Some American Made goodness

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
target

Some American Made goodness

Post by target »

Smith&Wesson M&P9Just picked it up at the local gunshop. It was used but the previous owner had only put a box through it. Lucked out and payed way under the actual value and got all the goodies with it. The holster is something I picked up later. Shoots very nice and prints a pretty respectable group. I was holding out for a glock but this convinced me other wise.
Dan4good

Re: Some American Made goodness

Post by Dan4good »

good job always great to get somthing in basically still new condition but pay used price :thumbsup:
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Nice pistol. It was a toss up between this pistol and the glock 17 when I was looking for a full size 9mm. I ended up with a glock. It was a very tough descision though. These are very nice pistols. :thumbsup:
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I have fired Glocks and really like them. I own a Springfield XD40, and sold my XD9 to buy my Izhevsk Finned Dragoon. I really like Springfield very much. I tried to locate a M&P 9mm for quite some time for my friend who took a Concealed Handgun class, but nobody seems to have them due to high demand. Target, you lucked out on this fine pistol. Congrats.
Kilroy

Post by Kilroy »

Is there a firearm that WON'T fire with the magazine removed?
"And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Rev 19:11"
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

bunkysdad wrote:I have fired Glocks and really like them. I own a Springfield XD40, and sold my XD9 to buy my Izhevsk Finned Dragoon. I really like Springfield very much. I tried to locate a M&P 9mm for quite some time for my friend who took a Concealed Handgun class, but nobody seems to have them due to high demand. Target, you lucked out on this fine pistol. Congrats.
Hey Russell, if he's still looking for a S&W 9 Palmetto State Armory has Shields for $399 right now. Those were real hard to find when they first came out but they've had them up for a few days now.
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Nice gun! I have the 9C, great polymer gun.

Oh, did someone mention made in America? Waiting for the slim bushings and screws to come in, then I am going to see whether I like the Colt grips, or the RAASCO half checkered.
Grips.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Kilroy wrote:Is there a firearm that WON'T fire with the magazine removed?
There are many firearms that have magazine disconnects. I normally avoid them. Sometimes you can't. Most magazine disconnects can be removed farely easily.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Kilroy wrote:Is there a firearm that WON'T fire with the magazine removed?
There are some with the magazine safety thing. I hate the giant warning on my M&P... Thinking about sanding down the slide and having a normal stainless finish.
target

Post by target »

Thanks guys. I really enjoy this pistol quite a bit. The big warning label doesn't bother me too much, it's not pretty but it's there so I deal with it. I plan on getting a decent light for it and a couple more magazines.

9mm has gotten considerably easier to find here so I've been stocking up so I can feed it.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Good luck finding mags for it. They seem to have dried up. I have heard there is an aftermarket mag for the M&P, maybe on Midway? Don't know how well they work as compared to the ones from Smith.
target

Post by target »

I've found a few factory mags but they want like 35 bucks a pop. I only want 2 more so I might just buy em and deal with the price. They seem like well built magazines so I have no problem paying for quality originals. I need to get a good holster and some mag holders as well. That holster is ok but the built in mag pouch is near worthless, I don't like the idea of cross drawing with my weak hand to get a magazine.
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Comp Tac makes some good Kydex stuff. And yeah, extra mags go on support side. Josh Kolbeson makes some really nice high ride single mag pouches, but be prepared to wait. A long time. http://www.shopleatherworks.com/min-owb-mag-carrier/
Thib

Post by Thib »

Target, We currently have 2 M&P's and really like them! Wife's is bone stock and she produces some nice groups with it. Mine on the other hand has had some modifications for my steel matches... I installed an Apex Forward set sear and trigger kit and a set of Novak fiber sights (you have to drift off the rear to install a part, so I figured it was a good time to do it.) All I can say is Wow! My trigger is the metal version and was pricey, but I understand they came out with a polymer that is more reasonable.

The stock trigger was tolerable, maybe a tad gritty at first but faded with use... however, the Apex is a whole new animal, takeup is minimal, pull is lighter, reset felt. Kind of mimics a 1911 trigger... relax guys, I said kind of! :wink: (yeah, not recommended for duty or carry disclaimer present)

Oh, one last thing... the Apex RAM is cheap, easily installed, and makes the trigger reset heard and felt.

Good luck with it... enjoy it as it is, or go overboard like I did. Either way, it's a nice gun.

target

Post by target »

I'll probably just run the stock trigger. I've heard really good stuff about the apex stuff though. I want to get a blacked out rear sight with the same profile as the one it has but I also want a red fiber front sight.

The stock trigger took some getting used to but I think I've got it. Now I just take up the first stage and actually start pulling the trigger on the second. Works out pretty good.
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Guess I am cheap, I painted black over the white dots on my M&P and Rem R1S. You can buy new sights if you want, but model paint is cheap. :D
m&Pfs.jpg
Did the front sight yellow. Works well for me, great sight picture for flash sight/defense shooting. I would not mind having a fiber front sight at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thib

Post by Thib »

target wrote:I'll probably just run the stock trigger. I've heard really good stuff about the apex stuff though. I want to get a blacked out rear sight with the same profile as the one it has but I also want a red fiber front sight.

The stock trigger took some getting used to but I think I've got it. Now I just take up the first stage and actually start pulling the trigger on the second. Works out pretty good.
The Novak set I got is a blacked out rear with a green front. I print a lot of my own practice targets and use red quite often in them, so I went with green...