New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

nycstlrr wrote:Hello everyone,
Guess you could say I am definitely addicted to Mosin`s. Last count I had 10 91/30`s, 3 T-53`s and a Hungarian M44.

Looking forward to learning what I can from the forum members.

Bill
Welcome to the board Bill :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

gilmo1938 wrote:Hello all, Just bought 2 Mosins at Gander mountain (black Friday 129.00) one is a hex Tula 1930 and the other is a round Izhevsk 1942. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I fire them. I am going to clean and oil them as best I can. I plan on giving the hex to my 16 year old son, he is a big history fan and in particular WW II. Been watching vids on you tube and a search brought me here.

Gilbert.
Gilbert

I'm glade you are getting your son started right! Great rifles. Take some photos of them and post them on the Mosin forum. The guys can help tell you what you Have!

Welcome
Dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Mack wrote:Hello everybody. My name is Mack and I just bought my second Mosin. Trying to learn more about has led me to this forum.
Mack,
You have two, ....you have a "collections". Post those babies up on the forums so we can see them. We love photos!

Welcome aboard

Dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

CVA-66 wrote:Hello, got my first Mosin a while back. 1929 Tula. Refinished the stock and decided the wood looked too good to stain.
CVA-66,

Ouch, refinished. Well, water under the bridge I guess. Nothing to do about it now. Removing the finish is like repainting an old chair from the 1600. The value will drop because the originality is gone.

Well, welcome

Dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

nycstlrr wrote:Hello everyone,
Guess you could say I am definitely addicted to Mosin`s. Last count I had 10 91/30`s, 3 T-53`s and a Hungarian M44.

Looking forward to learning what I can from the forum members.

Bill
Well, you are hooked bad!

Welcome to the best forums (and best Mosin forums) on the internet. We have the best experts on the subject and the friendliest too.

Welcome aboard Bill

Dolk
robopuppet

Post by robopuppet »

Hi there,

I'm planning on purchasing my first mosin for Christmas and I figured this was a good place to start educating myself.

-Ben
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

robopuppet wrote:Hi there,

I'm planning on purchasing my first mosin for Christmas and I figured this was a good place to start educating myself.

-Ben
Ben, you got that right. Thisis a great place to ask questions and we have a lot of information in the info section in the Mosin collectors forums.

Welcome aboard!

Dolk
Stesco

Post by Stesco »

Hello, my name is Steve aka Stesco. I bought a Tula 1943 Hex a few months ago as my first. I also just received 2 of the Molot Mosins from the famous 99 sale. I will post markings in the other forum. Both of them are 1942. Looking forward to learning more about them and probably will acquire more.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

robopuppet wrote:Hi there,

-Ben
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Stesco wrote:Hello, my name is Steve aka Stesco. I bought a Tula 1943 Hex a few months ago as my first. I also just received 2 of the Molot Mosins from the famous 99 sale. I will post markings in the other forum. Both of them are 1942. Looking forward to learning more about them and probably will acquire more.
Welcome to the board Steve :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
kai3wd

Post by kai3wd »

Verifying I'm a new member. Just purchased my first Mosin Nagant on Black Friday. Researching on the best way to get the rifle cleaned.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

kai3wd wrote:Verifying I'm a new member. Just purchased my first Mosin Nagant on Black Friday. Researching on the best way to get the rifle cleaned.
Welcome to the forum. Here ya go. http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... m.php?f=66 Plenty of reading there for the new Mosin Nagant owner. Here's the cleaning threads. http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... =66&t=6932 and information/clean/index.html
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

kai3wd wrote:Verifying I'm a new member. Just purchased my first Mosin Nagant on Black Friday. Researching on the best way to get the rifle cleaned.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
sonney

Post by sonney »

Hi new to this site and also new to the Mosin 91/30 I got it for an early Christmas Present. The rifle is in good shape and all of the grease is off it. Haven't shot it yet but have two boxes of 7.62x54 ammo for it. Have been looking at this rifle for a long time but I didn't want to have to take the cosmoline off of it saw it was on sale at Gander Mountain and the wood was in great shape. I have looked at a lot of youtube videos on this rifle and will take it apart and do another cleaning and check the firing pin for length.

I am new to rifles anyway my son got me into shooting long guns I mainly have hand guns love to shoot and my son reloads. This rifle will find a good home next to my 700 and AR. Can't wait until the weather gets better to see what kind of legs this rifle has. Any info on this rifle will be greatly appreciated.

Sonney
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

sonney wrote:Hi new to this site and also new to the Mosin 91/30 I got it for an early Christmas Present. The rifle is in good shape and all of the grease is off it. Haven't shot it yet but have two boxes of 7.62x54 ammo for it. Have been looking at this rifle for a long time but I didn't want to have to take the cosmoline off of it saw it was on sale at Gander Mountain and the wood was in great shape. I have looked at a lot of youtube videos on this rifle and will take it apart and do another cleaning and check the firing pin for length.

I am new to rifles anyway my son got me into shooting long guns I mainly have hand guns love to shoot and my son reloads. This rifle will find a good home next to my 700 and AR. Can't wait until the weather gets better to see what kind of legs this rifle has. Any info on this rifle will be greatly appreciated.

Sonney
Welcome to the board, the grease is just grease, it wiped right off, only our stuff used cosmoline. It's a basic Soviet infantry rifle from WW2 that was refurbished after the war and stored away to be used once WW3 broke out and Soviet militia needed arms to shoot Americans. Most can manage 3-4 MOA at 100 yards, the Soviets were OK with 5-6 MOA figuring minute of man was good enough. Fun shooters, the ammo is surplus and corrosive primed, but a little boiling water down the pipe before regular cleaning will take care of that.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

You have come to the "right forums" for doing just that. We are a "preservation" forums and we respect the rifles as they came from the arsenals. You picked a very formidable rifle from WWII (probably). We'd love to see photos of it and the guys can tell you if you got a "harder to find" or even a rare one. We have had "new" Mosins show up that turned out to be worth $1000 lately. Either way, you have a "piece of history" in your hands!

Welcome!

dolk
scap

Post by scap »

Hi guys,

New to the forum, looking forward to learning as much as possible.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

scap wrote:Hi guys,

New to the forum, looking forward to learning as much as possible.
Scap, Lot to learn here! Welcome aboard!

Dolk
bobfromohio

Post by bobfromohio »

Just joined. I"m Bob from Ohio. Just bought my 1st Mosin. Had no idea what I had until I spent a few hours @this site. My Mosin is a 1933 hex, made @ Izhevsk, I think. Have a ton of question about markings. Mine has 7 or 8 on top of the receiver, and several on the stock. Also, on top of the barrel is stamped KO-91/30, Made in Russia, a couple of marks & the number 13. I was supprised to see "Made in Russia" in english. Could this barrel be a replacement for the original? I learned, among many other things from this site, to have the head space checked. I'm waiting for a gunsmith to call me back. Question: if the headspace is wrong, can it be adjusted ?. Would like to fire this baby. Ths stock has a few blemishes and my first inclination was to refinish it. Sure glad I read the posts on this site about "leav'em alone". I will, except for cleaing. Sorry I got so windy, but I'm excited to own this piece of history. Alread thinking about getting a carbine.
-Wolverine-

Post by -Wolverine- »

Hello, I absolutely love the post on the Mosin Nagant sniper comparison between real and fake PU snipers... very helpful should help me in determining whether or not a PU at the gun store is genuine.

Kudo's on the no sporterization position. I have a friend who has a Nazi marked Mauser that he plans on sporterizing. He honestly thinks he will add value to the gun. :beek: