Enfield no 4 mk 1* restore question

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
cjo1971

Enfield no 4 mk 1* restore question

Post by cjo1971 »

Got a no 4 mk 1 but don't know the type of wood to get . It's a savage made rifle. Birch, beech , walnut?
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Enfield no 4 mk 1* restore question

Post by Longcolt44 »

My Savage has a Walnut stock. Be prepared to spend up to $150.00 to $200.00 for a complete stock set. What happened to the original stock?
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
cjo1971

Post by cjo1971 »

I don't know I bought it as a barreled receiver not cut or drilled but has no furniture? I would like the lighter colored wood but is that period accurate ? Also the sn starts 61c any idea on the year of manufacture?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The British would have used whatever wood was on hand during any repair work, you can do the same so long as the stock at least half decently matches. If you find a complete stock set that matches then use it regardless of what wood it is.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Savage used walnut when it was made, though if the Brits refurbed it, it could be anything.
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Werent all savages dated 1942? :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)