1944 Tikka M91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Lotema

1944 Tikka M91/30

Post by Lotema »

Taking a small break from work, I was perusing armslist to see what new Mosins might be available in the area. I came across a listing for multiple rifles (only one Mosin) and figured I'd click further to see what it was. The description was vague but interesting. It simply said "Mosin is stamped 1943, octagon receiver" along with the price. I was intrigued and glanced down at the photo to see what else I could determine. The photo had 5 rifles along with other miscellaneous parts but I found the Mosin and squinted at my phone to see if I could make out any details. I was pretty sure I was seeing Finn sling hangers on it and got a bit excited. I had a problem though since I'm currently "banned" from buying any more due to having bought so many already this year. I forwarded the link to my wife and told her she could get me this one for Christmas. Half joking, half hoping.. She said if that's what I wanted for Christmas, then I could... Woo hoo! I emailed the seller and we agreed to meet. I didn't ask any more probing questions. For the price it was listed at, I didn't think he really knew what he had and I wasn't going to let on that I did. (I hope he doesn't frequent here and see this!)

We met up and did some quick chit-chat while he unwrapped it. He commented about how he couldn't believe how many people had emailed him about the Mosin. He said he had one other that was in much nicer condition and that was the one he wanted to keep. I waited patiently (not my forte) while he unwrapped it and sure enough, there were the Finn sling hangers! My eyes hadn't lied to me after all. Took a quick look at the barrel shank ad saw it was actually a 1944 Tikka! Sweet, I don't have a Tikka yet! I pulled the cash out of my pocket and gave it to him and secured the rifle in the back of my truck. We then chatted a bit about the rifle, why it had the sling hangers, a bit about the Finn vs Russian variants etc. As I talked, I swear his face was getting a bit pale. I think he started to realize that I was getting a pretty good deal. I figured that was the right time for me to leave, giggling all the way...

So she's not perfect, there is a crack in the butt of the stock, so after you see the pictures of that if you have some good recommendations on how to help preserve that properly, I would be greatly appreciative. Other than that it's in very nice shape. I can't remove the rear screw in the receiver though, it's super tight. I'm going to let it soak overnight in some penetrating oil and hope that helps. I don't think it's been fully cleaned on the inside since it came over. but the outside seems to have been reasonably well cleaned. I'm very curious about the tang date, it's killin me not being able to get to it...

Ok, so without further ado, here are some pictures.

Barrel Shank. Tikka made about 24,000 91/30's. This one appears to be number 8,793. 8k of them were stamped 1943. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's an Imperial receiver... Oh why won't that screw come loose!

Bolt

Here is the crack in the stock..

Magazine floorplate.. It's been pseudo-scrubbed.

Finn spliced stock..

CAI Import mark on the barrel.

Of course it also came with a Finn sling as well. It's a bit worn and cracked but I'm happy to finally have one. So what do you think, is that crack in the stock going to be a serious issue for me? I think I still made out pretty good on this one either way. Cost me less than what Judi has in her shoe when she goes jogging. :lol:
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Sgt. Rob

Re: 1944 Tikka M91/30

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Nice! :thumbsup: Those Finn 91/30's are great, depending on just how much of a "steal" you got, you may want to think about reimbursing them a little. It never hurts to be fair with someone, as it will enhance your own reputation and may lead to future contacts for more.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

His asking price was $125. I did actually throw him another $25, that was before I gave him the 411 on it. Hey, I've got to have a good deal now and then too right? :)
Lotema
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Awesome find and a great price, congrats! I'm looking forward to seeing that one in person at the ISC! :Drool1: 8-) :thumbsup: :Drool1: :Drool1:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A buck and a quarter for a four hundred dollar rifle.......OK...yes, there is a special corner in hell.....but think of the fun you will have with that rifle before you get there :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

:pointup: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:

Somebody call a cop! What a bargain :big shock: :Drool1: :Drool1: and I too hope the gentleman doesn't frequent here...... :shifty: I thought "I" got a good deal on a TIKKA 91/30, :biggrin: , BUT yours is easily the single best deal I personally have ever seen! :vcool: :vcool:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
+dhic

Post by +dhic »

Cure for tight screws. Use a good , tight fitting tip and a18volt impact driver. Clamp the rifle and be sure to hold the screw gun square to the screw . Good luck . +dhic.
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

:Drool1: Very nice !! There is a hole in my collection that is waiting to be filled by a Finn 91/30. Just havent stumbled upon one yet..Insofar as giving the seller a bit more money due to his ignorance, I sympathize but disagree. He used a computer to advertise his wares. He could have used it to educate himself as well. We all have.....
Jim

Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

+dhic wrote:Cure for tight screws. Use a good , tight fitting tip and a18volt impact driver. Clamp the rifle and be sure to hold the screw gun square to the screw . Good luck . +dhic.

:big shock: :big shock: :big shock:

Thats a recipe for trouble.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ffeng31 wrote::Drool1: Very nice !! There is a hole in my collection that is waiting to be filled by a Finn 91/30. Just havent stumbled upon one yet..Insofar as giving the seller a bit more money due to his ignorance, I sympathize but disagree. He used a computer to advertise his wares. He could have used it to educate himself as well. We all have.....
Yep, I am not being paid to do the homework for other sellers, they couldn't afford my rates anyway.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
ffeng31 wrote::Drool1: Very nice !! There is a hole in my collection that is waiting to be filled by a Finn 91/30. Just havent stumbled upon one yet..Insofar as giving the seller a bit more money due to his ignorance, I sympathize but disagree. He used a computer to advertise his wares. He could have used it to educate himself as well. We all have.....
Yep, I am not being paid to do the homework for other sellers, they couldn't afford my rates anyway.
In many situations I probably wouldn't have either but I guess I was feeling gratuitous last night. Got to eat at one of my favorite local BBQ joints while waiting to meet up with the guy and since I rarely get to go there, I was in a pretty good mood. Good BBQ, a couple of pints of my favorite beer and a new Tikka... It was a good night.

What do you think about that crack in the stock though? That one is pretty sizable and I certainly don't want it to grow any larger. Any recommendations on what glue/fill to put in there to help stabilize it?

As far as the screw goes, the soak over night didn't help enough. I managed to get it to turn 1/2 revolution this morning and that's it. I'm definitely going to have to replace that screw once I do get it out though. It was not amused by my final attempt this morning to get it to budge. There's still enough there to get an ok grip and I can always use the "steel wool trick" to fill it in a bit for more grip. It's one stubborn SOB. I have to know what's on that tang!
Lotema
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Titanium Hammer wrote:Awesome find and a great price, congrats! I'm looking forward to seeing that one in person at the ISC! :Drool1: 8-) :thumbsup: :Drool1: :Drool1:
Thanks Hammer! I was wondering which 91/30 I was going to take to the range this weekend and I guess I figured out which it will be! It really needs a good cleaning in the mag and trigger area but that dang screw is keeping that from happening. Even if I can't get that out, she'll still make it to the range on Sunday. The chamber looks good enough for a few rounds and the bore, well, this one is probably the cleanest and shiniest bore that I have. The rifling looks pretty much perfect.
Lotema
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

First of all, congrats. The only thing I would have done different is less talk after the sale. If I wanted to fellowship it would be talking about the weather. The butt stock isn't cracked, it is a seam to what is technically a 3 piece stock. If you remove the butt plate you will be able to see another area of fine craftsmanship in detail. Look at how the two pieces of wood are fitted in a strong elongated dovetail joint. It really is amazing craftsmanship. Lastly, make sure you have a screwdriver that has a blade that fits the entire screw slot, not just 3/4ths of the slot or whatever. Gunsmith screwdrivers are best because they are made to fit precisely. When you see screws on guns that are screwed up:P then you know that somebody used the wrong tool for the job. It's possible to mess one up anyway, but much less likely than you think. Not having the correct screwdriver and therefor using the closest thing is not wise. Just buy what you need, it'll be used over and over. Excellent luck you had here, but if you see the same seller deciding to sell the nicer Mosin because he changed his mind about keeping it, expect to pay more because you educated him enough to peak his interest and give him good reason to do his due diligence, and if he sees what they are worth he may do just that.
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

I dont see the crack getting any worse. The area in front of , and to the rear of, looks solid If you take off the butt plate you should see the joint. Some are a simple v-groove and some are more complex where the spliced piece must actually be slid in from the end. If it is the latter you should have no worries. If it is a simple v-groove I would just watch it . This is a low/no stress area unless you bounce the butt on the floor. Insofar as the screw goes, do yourself a favor and get a hand impact driver. I have one and they are a lifesaver in these situations.
Jim

ZKend

Post by ZKend »

I paid $400 cash for a 1943 all matching non-rebuild 1943 Colt M1911A1 in about 99% condition. I wouldve given more, but that is what he wanted. The magazine even had 43' headstamped 45acp ball in it. All the tools are available to properly research these firearms, or a least get a ballpark value. If no effort is taken in part of the seller, why do they deserve full price for being non-educated on the matter. He was happy, I nearly had a heart attack by the end of it, but was ecstatic nonetheless.
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

bunkysdad wrote:The butt stock isn't cracked, it is a seam to what is technically a 3 piece stock. If you remove the butt plate you will be able to see another area of fine craftsmanship in detail. Look at how the two pieces of wood are fitted in a strong elongated dovetail joint. It really is amazing craftsmanship.
When I first saw it, it was pretty dark and my impression was that it was just the seam of a splice like you said. Didn't realize that it had separated that much until after I got it home. I would have bought it either way, so I'm ok with it. Would you bother trying to fill that in at all or just leave it as is?
bunkysdad wrote:Lastly, make sure you have a screwdriver that has a blade that fits the entire screw slot, not just 3/4ths of the slot or whatever. Gunsmith screwdrivers are best because they are made to fit precisely. When you see screws on guns that are screwed up:P then you know that somebody used the wrong tool for the job. It's possible to mess one up anyway, but much less likely than you think. Not having the correct screwdriver and therefor using the closest thing is not wise. Just buy what you need, it'll be used over and over.
I've got a full gunsmith screwdriver set and have been using the one with the best fit for sure. I stripped enough screws in my youth that I'm not very careful about not doing that anymore. This one still has enough left to grip, it's just started to have a bit more of a propeller shape with the force of the driver pushing the metal forward and up but still vertical in the slot. I'm not sure that I'm doing a good job in describing that. I put some more penetrating oil in there while I'm at work, so hopefully I'll be able to get it to move when I get home.
bunkysdad wrote:Excellent luck you had here, but if you see the same seller deciding to sell the nicer Mosin because he changed his mind about keeping it, expect to pay more because you educated him enough to peak his interest and give him good reason to do his due diligence, and if he sees what they are worth he may do just that.
True, good point and I will keep that in mind in the future. His "nicer" Mosin is a '43 Izhevsk 91/30 refurb in a war time stock. He thought it was nicer because the stock was a one-piece instead of the spliced stock and he preferred the post & globe front sight. To each his own I guess, I think the Finn he sold me was likely nicer.
Lotema
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

All I'm saying Gents, is it behooves the OP to be fair, particularly knowing that the seller has another, and should he decide to sell, it would be nice to be the first one contacted. Knowing that he may have been ripped off now makes it unlikely he will contact the OP first should he sell the other rifle.

Second, We're gun guys on this board. We know what to search out exactly when we are buying and selling. Many folks out there will have no idea to add say "FINN" to a Mosin search. And may not recognize its significance even if they stumble on some info. Nothing wrong with a deal, I have no qualms about it when it comes to buying from dealers who should know better, but personally, I sleep better at night if I am fair with somebody who is not a regular gun person.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Ok, here's another question about this rifle for you guys. With this stamp on the receiver in the below image... Training Rifle mark?

Lotema
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

I saw that rifle too. I closed the page when I read FTF only. RATS!
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

MarksmanTim wrote:I saw that rifle too. I closed the page when I read FTF only. RATS!
I'm just glad I was first in line in his email queue. By the time he responded to me he had another 5 emails. When I met him later that night, he had at least another 15. He just couldn't understand why there was so much interest in that Mosin!
Lotema