new member to forum sks and ak collector

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
howiebearse

new member to forum sks and ak collector

Post by howiebearse »

Hi I am joining this forum I only have one Mosin Nagant which is a factory new 1929 matching no line outs or electric pencil numbers it was modified to PU scope sniper in Russia before it came here for commercial sales. base is steel with Russian proofs scope has star hammer and sickle below star half circle below hammer and sickle 91/30 below above then Russian serial number rifle is hex receiver Izhevesk 1929 bore is used but shiney grooves show use as with most rebuilt or re issued rifles. I have a collection of 72 sks carbines and 28 ak rifles. I also collect Military small arms ammuntion for a hobby I have quite a few MG display guns and two semi MG guns a M1919A4 and M1917A1 . i also have a few Military pistols I hope to meet some new collectors here and exchange info and pics.
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Re: new member to forum sks and ak collector

Post by Jumperwire »

Welcome to the Forum Howiebearse :D :D
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Do you have any Russian SKS rifles? I really would like to have a Russian. I'm also interested in acquiring an AK-type rifle and would like to find one as close to Russian standard specs as I can find. I can't get what I really want, a real fully-auto Kalashnikov without going to the middle east and buying one from our Iraqi or Libyan "friends" and importing it illegally, so I have been looking at this one from Atlantic Firearms:

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct655.aspx
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Welcome Howie, glad you made it. You'll find a lot of nice people here and lots of info. about your rifles. If I might make a suggestion. If you want to share what you have you could start a thread here, http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... um.php?f=5 , about the Mosin Nagant you have, with pictures. They guys here would love to see it. If you want to know about Aks or SKS's you'll probably get a much better response in this forum, http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... um.php?f=9 . That's where the semi-auto guys hang out.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Well Howdy, Howie! :D

How did you find us here? It seems that this would be a good time to start a Mosin collection to go with the excellent SKS/AK stuff.

Good to see you on board, sir.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
dou44

Post by dou44 »

:alien: and please post some pictures
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

martin08 wrote:Well Howdy, Howie! :D

How did you find us here? It seems that this would be a good time to start a Mosin collection to go with the excellent SKS/AK stuff.

Good to see you on board, sir.
Welcome Howie! I was hoping you would take a look here. The invite you got was from a SKS man and an SKS friend to me!
We are still a little on the small side in the semi-auto thread. But growing. We like our rifles and just keep learning.
I have read many of your articles on the net. Mostly collectors here.

For those of you whom have not heard of Howie, one of the most widely respected experts on the SKS there is. Probably other rifles as well.

I, for one am honored to have you here Sir. PS: Just ignore the Moose as usual. :lol:
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:alien: :welcome2: Welcome aboard Howie. :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome Howie, got a few AK's and SKS rifles myself, but am more of a bolt rifle man, that's when I am not playing with flinters :lol:
tjtM38 wrote: I can't get what I really want, a real fully-auto Kalashnikov without going to the middle east and buying one from our Iraqi or Libyan "friends" and importing it illegally,
tj, I know a guy who did 20 years in the Fed slam, max security, he was convicted on bank robbery and three counts of attempted murder of a Federal officer. He tells some great prison story's, all that stuff you hear about prison? It's true, and worse. Get caught with an unregistered full auto weapon and you will be in his old cell, with a cellmate who has peculiar tastes. It ain't worth it, no AK in the world is worth the risk of ending up in the big house enjoying the daily loving embrace of that cell mate and his friends. Don't look for it, and never be heard asking about aquiring illegal full auto weapons, if you live in a state that allows them then go the legal rout, spend the time and money and get it legal.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Welcome Howie, got a few AK's and SKS rifles myself, but am more of a bolt rifle man, that's when I am not playing with flinters :lol:
tjtM38 wrote: I can't get what I really want, a real fully-auto Kalashnikov without going to the middle east and buying one from our Iraqi or Libyan "friends" and importing it illegally,
tj, I know a guy who did 20 years in the Fed slam, max security, he was convicted on bank robbery and three counts of attempted murder of a Federal officer. He tells some great prison story's, all that stuff you hear about prison? It's true, and worse. Get caught with an unregistered full auto weapon and you will be in his old cell, with a cellmate who has peculiar tastes. It ain't worth it, no AK in the world is worth the risk of ending up in the big house enjoying the daily loving embrace of that cell mate and his friends. Don't look for it, and never be heard asking about aquiring illegal full auto weapons, if you live in a state that allows them then go the legal rout, spend the time and money and get it legal.
I hear ya; wouldn't ever put myself in that situation. That's why I'm looking for a semi-auto clone. It appears there a lot of them out there that are very close to Russian Milspec.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Welcome to the Forum HowieBearse... Glad to have you on-board.

Settle in, make yourself comfortable & enjoy one of best Gunforums on the Internet. 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Hello and welcome! Its good to have you here. Our semi auto fire forum is growing quickly and your input and expertise will be appreciated!

Welcome!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

thanks so much for all your nice greetings and compliments from by fellows that know me from Gunboards. I am interested in Military configuration guns only I have built most of my own AK rifles from kits. I will post some pics from my collection once i learn how to here. I am always available to help with something I have some knowledge of. As most collectors know and understand the information that we gather is 99% from examination of the guns we collect. The countries that made them do not share in our quest for information. They do not want us to understand their manufacturing technical ability nor capability. So all may not agree on what we say about various guns but we collectors do the best we can with what we have. I will try to visit as often as I can and answer what I can. As to the fellow that wanted a close clone to a Russian AK I suggest getting into building your own from a kit either by getting in touch with builders in your area and getting the help from them or buying the tools from some one like AK Builder to get started on your own. Gary Cole had some really nice Russian Tula kits that were brought in from Bulgaria after being there in storage for over 10 years allowing them to become Bulgarian kits which are allowed to be imported. The trouble with the kits is the people who de-milled them did not keep the serial numbered parts together so they are miss matched but still a great item for the collector. As to owning a full auto ak think of it as robbing a bank and leaving your wallet and cell phone on the counter when you leave. Its really stupid to play around with Illegal guns there is nothing to gain and everything to loose. Try firing a machine gun !!! withing minutes a cop is dispatched to find out where and who is doing it. I used to have several registered machine guns. When i went to the range i would tell the police dispatcher when i was shooting and where. Within a few minutes after firing the cops would show up and ask me to stop because they was flooded with calls and did not want to explain I was legally firing a registered gun . So often I did not get to shoot for very long. If you really want to feel how a gun feels and sounds learn how to bumpfire a AK or other semi auto that is so far a legal way to shoot. Someone now is selling a bumpfire stock you can buy to fire controlled full auto with a semi. Well enough for now and thanks to my friend Mr Woodbeef who told me about this site
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Hi Howie, welcome to the forum! It will be really good having your experience and knowledge here. I'll be posting up photos of my first SKS soon and look forward to your input. I heard a little bit about your history and even though you've only made a couple of posts here, you already have my respect.

Again, welcome!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Welcome Howie. I love semi auto firearms. I don't have very many, but even modern firearms are just a blast to own and shoot when they are semi auto. My first milsurp many years ago was my Egyptian Hakim. 10 rounds of 8mm is a handful. I own a Ruger 44 carbine, but 44 mag is a little on the costly side for any large shooting sessions. The Russian SKS I found and bought is matching, but is refurbed. It has been a excellent firearm in every respect.
Well I do look forward to seeing what you have to offer. The rising interest and growth of the semi auto section, and moreover the SKS sub section is a great opportunity to teach preservation and appreciation for such a fine firearm with a relatively short life thanks to the release of the Kalishnikov.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Welcome Howie. Dolk just set up a sub forum for the SKS guys in the semi auto section. Check it out and you could be the first to post there.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Longcolt44 wrote:Welcome Howie. Dolk just set up a sub forum for the SKS guys in the semi auto section. Check it out and you could be the first to post there.
Ain't so sure he has yet! I do know it's coming, but do not see it yet. Or else I'm not yet finding it.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

OLD OUTLAW wrote:
Longcolt44 wrote:Welcome Howie. Dolk just set up a sub forum for the SKS guys in the semi auto section. Check it out and you could be the first to post there.
Ain't so sure he has yet! I do know it's coming, but do not see it yet. Or else I'm not yet finding it.
Go into the Semi auto forum & it's on the VERY top.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Maybe its Admin only access? I don't see it either. I tried refresh too.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

MN Fan wrote:Maybe its Admin only access? I don't see it either. I tried refresh too.
I just posted there... Well anyway, that's where it is or will be as soon as it's completed. Stay tuned...

"Dang that entropy"