Can someone help identify my Mosin's markings?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Sacrosanct

Can someone help identify my Mosin's markings?

Post by Sacrosanct »

I'm kind of new to Mosin Nagants, but I had a basic idea of what to get. I just wanted to know what the markings on my Mosin mean. I've never seen the MO symbol and also I noticed the "r" shaped symbol which means year is crossed out and has 50 beside it. There are also a few more markings on it which I have no idea what they mean. Any help would be most appreciated.

BuckeyeSgt

Re: Can someone help identify my Mosin's markings?

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

It's a 1933 Izhevsk. The г is for the Russian word year. The /50 was added later. No one knows the real meaning of the MO or the /25\ marks. But presumably the 50 and MO were added at the same time. Most markings are still unknown.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

SWEET :vcool: :vcool: MO red number mosin. And a hex to go with it. Nice :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Sacrosanct

Post by Sacrosanct »

On a side note, I noticed the barrel is an Izhevsk and the bolt has a star on it so that means Tula? All my parts have "Matching Serial Numbers" but that cant be true due to different makers. After checking the bolt out a little closer I noticed that the extractor had the Izhevsk symbol on it though. It seems that 2 of the bolt parts are Tula and 2 are Izhevsk.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Rifle is an Izhevsk. It was refurbed with parts from what ever rifle that they picked up out of the bucket. All parts fit from 1891-19 and 48. It is common to have a mix of parts and they retamped the parts when done refurbing. Some times you can get lucky and find a non refurbed rifle with all correct parts and correct stamps with prefixes if they had them. It I not normal though. Even the old non refurbed rifles have a mix of parts from repairs or what have you and is normal. Guns remained in service for EVER and then some. Then passed to all countries under the sun including America Poland hungary france finland Romania Egypt Syria china north viet and north korea and even south America. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
husker51

Post by husker51 »

They are all arsenal refurbished M1891/30s. They were disassembled and parts separated and bad parts tossed, then rifles were put back together with the parts available with no effort to put like arsenal parts back together. So, we have mixmasters for the most part. If you find one with all Tula or all Izhevsk parts on it, I would scrutinize its authenticity. But I haven't seen everything yet. As for markings, there are lots of theories and conjecture but most are unknown. However, there are some interesting consistancies with some like the 25 in a triangle. It tends to appear on most but not quite all red letter rifles. There is helpful information on this site and on mosinnagant.net that can give you some explanation for some markings. :2cents:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
dou44

Post by dou44 »

you need to get rid of it fast, red letter rifles are bad luck trust me I know :bwink: and I can all ways use some more. I get the shakes just thinking about buying another one. :x I am a little gready and try to buy them all.
Lewishut

Post by Lewishut »

What's the difference on blued and red numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk