What the hell is this?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Mohave-Tec

What the hell is this?

Post by Mohave-Tec »

Bought an M44 from J&G Sales. It arrived today. I immediately broke it down and found this:

What in the world is it?
1933 Izhevsk M91/30. Hex. MO 1933/50. Matching. Red letter. Excellent condition.
M44 Izhevsk.
Judi and her Mosins

Re: What the hell is this?

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Was this under the wood ? Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Molot
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:Molot
Agreed

Don't worry about it, they just handled the rifle at some point in Russia before it was exported. You may find a few more of those diamond marks floating around on the rifle too. You can look it up in the "Molot forum marks".

Dolk
Mohave-Tec

Post by Mohave-Tec »

Judi and her Mosins wrote::soapbox:
Was this under the wood ? Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
Yep. On top of the barrel right up against the receiver but under the hand guard.
1933 Izhevsk M91/30. Hex. MO 1933/50. Matching. Red letter. Excellent condition.
M44 Izhevsk.
Mohave-Tec

Post by Mohave-Tec »

Thanks a bunch. I was reading another thread that suggested these might be a reproduction but there is just no way that would be true. It does look like just another claim on the carbine.
This is the first M44 I've seen. I can't wait to go out and shoot it. It's my second Mosin Nagant.
M44 Izhevsk.
Mohave-Tec

Post by Mohave-Tec »

Anyway, hello all. I hope to hang out here a bit from time to time.
M44 Izhevsk.
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

molot
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Mohave-Tec wrote:Thanks a bunch. I was reading another thread that suggested these might be a reproduction but there is just no way that would be true. It does look like just another claim on the carbine.
This is the first M44 I've seen. I can't wait to go out and shoot it. It's my second Mosin Nagant.
No one claimed they are a "reproduction". There was (and is) some question if Molot did any work (refurbishment) on these rifles after they got them from the arsenals. You can read up on it and decide for yourself.

The parts are all Russian (Soviet) Mosins. No reproduction parts. That I think everyone agrees on. (I think?) :bwink:

Dolk
paul6892
ban
ban

Post by paul6892 »

Mohave-Tec wrote:Bought an M44 from J&G Sales. It arrived today. I immediately broke it down and found this:

What in the world is it?
Me too, it's a Molot :!:

Both my M38 and M44 have the Laser Etched Molot Logo
1. M39 Finn, 7.62x54mm 1944 Sako
2. M38, 7.62x54mm 1943 Izhevsk
3. M44, 7.62x54 mm 1945 Izhevsk
4. SKS, Russian, 7.62x39mm 1951 Tula
5. SKS Chinese #26, 7.62x39mm
6. SKS Chinese #316, 7.62x39mm
7. M48, Yugoslav, Mauser 8x57mm
8. Air Rifle .22, Beeman RS2

Best Regards

Paul
USN Retired

Vietnam Veteran
Chiroptile

Post by Chiroptile »

That says "Hunting Carbine Model KO-38, Caliber 7.62.54R Passport"

The rest of that manual is good reading! Objects of the animal world.. hehe, they need to hire a better translator. Though, the manual definitely has character
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

While the Molot billboard is obnoxious, I must say that all of the Molot Mosins I have bought have been in pretty good shape. That's the price we pay for getting Mosins from Russia instead of the Ukraine these days. Not that big a deal.
tiberium51

Post by tiberium51 »

I think all importers should do marks like that instead of LASERING the import info on the side of the receiver

1942 - Izhevsk Red Letter /25\ 91/30 РВ4363 all matching including bayonet (my baby)
1940 - Izhevsk 91/30 (bubba got ahold of it, waiting to be rebuilt)
[] Front Sight
[x] Rear Sight
[] Stock
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Molot custom made for you! Should shoot good at the least. That machine that does the laser etching is reportably a $12,000 investment. Hmm Somebody is making a bunch of money somewhere huh? Bill :D
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

tiberium51 wrote:I think all importers should do marks like that instead of LASERING the import info on the side of the receiver
Importers are required to place the serial numbers on the side of the "receiver". Most importers now place the import info there at the same time (probably cheaper).

Molot is not an importer (until very recently) and they are not required (I don't believe) by the USA to place their mark on anything. It may be an export requirement out of Russia? Maybe? So on Molot rifles they mark the Molot info under the hand guard. Then the true importer (like PW arms) mark them on the receiver.

PW arms would not be allowed to put there import info under the hand guard. So Molots rifles get a "double wammie". :roll:

Dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

zeebill wrote:Molot custom made for you! Should shoot good at the least. That machine that does the laser etching is reportably a $12,000 investment. Hmm Somebody is making a bunch of money somewhere huh? Bill :D
You bet they are! :roll:

Dolk
Juvat462

Post by Juvat462 »

Not meaning to get too off topic here, but when I saw this thread title I was immediately reminded of this...
:chuckles:
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur
emcon5

Post by emcon5 »

dolk wrote:Molot is not an importer (until very recently) and they are not required (I don't believe) by the USA to place their mark on anything. It may be an export requirement out of Russia? Maybe? So on Molot rifles they mark the Molot info under the hand guard. Then the true importer (like PW arms) mark them on the receiver.
The marks are not required by USA, they are required by Commission Internationale Permanente pour l’Epreuve des Armes à Feu Portatives
"Permanent International Commission for Firearms Testing"

Here is a C.I.P document on proofing:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/hearings/ ... nco_en.pdf

Here are the highlights:
Introduction
The Permanent International Commission for firearms testing (C.I.P.) is a State International Organisation composed of thirteen countries which agree on the reciprocal acceptance of proof-test marks on firearms as well as ammunition which has passed the safety test.

Firearm safety tests were made compulsory at the beginning of the 20th century and in the various member countries at the times when national proof houses were set up and proof-test marks were introduced.

This led to the establishment of the Permanent International Commission (C.I.P.), the scope of which was to guarantee the safety of civilian firearms, commercial ammunition and all other equipment operating by means of explosive substances.

Proof-test marks are issued by the respective testing authorities. The Permanent International Commission, the C.I.P., has been set up to check the activities of the national proof houses and, in particular, to guarantee the presence in each country of laws and regulations to assure the efficient and uniform testing of firearms and ammunition – which would be confirmed by the proof-test marks.

The CIP Convention has the following major precepts:
•There is reciprocal acceptance of each country’s proof-test marks, certifying the identity of the firearms and the satisfactory performance of the tests performed in accordance with the pre-set regulations;
•Tests are standardised to guarantee safety and their application methods;
•At least one state-controlled national Proof House exists in each country;
•Every member country enacts a law which makes it compulsory to perform the tests according to the methods, limits and procedures established by the Convention.

Tests
The test includes:
•A check before firing;
•Proof firing;
•Inspection after proof firing.
The check before firing includes, as well as safety aspects, verification of the following identification marks:
•Manufacturer’s name, trading name or registered trademark of the manufacturer, or some other mark enabling the firearm to be identified;
•Firearm serial number;
•Calibre.

Proof-test marks and data registration
In accordance with C.I.P. Decision XVII-11, the firearm is marked by the proof house with the internationally recognised proof-test marks if it has successfully passed all the previously mentioned tests:
1) On all firearms with the exception of revolvers: on each barrel action body, frame or essential item of the closing mechanism;
2) For revolvers: on the barrel, cylinder and frame;
3) An identification mark showing the year of manufacture will also be indicated on all firearms (this makes it easier to trace the firearm in subsequent years);
Russia is a member of C.I.P, and civilian guns sold in and from Russia need to follow the C.I.P rules.

Yes, it sucks, but it means we are now getting rifles from Russia. I personally blame the damn Belgians.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

emcon5 wrote:
dolk wrote:Molot is not an importer (until very recently) and they are not required (I don't believe) by the USA to place their mark on anything. It may be an export requirement out of Russia? Maybe? So on Molot rifles they mark the Molot info under the hand guard. Then the true importer (like PW arms) mark them on the receiver.
The marks are not required by USA, they are required by Commission Internationale Permanente pour l’Epreuve des Armes à Feu Portatives
"Permanent International Commission for Firearms Testing"

Here is a C.I.P document on proofing:
Read my statement above again. I never said the mark was required by the US. I said "Molot is not an importer (until very recently) and they are not required (I don't believe) by the USA to place their mark on anything" They are not required to place those marks on the rifle by the US, I think I made that clear enough. The second part cleared that even further "It may be an export requirement out of Russia? Maybe?".

So why the big ass post? That information is already posted in the Molot forums and I even referred him to that area.
dolk wrote:You may find a few more of those diamond marks floating around on the rifle too. You can look it up in the "Molot forum marks".

Dolk
Dolk
Juvat462

Post by Juvat462 »

I kind of like the markings. I think of it as adding a "record" of sorts to the rifle's travels through history. :D
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur