Going to the Range. Clip ?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mikeg1952

Going to the Range. Clip ?

Post by mikeg1952 »

Hey Guys and Gals....
I will be going to the Range tomorrow to shoot my M44 for the first time.
But I have a question concerning loading the clips....
I have read up on it, but I got two different methods on loading them.
The first method said to just load the first four and put the lip of the fifth in front of the lip of the fourth.
The second method said to put the lip of every round in front of the previous one.
So, which method is correct....?
And I know your supposed to put your finger under the fifth round....

Of course this all got me thinking about what the Soldier in WWII did.
Did he have to load the clips a special way and put them in the pouch a certin way so while in combat, He grabed them correctly to load his weapon....
The reason I ask is, I loaded my M16 mags and put them in my pouch a certin way so when I grabed one, I pulled and loaded without having to look....
Maybe sometimes I think too much....LOL
tiberium51

Re: Going to the Range. Clip ?

Post by tiberium51 »

I'm gonna go shooting tomorrow too :D

but I load mine to where the rim of each round is behind the other

1942 - Izhevsk Red Letter /25\ 91/30 РВ4363 all matching including bayonet (my baby)
1940 - Izhevsk 91/30 (bubba got ahold of it, waiting to be rebuilt)
[] Front Sight
[x] Rear Sight
[] Stock
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

If your interuptor is working right it wont matter. If not then put the rims infront of the one below. Make sure the 5th bullet is not pushed down to low, it should sit above the interuptor. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Life is short, too short to be screwing around with the damn commie crap they called "stripper clips" Not past the "lets check them out" phase. I learned how to use the clips, then put them away were they have been for the last 15 years. Now I load from the box to the magazine by hand, one at a time slowly, nobody is shooting at me, I have all the time in the world to load that rifle, so much easier, and my blood pressure remains stabil.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tiberium51

Post by tiberium51 »

they load just fine in my 42 it even makes this really satisfying *ping* noise and it pops out like an M1 when the last round slides out out the stripper clip.

1942 - Izhevsk Red Letter /25\ 91/30 РВ4363 all matching including bayonet (my baby)
[] Front Sight
[x] Rear Sight
[] Stock
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

tiberium51 wrote:they load just fine in my 42 it even makes this really satisfying *ping* noise and it pops out like an M1 when the last round slides out out the stripper clip.
???, the stripper clip shouldn't be able to stay in the receiver after loading the rounds. If you are leaving the stripper clip in how do you sight over the clip to see the sights?
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
tiberium51

Post by tiberium51 »

when the rounds go in the rifle after you slide them down stripper clip pops out and makes the *ping*

[] Front Sight
[x] Rear Sight
[] Stock
akguy1985

Post by akguy1985 »

I just load mine one by one.
p-t-max

Post by p-t-max »

You guys who are loading one by one are missing out on some fun. :lol: :thumbsup:
sgtheindl

Post by sgtheindl »

I've tried to use stripper clips in my mosins and it just doesn't go well. (yes, I know how to load them. :bwink:) ... I do have russian ones but even those are hit and miss. I've become fast at hand loading so I just don't try anymore :D.
I'm broke because I buy milsurps. I'm rich because I buy what I enjoy.
soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

Nothing has cut up my thumbs like trying to use stripper clips - not the cheap repros - the real ones. Out of 40, I have about 4 or 5 that actually feed smoothly.
lalunette

Post by lalunette »

So far I've loaded my '34 Tula by hand maybe 3 or 4 times... the rest of the 200 rounds or so have been with stripper clips.

I've only heard the "ping" sound once though. :vconfused:

I take the clips out of the pack and "pre-stretch" them using pliers in both hands. That seems to make loading and unloading easier.

I did read a few posts and watch a few youTube videos on the proper technique for loading rounds into the stripper clips and I've stuck with the method of angling the first one in downwards and loading the next four so the base of each bullet hangs behind the one below it.

Cheers !!
Flyin Brian

Post by Flyin Brian »

Mike, where do you shoot? I know Stockton is pretty much a free-for-all ;) (I had to make a joke since I used to live there)

My friends and I go to Sac Valley range once a month on the third saturday for a Military Silhouette Match which is an absolute BLAST!! I started going to this around 3 years ago and rarely go to any other matches now, I like it so much. Let me know if you are interested in coming out, as we need more Mosin shooters there.

FB in Antioch.
mikeg1952

Post by mikeg1952 »

Brian....
I go to the Manteca range way out on Airport way south of 120.
Nice range, but for Rifles, 100 yds only.
I found out my M44 was shootin way left, I had to aim at the right hand edge of target but to hit paper.
Day after I got back from range I had a local Gunsmith bore sight the rifle to help save time and money next time I go out.
Can you give me the address for the sac range so I can map quest it....
emcon5

Post by emcon5 »

mikeg1952 wrote:Brian....
I go to the Manteca range way out on Airport way south of 120.
Nice range, but for Rifles, 100 yds only.
I found out my M44 was shootin way left, I had to aim at the right hand edge of target but to hit paper.
Day after I got back from range I had a local Gunsmith bore sight the rifle to help save time and money next time I go out.
Can you give me the address for the sac range so I can map quest it....
Great facility.

http://www.sacvalley.org/
Flyin Brian

Post by Flyin Brian »

Emcon posted the website, it has the directions there. Coming from Antioch takes 1.5 hrs but it's worth the drive. I go up hwy 104 outside of Galt and head east almost to Ione.
mikeg1952

Post by mikeg1952 »

Emcon5....
Thanks for the website for the Range.
Brian....
Saturdays are tough for me, But maybe once in awhile I can show up.
What time do you show up at the range....?
emcon5

Post by emcon5 »

They do LR shooting on Sunday at the 1000 yd range, I know there have been a couple Vintage Military LR matches there over the past few years.

The general match overview is here: http://www.sacvalley.org/clubs/high_power_rifle.html

The course of fire they used to use was the "Folsom Special"

It is a lot of fun, and a great way to stretch the legs of your rifles.