Mosin Nagants are NOT Ugly

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
djbuck1

Mosin Nagants are NOT Ugly

Post by djbuck1 »

I have read and heard (on YouTube) the Mosin Nagant rifle described as ugly.

I profoundly disagree.

If you want to see ugly, go to any range and look at the various "black rifles" that military historian and commentator Gwynne Dyer correctly describes as, "Ugly. Utilitarian. Ruthless."

The Mosin Nagant is a beautiful rifle. It has elegant lines and eye-pleasing symmetry. Even with some scratches and dings, the Mosin Nagant is a Grand Old Lady in a world of trollops.

There is nothing that you have to "do" to it. It is perfect, as is.

For its weight and length (indeed because of its ratio of weight to length), it is one of the best balanced weapons I have ever owned/used. The sight radius is excellent and helps even the average marksman put rounds on target.

The history of each rifle-- where it has been and what it has done-- can never be known in detail. But what we do know commands respect.

The Mosin Nagant is amazingly robust. Mine (I own several) will certainly outlast me. I'm just the lucky caretaker on this part of their journey.

Thanks for reading!
Artemus

Re: Mosin Nagants are NOT Ugly

Post by Artemus »

What amazes me is the service life of this design in it's many variations.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology will appear to be magic."
1915 Tula (Peter the Great) Finn M91
1915 New England Westinghouse Finn M91
1926 Tula M91/30 ex-dragoon
1931 Izhevsk M91/30
1931 Finn M27
1939 Izhevsk M91/30 Laminated
1939 Tula M91/30
1941 Finn VKT M39
1943 Tula M91/30 ex-sniper
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1943 Izhevsk M38
1943 Izhevsk M91/59
1944 Izhevsk M38
1944 Tula M44
1944 Izhevsk PU Kazan Sniper
1947 Izhevsk M44
1953 Hungarian M44
1954.1 Arsenal 296 T53
1955.3 Arsenal 296 T53
1956 Arsenal 26 T53
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

The Mosin is a beautiful weapon!
lalunette

Post by lalunette »

jimpierce7 wrote:The Mosin is a beautiful weapon!
That's a big 10-4 !!

Why would i want a black plastic widget of a rifle when I can have something with history and soul ??
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

My "babies:"

1923 Izhevsk M91/30 Ex-Dragoon (1895 on tang)
1926 Tula M91/30
1927 Tula M91/30
1929 Izhevsk M91/30
1943 Tula M91/30 (hex receiver)
Chiroptile

Post by Chiroptile »

I also read a great deal of that on forums and message boards, and I know what you mean about youtube. I just never understand it. What is it that makes these things ugly? I have this theory that because Mosins are inexpensive people perceive them to be inferior in every way, aesthetics included..

They're just.. incredibly beautiful rifles. Long and slender, beautiful curves. Very elegant..
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

The only thing even remotely ugly about a Mosin is when you see one painted camo and cut down, with a Bushnell on it. More sad, really, but ugly in my opinion.

As for "Black Rifles", I love my Armalite Ar10. One of the nicest rifles ever built. Although I did put Magpul stock and forearm on it.

The black rifles that are ugly are the new Remington/Winchester/Savage/etc. with synthetic stocks. Butt ugly and not in my safe.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
Captthundarr

Post by Captthundarr »

As recent as a year ago you could have heard me say something like "There's no way I would shoot, let alone buy a wore out hunk like that" Then I picked one up and put it to me shoulder and that was all it took. The weight went away because of the balance. The lines are long and sleek and it just feels right. The wife is starting to want to shoot it more :D The shop at the range we shoot at has a couple T-53's, about 4or5 M38's and a couple M44's oh, and a nice 91/30. I look all of them over every time we hit the range. I got my first, it won't be my last.
1942 Izhevsk
Live, Laugh, Love
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

Rather than ugly I prefer to think of Mosins as minimalist.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Love the mosin, was love at first sight for me :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :hubba:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

djbuck1 wrote:I have read and heard (on YouTube) the Mosin Nagant rifle described as ugly.

I profoundly disagree.

If you want to see ugly, go to any range and look at the various "black rifles" that military historian and commentator Gwynne Dyer correctly describes as, "Ugly. Utilitarian. Ruthless."

The Mosin Nagant is a beautiful rifle. It has elegant lines and eye-pleasing symmetry. Even with some scratches and dings, the Mosin Nagant is a Grand Old Lady in a world of trollops.

There is nothing that you have to "do" to it. It is perfect, as is.

For its weight and length (indeed because of its ratio of weight to length), it is one of the best balanced weapons I have ever owned/used. The sight radius is excellent and helps even the average marksman put rounds on target.

The history of each rifle-- where it has been and what it has done-- can never be known in detail. But what we do know commands respect.

The Mosin Nagant is amazingly robust. Mine (I own several) will certainly outlast me. I'm just the lucky caretaker on this part of their journey.

Thanks for reading!
I like the way you think! :thumbsup:
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I think that mosins are incredibly appealing. I love them down to ever dent, ding, and the occasional hole. Newer rifles lack in history and class. Though there are a few out there that are close to my heart..... aka my m4 that saved my life many times.
entropy

Post by entropy »

They are an ingenious design developed to 1: Be simple to maintain by an army of conscripts, 2: Ensure continuity of training/familiarity. Note the resemblance to the Berdan rifles that served the Tsar's armies for 20+ years before the M/N was adopted in 1891. 3. Circumvent Mauser's patents that had every other army of the world either buying their rifles or paying them royalties to produce a rifle like Mausers'. (The SMLE and the Lebel excepted.)
And yes, there is a certain graceful beauty to the Mosin Nagant that many of it's contemporaries didn't have.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
m1guy

Post by m1guy »

To me they are ugly in a good way. The bulldozer type of ugly. Tough, down-and-dirty, get the job done.

If you want ugly, to me a 1917 is ugly. I'm not badmouthing them, because I know a lot of people on here own and like them. But that is just my taste in looks. I have just always found them totally unattractive.
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

IMHO:.......as for "looks", the M39 is always a safe bet to win honors in a beauty contest, of course I'm "partial" to Finnish Gals :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
RC932

Post by RC932 »

I'm with everyone else here, the Mosin is a beautiful rifle! I'd rather buy a beautiful Finnish M27 or an M91 for a very affordable price rather than be gouged on the wiffle bat that is the AR-15 series of rifles.

It being outdated in modern conflicts aside, I'd trust that Russian 91/30 over an M16 to get the job done and not jam on me. My '43 91/30 I got as my first rifle has yet to ever fail on me...unlike a Bushmaster AR15 where I've already had 12 failures.
1917 Remington 1891 Infantry [Finnish Service]
1936 Tula 1891/30
1943 Izhevsk 1891/30
1944/50 MO 1891/30 (possible Izhevsk, scrubbed tang)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I think they are beautiful looking rifles, so I half agree with you. I also think the black rifles are good looking rifles. I don't care too much for a lot of add-ons, but a old school Colt AR15 A2 Sporter, or M4 and I'd be super happy. Talk about beautiful, The Armalite AR10 mentioned above is another great looking rifle. I really don't find myself knocking anything because I think it's ugly.
soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

For me, a wood stock will always be better looking than a synthetic.
Mall Ninja tacticool rifles with scopes and lights and laser sticking out all over like warts - that is ugly.
Chiroptile

Post by Chiroptile »

Say what you will about the AR variants.. This is one of the most beautiful examples I have ever seen..

That said, I still think the Mosin is more pleasing to the eye.
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

i like mosin i think there very cool looking. :pointup: what the heck how many do you buy and still after more and you say there ugly and i still remember the refurbs suck thing :vconfused: :?: