M 98 Mauser PW Arms.

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Buckhead

M 98 Mauser PW Arms.

Post by Buckhead »

:?:
Went by Gander Mountain today to see if they had any .22 lr. yet, as usual they did not.
But they had a bunch of what were marked as M 98 Mausere PW arms. $ 399.00 I think that sounds high
but I don't know what an M 98 is I don't see much on the net ether. I see K 98's and 98 K's but very little
on M 98's I just want to know a little about them before I talk to a sales person. I don't want to sound like
a dumb ass when I go back.
desdem12

Re: M 98 Mauser PW Arms.

Post by desdem12 »

Maybe Yugo k98s or something like that. A pic of course would be nice. Could be a Russian capture of a k98 also. :D
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

I believe there is or was a line of Mauser M98 series hunting rifles, a civilian version of the K98. A LGS has one, looks very much like a regular hunting arm, chambered in some ungoddly magnum cartridge, all decked out, had some engraving, pretty, but just wasn't my thing. The 399 price tag you saw may put this on lay-a-way :beek:

They may be using M as a generic term for Model 98. Like des said, possibly a Yugoslavian, or Russian capture for that price, check and see what the markings on the receiver are.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1898 is just a type of action, there are many rifles that use the Mauser 1898 action from Turk K Kales to Yugo Mauser's and 24/47's, 1908 Brazilian, 1909 Argentine, German K98k, G33/40, GEW98 and many many others. Barrel size and markings, stock style, will all help ID what Mauser you found. The M1898 Mauser action is a large ring action, the strongest Mauser action made.
target

Post by target »

Well the Yugo rifles use a modified M98 action. Its a bit shorter than a regular m98 which prevents parts being swapped between it and normal length m98s.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They use their own bolts, identical to any '98 receiver /bolt, but slightly shorter.
target

Post by target »

The Magazine/triggerguard assembly is also a bit shorter on the Yugo rifles as well. Good information for someone who is looking for replacement parts that's for sure.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Check all the markings on the rifle. PW ARMS is an importer for Molot and Molot is refinishing Mausers.
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

I hate to dredge up old threads, but I've seen the same thing just this week. I'm rusty on the topic of Mauser rifles, but our Gander Mountain has a fair lot of "M98" Mausers, so marked on the forward receiver ring. It also bore a crest, though I couldn't make it out clearly due to poor eyesight, flourescent lighting, and a really nice blue finish that reflected that light. They also had Yugos, and comparing the two, the M98 was a full size receiver, not a shorty. The selection included some with, and withouit front sight hoods. All had the stamped cup type butt plate. The stocks were of very, very good condition, with the K98 style bolt handle recess. The bolt handle itself was the turned down type. There were also a couple of Gewehr 98 RIFLES, but the M98 was different.

The rifle I looked at last week most definitely did not have any Nazi markings I could find, nor was it the typical Russian capture...it had NO markings indicating soviet anything. I woulld rate the condition as nearly hardly used The acton functioned like a good Mauser.......smooth as a plate of glass sliding over another one on a film of melted butter.

I gotta go back with my better glasses, and maybe a camera, and check it out again. It looked like it couild suck the $399 out of my wallet without the slightest effort...........I had a real hard time walking away that day. The only reason I did was because I want a real WW2 Mauser......and barring that........as close as I can get...........contemporary, authentic type, not necessarily German, for my military rifle collection.

Anyone else run across one of these recently?
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Armor, Cavalry, Infantry, Recruiting, Transportation
1st Cav, 4 ID, 8 ID, 82d Airborne
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

Did a little more delving and found this on the Gander Mtn used rifle page "The post-War Model 48 is a Yugoslavian variation of the German K98K, built on the trusted Mauser 98 action. After World War II, the Yugoslavians received a large number of German K98k rifles and a huge stockpile of K98k parts as war reparations. These rifles were refurbished, with German receiver codes removed, and the Yugoslavian Communist crest applied in its place. While the original "Model 98" marking was generally left on the receiver of these rifles,the Model 48 can be distinguished by its full-length handguard, which extends to the front of the receiver ring. This rifle features adjustable tangent sights ranged out to 200 meters. Its wood and metal are in good condition and its bore is in very good condition."

So.........a sanitized K98...........not one of those UGLY Soviet jobs (IMHO).
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Most were like you said refurbed and rebarreled also with Yugoslavian made barrels. Somewhere at some point I remember seeing them referred to as a 98/48.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Don't believe what is written all the time. The m48 is not the same as the k98. Also Germany owed reparations after the war and Yugo got a ton of mauser stuff and made a Yugo k98 mauser. Most say k98 on the side but some could have different variations. There is a possibility of near unissued of these as they were done after the war. Also as GM says some were rebarreled for use in the Balkans tiff. The k98 yugos are nice full size rifles and the m48s are not at all the same rifle and would have parts interchangeable with the m24/47 and not the k98s. So
K98s and german k98s good.
M48 and all of the variations of the m48 good but parts like bolts and stuff will not change to the k98. Bolt parts can and will be changed between the m48s and the m24/47s which are medium actions. The m24/47 should have a straight bolt but can be found with a bent bolt which is from a m48 and done at the arsenals mostly.
Yugo k98s are nice full long action and are usually found in very good condition and the prices were going up last time I saw one which was quite awhile ago. Most I have seen do NOT have crests on them but have the K98 on the left side rail and maybe the preduzce44 mark(sp)(arsenal) :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I think they are M48 rifles. And for that amount of $$$$ I find it high priced. :wink:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

There are several versions of the m48 and some have crests and some don't. There is the M48
M48A
M48B which have crests and marked m48 on the receiver. The m48 BO will not have a crest and will not be marked m48. Now it is to the trained eye that you have to decipher which is a m48BO and which is a K98 yugo. The gibber babble written by the stores gun department is taking liberties that are not true at all. I just saw somewhere in my internet travels that someone was selling m48s and the varieties for around $260 and up or down. This Is about the going rate for these. The Yugo k98s might be around 400-600ish with a median around 500 give or take. :x
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

M48s were made from 52-56 or something like that. Would have to look at my notes on them. The m48 first then the A B and then BO and finaly the BLO. Have never seen a BLO in person but would bring high to skyhigh prices. Bo models should be the cheapest as they are the m48B configuration with scrubbed crests and were used as aid to Syria and other places. :D If all is correct in the gun collectors world the m48 would be the best of that model to get cause it has no stamped parts. :D
Last edited by desdem12 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

A full length hand guard, price, being sterile of marks sounds alot like an M48BO. Was the magazine floor plate stamped or solid machined piece of metal?
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

I'm going back tomorrow to take a detailed look. I do remember that the hand guard stopped at the rear sight. The rear of the barrel was exposed like a MN is. It looked like this
kp8.jpg
only with a steel cupped butt plate, and what I think was a laminated stock (it definitely wasn't a fine wood like walnut) sort of multi-hued, predominately reddish with some lighter, some darker shades.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

My local GM has several models of various Yugo Mausers, the 24/47 is 349.00 and very nice and clean. The other M48 models are 399.00. I don't know the exact models. Some had cupped butt plates, and some did not. Some had straight bolt handles and some bent. After awhile they all got me confused.:P
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sorry but there are so many mausers out there they all run together with a stock picture. Best thing to do is snap fotos of all marks and overall if you can if not make sure and describe marks. IT will be hard to tell a m48bo from a scrubbed something else like a m24 scrubbed from say the Spanish civil war but hey we can do our best. If I can impart one piece of advice though is that 99.995 percent of the box store gun jockey know squat about what they are selling and make up sh*t to drum up sales. I have no idea where they found that cobbled up info that was wrote but definitely not true for one rifle.
Bring it here and we can help you find out for a positive id. I have not seen a rifle that someone here has not identified. I had a puzzle rifle once at a gunstore and I had to leave it and come and do research. I thought it was a turk short rifle and turned out to be a polish wz29, way better in my eyes. I got the help here I needed. There Is nothing the guys here don't know I tell ya :shock: :thumbsup: :lol:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

bunkysdad wrote:After awhile they all got me confused.
Aint that the truth. I looked at 2 mausers from a distance on the rack behind a counter and was trying to identify them before I got some help. Boy was I way wrong. I got one of the rifles correct but I thought it was the other one. It was a Spanish mauser and a Turkish mauser but I couldn't see the bolts till they handed them to me. Don't forget the south american mausers too. :roll: :lol: Throw in some m24s and some vz24s in the m24/47 and m48s and it will make your head spin. Don't forget to add the m24/52 to the mix. :shock: