Springfield 58 cal. Deer hunting.

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
Buckhead

Springfield 58 cal. Deer hunting.

Post by Buckhead »

Well I took the 58 cal. muzzle loader musket hunting last weekend. Well I didn't get to shoot a Deer but I did shoot the gun and was surprised at the accuracy
at 50 and 100 yds. If I had seen a Deer it would not have had a chance. Ocala was cold during the morning and evening shoots. I forgot how cold North Florida can get this time of year. Well I had fun and told my son I will probably be back up for general gun season with my 1891 Argentine Mauser Carbine. Much longer season to hunt and better chance to bag one.
Black Powder was only three days. and could only hunt for two and a half of them. But I had a great time with my son.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Springfield 58 cal. Deer hunting.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: Better luck next time. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

desdem12 wrote::vcool: :vcool: Better luck next time. :thumbsup:
Thanks dez. I just enjoy getting out in the woods. If I shoot some thing it is just a bonus. Getting out there with my son is what counted the most.
It is a 4 hr trip for me but it is so worth it. General gun is coming up in a couple of weeks an I am going to try and get back up there for a few day's if I can.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I agree. Nothing better the hunting with the kids. I took my son hunting in oct and he was born in july. I go with him still when we can and he is 23 now. he is about to have a kid himself and he said he is going to take her hunting as well so the tradition continues. :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Buckhead wrote:Well I took the 58 cal. muzzle loader musket hunting last weekend. Well I didn't get to shoot a Deer but I did shoot the gun and was surprised at the accuracy
at 50 and 100 yds. If I had seen a Deer it would not have had a chance. Ocala was cold during the morning and evening shoots. I forgot how cold North Florida can get this time of year. Well I had fun and told my son I will probably be back up for general gun season with my 1891 Argentine Mauser Carbine. Much longer season to hunt and better chance to bag one.
Black Powder was only three days. and could only hunt for two and a half of them. But I had a great time with my son.
The most important thing
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Cool thread here that I somehow missed last month.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Tell us about this .58 caliber Springfield, is this an original Springfield rifle or a modern reproduction? Nice it was a good time regardless. :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933