Just heard some unfortunate news...

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
qz2026

Just heard some unfortunate news...

Post by qz2026 »

The Blaze reported today that the United State's last lead smelting plant, located in Missouri, will close in December due to EPA regulations. Could this be why the govt agencies have bought up hundred of millions of rounds and untold numbers of new rifles on our dime? Never got an answer to that one. Impact1: The United States no longer manufactures it's own bullets. Impact2: Impact Govt low, Impact US people-high. Impact3: NATO-good, US People-bad. That is disconcerting.... First more than 40% of our coal fired power plants are shut down with many more to come in addition to coal mines being shut down, now ammunition.

Expect another run on ammo but this time the supply will not come back. This is insanity bordering on treason.
WeldonHunter

Re: Just heard some unfortunate news...

Post by WeldonHunter »

qz2026 wrote:The Blaze reported today that the United State's last lead smelting plant, located in Missouri, will close in December due to EPA regulations. Could this be why the govt agencies have bought up hundred of millions of rounds and untold numbers of new rifles on our dime? Never got an answer to that one. Impact1: The United States no longer manufactures it's own bullets. Impact2: Impact Govt low, Impact US people-high. Impact3: NATO-good, US People-bad. That is disconcerting.... First more than 40% of our coal fired power plants are shut down with many more to come in addition to coal mines being shut down, now ammunition.

Expect another run on ammo but this time the supply will not come back. This is insanity bordering on treason.

Yes I was sent this by the owner of Freedom Munitions about two months ago. He makes bullets, from the ground up except the powder. Has him shaking his head. What I was told is the standards were increased 10 fold making it impossible to meet them. I won't go into the politics of it because we all know how messed up this all is. Basically the hippies from the 60s have taken over running things. The good news is it doesn't mean we won't be able to make our own bullets here, just that we won't be making them with lead we made. You know what that means. Someone in a third world country will have poor people mining it in horrible conditions, for little to no pay, putting out more emissions than we would have been and we'll be seeing documentaries about them dieing in collapses due to less then adequate safety procedures. All this does is move the production to another country creating wealth somewhere else, eliminating american jobs and driving up the cost of it.

This won't stop the manufacturers here from making ammo. It didn't stop the oil companies from making gasoline from oil produced by other countries. It just makes it more expensive. Look for projectiles to be made from alternate materials which has already been happening. And the hits just keep on coming!
Mike

Post by Mike »

The Doe Run plant has been living on borrowed time for a long time, it has poisoned a large area of the land around it.

Don't worry about a lead shortage: http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/20 ... wn-of.html
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I get my lead from the Bunkysdad Smelting Facility, located in my garage.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

and he gets it from me when I have some to spare. My own supply is enough for 20 lifetimes. If only I could perfect that formula to turn lead into gold, then I could rule the world with an iron fist :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

88% of the lead smelted at Doe Run was for car batteries. I live just south of it. They had intended to build another CLEAN smelter but when they found out the EPA still wasn't going to clean up the present one for them they figured that cuttin and runnin was fine with them. Big chunk of Missouri to avoid between it and the old PPG glass plant just south of it, never been cleaned up either. Your bullet leads been coming from china or Canada for some time now. Just start buying the cheap jewelry off eBay, I bet it'd melt down and cast up real nice...

Saw Cabelas had "lead-free" Winchester .22LR on their website a week or so ago, the bullet was tin. Box of 50 was right at what .22WMR runs right now...
AimSmall

Post by AimSmall »

found this article on the Sierra site:

http://sierrabullets.wordpress.com/2013 ... a-bullets/
bcposton

Post by bcposton »

Like some of you I also smelt and cast my own. Lead is ridiculously recyclable and a little goes a long way. Looking like a good investment to be on early
steve8261948

Post by steve8261948 »

mogunner wrote:88% of the lead smelted at Doe Run was for car batteries. I live just south of it. They had intended to build another CLEAN smelter but when they found out the EPA still wasn't going to clean up the present one for them they figured that cuttin and runnin was fine with them. Big chunk of Missouri to avoid between it and the old PPG glass plant just south of it, never been cleaned up either. Your bullet leads been coming from china or Canada for some time now. Just start buying the cheap jewelry off eBay, I bet it'd melt down and cast up real nice...

Saw Cabelas had "lead-free" Winchester .22LR on their website a week or so ago, the bullet was tin. Box of 50 was right at what .22WMR runs right now...

So, are you saying this is nothing but corporate greed and not our government at work?
Steve
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

bcposton wrote:Like some of you I also smelt and cast my own. Lead is ridiculously recyclable and a little goes a long way. Looking like a good investment to be on early
Does 1975 count as early? :lol:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

steve8261948 wrote:
mogunner wrote:88% of the lead smelted at Doe Run was for car batteries. I live just south of it. They had intended to build another CLEAN smelter but when they found out the EPA still wasn't going to clean up the present one for them they figured that cuttin and runnin was fine with them. Big chunk of Missouri to avoid between it and the old PPG glass plant just south of it, never been cleaned up either. Your bullet leads been coming from china or Canada for some time now. Just start buying the cheap jewelry off eBay, I bet it'd melt down and cast up real nice...

So, are you saying this is nothing but corporate greed and not our government at work?
Steve
yep...plus the fact that the $38 million they paid out to settle 7 lawsuits against them for birth defects caused by them contaminating the groundwater probably put a little dent in their operating capital. If you do a bit of online searching you'll find that there's another Doe Run in South America that's owned by the same conglomerate, as well as other concerns around the world, all of which are busily poisoning the area around them making bucks for the big wheels in the company.