WTB Mosin Nagant headspace gauge(s)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
berkmberk1

WTB Mosin Nagant headspace gauge(s)

Post by berkmberk1 »

Anyone have a go/no go, field gauge they want to sell? I'm looking for the regular type, not an OKIE type. My collection is growing........I really ought to check them all.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Armor, Cavalry, Infantry, Recruiting, Transportation
1st Cav, 4 ID, 8 ID, 82d Airborne
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: WTB Mosin Nagant headspace gauge(s)

Post by Longcolt44 »

The "other" types of gauges will require removing the exactor to use and I don't recommend that. Why not use the OKIE gauges and save yourself a lot of work.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

I might be wrong but the directions sound like there could be some fine finger manipulation required. That may sound funny, but I have Parkinson's and fine manipulation is not possible with my left hand. I can work on things out in the open, but MN chambers are shrouded and it might be difficult to manipulate a flat gaurge. A regular inserted gauge might be easier to use.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Brownells will have the bullet style gauge, but the coin gauge does not require any special finger manipulation, juns drop it on top of the bolt head and if necessary just nudge it with a pencil until it drops into place. Bullet style gauges are not cheap and then there is the need to remove the extractor, and that will require a lot more hand work than the coin gauge requires..
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I've got arthritis in my fingers, I sit in my office chair and take the Mosin, stand it up on the butt on the seat in between my legs, open the bolt and I take a pair of tweezers that I have in my gun toolbox and put the Okie gauge in on the face the bolt, close it, check it, then open the bolt till the ejector hits the gauge and tips it up enough for me to grab it with the tweezers, works great! :2cents:
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
I find the Okie gauges really do fit easy. Plus they have many members here that used them and can help . I would say get a NG and try it. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I haven't ever used any other kind of gauge before. My nubs can be a little uncooperative from time to time but I find the Okie gauges easy to use.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Berk, you won't believe how easy these are, but do you love with anyone that will assist you?
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

bunkysdad wrote:Berk, you won't believe how easy these are, but do you love with anyone that will assist you?
....ouch.........nope. I could probably make one work.......I'm just leary of some new style things...........call me a selective luddite.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I think there is a video that will be helpful. I will see if I can find the link.
Head Wound

Post by Head Wound »

"Anyone have a go/no go, field gauge they want to sell? I'm looking for the regular type, not an OKIE type. My collection is growing........I really ought to check them all."

I could loan you my Okie gauges to try. They work great for me, and I'm ambidextrous. That means I'm clumsy with both hands. :roll:
But you have to send them back. If they work for you, get your own. A small price to pay for safety. And if you spot that "gotta have" Mosin sitting in the corner of your local shop you could easily see if it's really worth spending your hard earned on it.

Tom
BenedictGomez

Post by BenedictGomez »

I have Okie gauges myself, but if this guy has Parkinsons, I would not recommend the Okie gauges since there is so minute manipulation needed. The bullet gauges would be much easier.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

If you haven't seen this Jim did a video that shows how to use them. Might help in deciding what you need to do.

berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

I decided to "venture forth" and get the Okie No Go/field gauge set........I can make it work. I need to, as I think I finally found a place to shot hp rifle....only 90 yards, but better than nothing! I now have six MNs I would like to shoot, though I probably won't shoot the 91 capture more than trying it out, nor my teally good M39 (appears to be a fresh, unused rebuild. That leaves four and I wan't to make sure nothing gets damamged.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

berkmberk1 wrote:I decided to "venture forth" and get the Okie No Go/field gauge set........I can make it work. I need to, as I think I finally found a place to shot hp rifle....only 90 yards, but better than nothing! I now have six MNs I would like to shoot, though I probably won't shoot the 91 capture more than trying it out, nor my teally good M39 (appears to be a fresh, unused rebuild. That leaves four and I wan't to make sure nothing gets damamged.
Just in case you didn't know they're on sale right now. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18105
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Okie gauges are the only way to go! :thumbsup:

If you have problems, then get your significant other to assist, as the female of the specie has greater dexterity,
and also better control when firing pistols, as well as rifles due to their slower pluse rate.

Mine which doesn't have the greatest eyesight {suffers from Long-sightedness (hypermetropia)} can group 'groups'
in a tea cup at 25 yds because of her low pulse rate with a wheel gun, as she doesn't like semi-autos.

She had a check-up years ago complaining of lack of energy, and the Dr. said no wonder with your pulse rate you're
dead. Her grandmother who lived to be 106 yoa also had the same problem and explained it to her, you'll live a long
time and feel like crap the whole time because you don't have the energy other people have.

Her grandma loved fried possum, but could process a hen for Sunday dinner in a blink of an eye, which means
wringing it's neck, de-feathering, gutting it and frying it out.

I have to do the cleaning of the chicken parts, and she only fries it. What a difference 2 generations can make? :angry4:
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

Received my gauges today. Just finished checking the tribe. As it turns out, I had much more trouble opening those tiny ziplock bags than actually using the gauges! Luckily, my bad hand (left/natural dominant) served well enough for support, and my right hand (shooting dominant/unaffected) could do the placement. The little buggers do have a knack of either not wanting to come out, or falling into the magazine, or something. Once in place, it doesn't take any time to check. All my babies passed with flying colors.

Thanx all for the help.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

The trick to the baggies is to smoosh them open. Pinch the zipper between your finger and thumb and make like you are smashing an ant. The zipper will slide right open.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
Luthierseye

Post by Luthierseye »

Advice for removing the gages is to use a small magnetic tool (I keep one about 6" long in my auto tool chest) to pick it off the bolt face. In fact, I also use it for placing the gage as well, but that takes a little practice.
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

I found just turning it upside down and shaking worked pretty well......... :chuckles:
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998