So I won this... Good deal??

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Gsragtop

Re: So I won this... Good deal??

Post by Gsragtop »

I picked this rifle up today, and the bore is better then I thought.. It's very dirty, but I don't think its that bad. So this is what a the bore looks like.. What do you think??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wingspar

Post by wingspar »

I bought an M44 with a shot out barrel. It was my first Mosin, and the quick look down the bore from the chamber end looked good. However, the bore was shot out. Bullets go all over the place, and at 20 yards, bullets were tumbling when they hit the paper. Yours looks very dirty, but the only way you’re going to know if the barrel is ok is to shoot it. Post back with a range report. If it shoots good, you got a very good deal.
Gary
WIll Fly for Food... and More Ammo
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

don't look Too bad anyway. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It's a good deal for an awesome Hungarian. Like Dolk says, just have to get a sight on it and shoot it. The Hungarian stock is my favorite without exception. They look better with age and are tough and heavy. Likely a Hungarian bolt, just mismatched... Big deal. Just make sure head space is cool and do yourself a really big favor... Make sure there isn't a half a shell casing lodged in the chamber.
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

I will tell you this, it's got one of the best triggers I have felt on a mosin.. Very light, and almost to travel..
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

You will find a lot of that "good trigger stuff" in the EBLOC carbines. Looks like the barrel has rifling left and some pitting. Good luck with the cleaning and shooting and be sure to report back. :thumbsup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

QZ, you are so right about the stocks. Good heavy wood, more dense or something? Or less loss of surface from sanding perhaps. I think my Hungarian was as heavy without a bayonet as my Russian was as a complete carbine.:P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

i think you paid the current price on these and i feel that bore will clean up i have some with worse that cleaned up and shoot good. i also love my hungarian m44 stock the most but ive yet to add a polish thoug
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I don't know what it is in the wood they used for the stocks - used to think it was an artic birch but I'm not real sure. It's tough for sure and fairly dense. But, the stocks are just bigger, at least I have noticed that. Anyway, after a while the grain starts coming up and really gives the rifle a neat look. This is unique to the Hungarian stocks, although I have seen this grain in some Polish and Romanian M-44's but not many. This is my first Hungarian. The bolt doesn't match but everything else did including the stock.
akguy1985

Post by akguy1985 »

i think you got a good deal.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Yeah lets go to Liberty Tree first before Rich even though he is a great guy we should support those who support us. I also have bought stuff from the seller you got that from and the bad news is he usually is spot on with his descriptions. If he says terrible it is just that. Now whether it will clean up will be the thing that is important. Good Luck! Bill :o
gurn

Post by gurn »

How did the bore clean up? It looked like it had good groves just cruddy and rusty. Another plus is that older import mark.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!