchasing.
I've been communicating with the owner.......the whole mark is exposed as it sits. Yes, there are barrel bands. Also, a review of 7.62x54.net shows four distinct stock variations used on Finn 91/30...two are Russian and not "pot belly" style.

One possibility for the apparent mis-match is perhaps the handguard alone has been replaced......possibly exported without one, or cracked somehow, somewhere, sometime, and the owner replaced it the best he could???
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Might be the one from the guy that was on here a while back. He wanted 500 for the one he had in a 91/30 stock. Stock was in bad shape it appeared to me and also too high for my poor self. Not sure what the end cap is on it either as said before the stock looks bad to me. If it was cheap enough then maybe. :2cents: :2cents: :pointleft: that cheap :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

If you search the forsale section you might find some pics of it. Cant remember his handle though. :thumbsup:
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

desdem12 wrote:If you search the forsale section you might find some pics of it. Cant remember his handle though. :thumbsup:
http://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11608&start=20#p178103

Des, I think this is the thread with pictures of that rifle.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

That's it. He is a nice guy but wanted way to much for me. Would be a nice second or third m27 if I could afford such niceties. :D
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I would have like to have it, but it was out of my price range also. Its hard to tell with the small picture, but it looks like the rear sight is different between these two Mosins.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I do know that he did put it up on armslist as I had seen it there. I emailed a couple of times back n forth with him but the price was very high for me. :D
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

I'm going to check it out this weekend. Obviously I want to be fairly sure as its a three hour drive one way. I've been cleaning up the photos I have, adjusting the exposure and contrast (my other avocation is landscape photography......$$$$$ also...) and the one shot of the stock nose cap is particularly interesting...I've included a larger version......

The handguard may or may not have been replaced, but considering this was a rush repair (enemy at the gates so to speak) using a stock that it was never designed to squeeze into, this might have been the best they could do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Flyin Brian

Post by Flyin Brian »

it's not just the hand guard... the stock is not an m27 stock, period. an m27 stock has a removable nose cap with a hinge and a bayonet mount on it. it should also have a barrel band with a screw through it, not one held on by band springs.

I just sold a 1931 m27 yesterday for $500 but it was in beautiful shape, all matching, winged bolt connector, etc. I think it was a fair price.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Looks like the exact same one that Bubba posted the link for. I used to have a few more but I deleted them but I am sure you have them also. :D