1944 Tikka M91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 1944 Tikka M91/30

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Iol the screw and keep turning it the little bit it will turn, oil it and turn it applying just a little bit or pressure each turn. Sooner or later whatever is holding it will loosen up, use real penetrating oil, Kroil, PB blaster, or something similar. Rob, I am selling on eBay again, the hard part is not the listing, or the pics, or the shipping, it's the learning enough about what I am selling so I can describe and price it. I am not selling gun anything so it's much harder, endless hours of research into the world of glassware, buttons, antique cars that are not ones I have owned, sewing machines, and old telephone parts, clocks, and antique toys, even decorative statues, and figurines. Most of these worlds I would never have trespassed into except that I have something to sell and I try to do it right. Can you imagine me with a collection of mirrors, glass figurines, fine china, silver plate bud vases, or fountain pens? Bull in a china shop time! It's time consuming hard work, cuts way back on the time I can spend here, and it's tedious when it's a subject I have no real intrest in. I used to do the same thing back in the old days, except back then I made more use of the library in town, I hate getting taken on a sale and I refuse to let it happen. I am no academic who likes spending all day researching things I would never collect, and don't care about, so if I can do it everybody can do it, and I do not forgive them for taking the easy road and winging it. Doing that would have cost me thousands of dollars in the last few months, yet I see it all the time on the auction sites, or the flea markets. Laziness, or maybe they are so rich they just don't care, I haven't figured that out yet.
So far sifting through the items for eBay I have found The Old Mans cartridge belt, canteen, straps, pack, from The War as well as a German bringhome bayonet, German WW1 helmet, His packed duffel is still in the rear of a closet we have not hit yet. Absolutely none of this is for sale of course :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

The day long soak in PB finally paid off and I managed to get the screw out. I ordered a replacement from Liberty Tree as well. The threads were horribly corroded, no wonder it was holding fast. The receiver part seems ok after a heavy cleaning. So now that I can see the tang, I still know nothing! It just has the small Tula hammer, no date. Well at least I know irs an Imperial Tula receiver. Glad I got it all apart, it really had tons of grease all over the internals. Found parts from just about every arsenal and time period! Sestroryetsk sear spring, Remington extractor, Imperial Tula and Izhevsk and late Izhevsk. Got one part that looks to be NEW but its hard to say for sure. Only thing missing is some French parts. Looking forward to getting this one out to the range this weekend..
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
gurn

Post by gurn »

She is a nice one. If you think the wood is getting worse or lose you could squirt a little crazy glue in the crack. Also that looks like a scares M27 or M28 sling.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice Rifle Lotema. And a great price. Piling up the good stuff over there. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

desdem12 wrote:Nice Rifle Lotema. And a great price. Piling up the good stuff over there. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Thanks desdem, doing my best to represent the western part of the state!
Lotema
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

gurn wrote:She is a nice one. If you think the wood is getting worse or lose you could squirt a little crazy glue in the crack. Also that looks like a scares M27 or M28 sling.
I'll have to grab some better pictures of the sling itself for you to look at. I'm not too familiar with the Finn slings yet, this being my first. It definitely has age to it.
Lotema
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I am really happy to hear that you got that stubborn screw out. This rifle is just gonna always be one of those that when you take it out to clean it, or shoot it, or just admire it you'll be proud that you found it and got a good deal. You even upped his price to 150.00. You didn't have to do that neither. I think this was good of you. The seller asked his price, and we don't know what he paid or how long he has had it. I haved heard many times "I just want to get my money back out of it". Others may be very happy to make more than they paid, or even double what they paid. And man do those pot-belly stocks look great or what? I used to wonder what the heck a pot-belly stock was when I would hear that term. It's easier to understand when you hold one in your hands, but your picture of the stock splice shows the bigger beefier stock area, or pot belly, very well.:P
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

I hear ya Jim. I do the same thing, and have to take breaks from ebay because it gets to be too much. One example is some chinese tea sets I sold for the wife. It paid off for me to learn the marks and how to date them, etc. Detailed descriptions with accurate information always draws better bids. And ebay is a wild west show sometimes if you can list an item appropriately, and a serious bust for items that get miss listed. I have bought militaria and antique knives and fishing lures at steals there because they were listed incorrectly, and turned around and tripled my money with a proper listing less then 2 weeks later. However I see ebay differently then I do face to face transactions with folks not into the whole mass selling thing. I have to be fair in many situations, cause thats how the good Lord made me. Makes me a good cop too. Just as I would not try to rip any members here either.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sgt. Rob wrote:I hear ya Jim. I do the same thing, and have to take breaks from ebay because it gets to be too much. One example is some chinese tea sets I sold for the wife. It paid off for me to learn the marks and how to date them, etc. Detailed descriptions with accurate information always draws better bids. And ebay is a wild west show sometimes if you can list an item appropriately, and a serious bust for items that get miss listed. I have bought militaria and antique knives and fishing lures at steals there because they were listed incorrectly, and turned around and tripled my money with a proper listing less then 2 weeks later. However I see ebay differently then I do face to face transactions with folks not into the whole mass selling thing. I have to be fair in many situations, cause thats how the good Lord made me. Makes me a good cop too. Just as I would not try to rip any members here either.

Semper Fi, Rob
I listed a nasty looking pair of antique phone handsets, the old style from the candlestick phones. Mold, cracks, filth of 60+ years of sitting on a basement shelf, and the smell.... all I wanted was $35 because they were in such nasty condition, they were bid up to $650 I think it was, and they knew exactly what they were getting. I even got glowing feedback once they had them in hand. I knew they were rare, but when I say they were nasty I mean it, I just couldn't see anyone wanting to pay the sorts of money I saw similar items trading for, but they were rare enough to start a bidding war anyway. They even paid me within five minutes of the auction ending. I insured the hell out of that package! Now it's Carburetors, I am trying to clean the 1960's and 70's out of the shops back room, I have had a sudden run on one and two barrel carburetors, the ones nobody wanted 20 years back, all going out west. Slant six Holley's, GM Dueljets, AMC carters, VW Bug Solex, Motorcraft and autolite two holers. Junk around here, I was about to scrap them before trying to sell them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

bunkysdad wrote:I am really happy to hear that you got that stubborn screw out. This rifle is just gonna always be one of those that when you take it out to clean it, or shoot it, or just admire it you'll be proud that you found it and got a good deal. You even upped his price to 150.00. You didn't have to do that neither. I think this was good of you. The seller asked his price, and we don't know what he paid or how long he has had it. I haved heard many times "I just want to get my money back out of it". Others may be very happy to make more than they paid, or even double what they paid. And man do those pot-belly stocks look great or what? I used to wonder what the heck a pot-belly stock was when I would hear that term. It's easier to understand when you hold one in your hands, but your picture of the stock splice shows the bigger beefier stock area, or pot belly, very well.:P
Thanks bunkysdad. I'm happy that screw finally came out too, especially that I didn't have to resort to drilling it out. I'm positively giddy about having found this one. Heading to the range in 10 minutes to see how she shoots. She's a classic for sure and don't know that I'll use her heavily at the range, I don't want to do anything to hurt her value.

Yeah, with the $$ I gave him, there's pro's and con's to that. You said that we don't know what he paid or how long he has has it... Well... I do :o He told me after I paid for it and put it in the trunk. He hasn't had it very long, a couple months. He is a machinist and did some work for a friend of his and in return he got the rifle in trade. What he puts his hourly rate at, that I don't know.. But yeah, other than time and some muscle, he wasn't out of pocket for this one.

I agree with you on the pot belly stocks, they really are great looking. Not enormously different in some regards but you can tell that it's just a bit different. I also really like the look and the feel of the pine-tarred stocks of the Finns. All in all, this one puts a huge grin on my face. Now I have to go and start figuring out how to get my wife to agree that Finn rifles make good New Years, Valentines, St Patricks Day, Memorial Day and Summer Solstice day gifts...
Lotema
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Super ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Drool1: :Drool1: :big shock: Great time to be in the right place. Great find ! did you have a date on the tang ? Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Judi and her Mosins wrote::soapbox:
Super ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Drool1: :Drool1: :big shock: Great time to be in the right place. Great find ! did you have a date on the tang ? Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
Thanks Judi. Unfortunately no, I didn't find a date on the tang, just a small Tula hammer. It's Imperial but that's about all that I'm gonna be able to know at this point. On the plus side, this rifle shoots VERY nicely. I took it to the range this morning. Here's a pic of the first five shots (@50 yards).. Shoots a bit high but the groupings are fantastic!

Lotema
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Wow, very nice! I wanted to make it up to the ISC yesterday to see her debut but got stuck working longer than I had planned. Glad to see she's also a great shooter! :thumbsup:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

A great deal!!! Excellent find. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hey that shoots just like it looks. Fantastic.
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

Tikka m/91-30s are often great shooters. But your rifle appears to be fantastic!!

Congrats, that is a really fine rifle!
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Thanks guys. Room her back to the range today hoping to get out to 100 yards but they had a black powder turkey shoot today, couldn't even get a 50 yard lane! Spent some time chatting with a few other guys that showed up with mosins, one was a Russian whose grandfather was a sniper back in WWII. Nice guy and he had a sweet looking M44 out there.

Sent some rounds down range today @25 yards in between the chit chat. Groupings were still fantastic, just making me want to take off some time from work this week to try 100! Absolutely my favorite rifle.
Lotema