1931 Fin M27

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
InOmaha

1931 Fin M27

Post by InOmaha »

I found this for a good price and bought it on the way home from work. It's a 1931 M27 Tikka. It has a thin one piece stock with oval plugs, 2 piece front without the reinforcements, winged bolt, and swivel strap on the back. Bore seems okay, but I'll need to look closer. I noticed the mis-stamp on the date, D only barrel stamp, and that there are no other visible stamps on the top of the barrel or receiver.

These are the listing photos. I'll get more and better ones when I get a chance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Titanium Hammer

Re: 1931 Fin M27

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Very nice, congrats! Can't wait to see more pics when she arrives! :Drool1: 8-) :vcool: :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

M27s are the best finns around. Congrats. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Looks like a ski trooper, missing the front side sling hanger. The plugs are for where the escucheons were
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Very nice, :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: udi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

Titanium Hammer wrote:Very nice, congrats! Can't wait to see more pics when she arrives! :Drool1: 8-) :vcool: :thumbsup:
I picked it up FTF on the way home from work. I haven't had a chance to look at it in detail yet. There's an SA stamp just above the wood line, but no other stamps. Small import stamp on the end of the barrel. The trigger guard has some purple looking bluing and there is a stock splice near the front.

I'll need to sneak some time with it this weekend but Christmas will probably interfere. :D
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

I need one of those to fill in the early end of my collection. I can only hope to find one that good. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Armor, Cavalry, Infantry, Recruiting, Transportation
1st Cav, 4 ID, 8 ID, 82d Airborne
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

that looks really good. :Drool1:
husker51

Post by husker51 »

Looks Great! Congratulations! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

I took some time to take it apart today and take some pictures. The major items I found.
-No tang date.
-A major repair in the front of the stock.
-A piece missing from the handguard.
-A matching missing piece in the same area missing from the stock.
-A crack on the other side at the front.
-A wooden peg by the sling slot.
-Sling slot cut out under the barrel.
-A nail holding the repair at under the rear band.
-A repair on the right side near the handhold.
-No major markings on the reciever, a circle G and what looks like and E
-Accuracy shims under the tang and magazine.
-Purple bluing
-What looks like damage on the side of the magazine.
-The stock appears to have been sanded, but I don't know if it was the last owner or when they did the repairs.

An interesting one that was obviously damaged due to the design flaws of the front bayonet mount but made it through the refurb splicing or restocking with a thicker stock. Makes me wonder if it was rushed into service rather than given a proper refit. I'll need to wood glue the cracked front and I'm not sure the front sling slot will support a sling. I won't shoot it with a bayonet (don't have one anyway) or attach a sling.

The barrel is noticeably heavier than the Russian versions so I'm interested in shooting it. The clean receiver is the most intriguing to me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by InOmaha on Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Very nice!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

Here's the rest of the photos
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

From what I've been able to determine, looking around on the internet, is the receiver is an undated Westinghouse receiver. Next, I'm trying to figure out the 05r stamp on the stock.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

1905 m91 stock, reused for your m27 :D :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)