First spam can

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
unhealthyhoarder

Re: First spam can

Post by unhealthyhoarder »

I do not plan to reload the surplus, I plan on reloading lapua and winchester brass. the spam can is just for fun . if you need the opener ill put mine in the mail.
dft

Post by dft »

Thanks, I chiseled it open and I'll be buying normal ammo in the future. Thanks anyway.
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Keep smelling commie factory chemical solvents and you will get worse brain damage :)
I've always wondered if any crates of ammo were stored near Chernobyl and if so, where is it now? :vconfused: My guess...not there anymore and I hope to heck it's not in my basement now! :big shock:
unhealthyhoarder

AP tracer rounds yes!
dft

Post by dft »

Your's or mine? I'm pretty sure now mine are copper-washed steel case over mild steel core FMJ bullets. Silver-paint tipped for easy (for someone, not me) identification. Using the guide below and some other sites, I think I've figured out most of the can markings. My can is marked just a little differently from the one shown. Under the chisels in my pix is the marks "692-76-188" where it's marked lot-year and plant ID in WeldenHunters sample. The 188 and 76 are also raised embossed on the cartridge head as well so I'm now pretty sure the 188 is the plant ID, one of the older Russian plants, and the 76 is the year made. That leaves the 692 to be the lot number, ??
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

dft wrote:Your's or mine? I'm pretty sure now mine are copper-washed steel case over mild steel core FMJ bullets. Silver-paint tipped for easy (for someone, not me) identification. Using the guide below and some other sites, I think I've figured out most of the can markings. My can is marked just a little differently from the one shown. Under the chisels in my pix is the marks "692-76-188" where it's marked lot-year and plant ID in WeldenHunters sample. The 188 and 76 are also raised embossed on the cartridge head as well so I'm now pretty sure the 188 is the plant ID, one of the older Russian plants, and the 76 is the year made. That leaves the 692 to be the lot number, ??
Plant 188 is Novosibirsk and they still make ammo today including commercially sold non corrosive.
Cwcoolcow

Post by Cwcoolcow »

Titanium Hammer wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Keep smelling commie factory chemical solvents and you will get worse brain damage :)
I've always wondered if any crates of ammo were stored near Chernobyl and if so, where is it now? :vconfused: My guess...not there anymore and I hope to heck it's not in my basement now! :big shock:
Just can't be too careful. :-) :-) :-)
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

That is very useful! Thanks!
Flyin Brian

Post by Flyin Brian »

good luck on the reloading. I've been loading this round for a long time and its the one I have spent the most time perfecting. I'm curious about your choice of bullets though, as I've never seen tsx in anything other than .308 which will probably not shoot too well in anything but a Finnish 28-30.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Titanium Hammer

Cwcoolcow wrote:
Titanium Hammer wrote:
Just can't be too careful. :-) :-) :-)
:chuckles: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Titanium Hammer

Def wrote:ЛПС mean literally "light bullet steel {core}". It's by no means AP, it has blunt nose soft steel core simly for cost reason, Those manufactured early 1970s and later no longer have gray-painted nose.
One thing to remember: never use ammo with Ш on it like this guy did, especialy with SVD. Those rounds are for ShKAS aviation machinegun only. They have a significantly stronger charge and double crimped bullet.

P.S. I wonder how are you going to reload Berdan-primed steel cases.
:big shock: :big shock: :o Wow, that was some serious power! :thumbsup: Def, what Soviet plane used this machine gun? Was it on the Shturmovik for use by the tail gunner?? This is a video of the only airworthy Il-2 left in the world. It's amazing considering that this plane is the most produced plane in the history of the world. This one was found in the marshes several years ago just outside of St. Petersburg, Russia. Paul Allen of Microsoft fame has an incredible collection on warplanes just up the road here in Everett, WA. I've been up there many times on their "free fly days" where they fly 2-3 aircraft for an hour every other weekend during the summer months. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkdEDWZOlYM
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Def wrote:ЛПС mean literally "light bullet steel {core}". It's by no means AP, it has blunt nose soft steel core simly for cost reason, Those manufactured early 1970s and later no longer have gray-painted nose.
One thing to remember: never use ammo with Ш on it like this guy did, especialy with SVD. Those rounds are for ShKAS aviation machinegun only. They have a significantly stronger charge and double crimped bullet.

P.S. I wonder how are you going to reload Berdan-primed steel cases.

DEF he's just lucky he's firing those out of a Mosin Nagant. We've seen the torture test videos some morons did with shells packed to maximum loads and the rifle didn't blow up proving just how sturdy these rifles are but there's no way I'd chance firing those out of one. They did manage to lock the bolt up though and ruined the rifle. I'm sure though the rifle he used didn't seem to have an immediate problem, at least none that he mentioned in the video, that rifle was stressed doing this.
unhealthyhoarder

who is going to reload berdan primed steel cases?
wingspar

Post by wingspar »

I found the can pretty easy to open. It just took a few minutes, and an opener did come with mine.

I didn’t think to take a photo when I opened it, so there are a few rounds missing as I’ve shot some of it. I did do a video opening the can. May even post it some day, heavily edited for time of course. Who would want to watch 10 minutes of someone opening one of these?
Gary
WIll Fly for Food... and More Ammo
mikeg1952

Post by mikeg1952 »

I just ordered a Can, what dose mean when the Can lid has no markings on it.
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

You did a nice job.
tiberium51

Post by tiberium51 »

here ya go (if this has any relevance)

1942 - Izhevsk Red Letter /25\ 91/30 РВ4363 all matching including bayonet (my baby)
1940 - Izhevsk 91/30 (bubba got ahold of it, waiting to be rebuilt)
[] Front Sight
[x] Rear Sight
[] Stock
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Neat job of it :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt