Simonov 91/30...

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Len S

Simonov 91/30...

Post by Len S »

I was walking around a gun show last Saturday when I came upon this rifle on another dealer's table. It's one of the trials rifles designed by the Simonov weapons bureau in 1936. During 1935-1936 trials were conducted to improve the 91/30 . The primary one that got into trial production , at Tula, was the Simonov submission. The differences between a Simonov and a standard 91/30 are the serial # which is always preceded by the number "0" , a mauser like front band (and extremely rare knife bayonet) , barrel bands that are open on the underside, pillared actions , a variety of front sights that were experimented with and a dark , almost black , stock finish. only about 30,000 were manufactured. The exterior is still in pretty nice shape , she's all matching and without any import marks of any kind. How and when it arrived in the States is unknown. Here are some pics.

Len
simonov 1.jpeg
simonov 2.jpeg
simonov 3.jpeg
simonov 4.jpeg
simonov 5.jpeg
simonov 6.jpeg
simonov 7.jpeg
simonov 8.jpeg
simonov 9.jpeg
simonov 10.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
..of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants. -Alexander Hamilton , The Federalist Papers
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Simonov 91/30...

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, that is an awesome find to say the least!! :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweet find. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Mosinhope

Post by Mosinhope »

Now that is impressive! About 20 years ago at a gunshow I saw a M-N rifle very similar to yours. There was some buzz back then about the rifle being issued to Soviet Marines. Nobody there really knew much about it. I am not sure if the rifle I saw had an upper band with lug, but I do remember those open barrel bands. I think it was for sale for about $150.00USD.
Luthierseye

Post by Luthierseye »

Man! What a rare find! That is keeper among keepers! Congrats on that find!
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

But, DAMN LEN S,
You've got sharp eyes and the knowledge to boot on finding rare ones. :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
Almost looks like a Finn treated stock. :beek:
Thank you for sharing the great find and purchase. :thumbsup:
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

:big shock:
:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

Very cool find. I would love to come across something like that . Thanks for posting. :Drool1: :Drool1:
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
slcampbell

Post by slcampbell »

WOW! If these guns could only talk. Thanks for posting SC
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

:big shock: :Drool1: :vcool: 8-) :thumbsup: Great find, congrats! Welcome to the Forum.
husker51

Post by husker51 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: Thanks for the education! :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Heck yeah Len, great SCORE, I've only seen two or three of these posted here in the last couple years. Congrats dance5
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That was a good find Len. There is one in the showcase that was bought by forum member Miller Tyme only a few months ago, also a 1936 Tula. These are few and far between to say the least. His has the same number stamped on the stock, CB-KW-3B.
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Fantastic find!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Len S

Post by Len S »

Thanks for the welcome and your kind comments fellas. A friend of mine and I were bemoaning the lack of interesting rifles at our local gunshows when this one turned up. Keep looking , they are out there! The Simonov really made for a great finish to the collecting year for me. :)

Best regards,
Len
..of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants. -Alexander Hamilton , The Federalist Papers
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice find and a very unusual one to boot. Welcome to the madness.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

congrats thanks for posting :Drool1:
jayrocka1200

Post by jayrocka1200 »

cool, thanks for posting!
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

Great eye and great find. Congrats :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1:
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

Len S wrote:Thanks for the welcome and your kind comments fellas. A friend of mine and I were bemoaning the lack of interesting rifles at our local gunshows when this one turned up. Keep looking , they are out there! The Simonov really made for a great finish to the collecting year for me. :)

Best regards,
Len

:soapbox:
Welcome to the RMNF, :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: Very good find. Since your new here and been collecting. How about showing some other pictures of your collection. :thumbsup: Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote