1935 m28/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
fintowin

1935 m28/30

Post by fintowin »

I found this 28/30 so I had to buy it. It has the one piece Russian stock, but I think it has been sanded on. I don't see any stock markings at all, and it is very smooth. The price seemed good at 350.00 no paperwork or tax. The numbers (2 4 6 8) on the side of the rear sight seem to be a different font than the other 28/ 30's I've seen. I really don't know much about these, can anybody give me info on my new Finn?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
polymerase2

Re: 1935 m28/30

Post by polymerase2 »

I have two Finn stocks. They look similar. May be an arsenal refurb, or natural stock. Most bubba sanding is uglier and usually followed by by my my namesake; The dreaded poly.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

:Drool1: Very nice !!
Jim

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It's good that you found it. Is this your first 28/30? I'd like to find one eventually.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Dang nice. A few of thse have been showing up, I too would love to find one someday. :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1: Stock looks a little off but without in hand hard to tell on it. I see the syt mark in the finger groove but it could have been lightly sanded during refurb. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

bunkysdad wrote:It's good that you found it. Is this your first 28/30? I'd like to find one eventually.
Yes. My first 28/30. I found it by chance when I went to visit a guy. He had it all taken apart, and told me it was an m28 and "these are rare". I knew what it was, & I asked him what he wanted for it and bought it.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

It has been sanded all right. But nice rifle nevertheless.

Original m/28-30 finish is thick and somewhat glossy Pomo-lacquer.

Like this:

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... hp?t=15937
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Bugelson wrote:It has been sanded all right. But nice rifle nevertheless.

Original m/28-30 finish is thick and somewhat glossy Pomo-lacquer.

Like this:

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... hp?t=15937
If I am seeing right it also has a light AV whatever marking on the right butt stock. This makes it a one piece Finnish stock which can be smooth and also hardly perceptible in a coating, often they escaped the Pomo coating. The font on the distance markings looks just fine for what I can see of it. Is there an aluminum sleeve on the barrel front? Don't go hyper if there is not as often the stocks were not cut with a clearance for one so none is there. That relieving for them if often almost impossible to spot unless you lay the with and without stocks right next each other. If that is indeed a one piece former M91 stock to me it is even more desirable. The SYI marking in the finger groove would point toward that being the facts on it. The 1935 date has for me been a hard one to find and I paid dearly for the one I have so cherish a little bit more for I have been chasing these a lot more years than you! So Congrats are in order! PS the finish looks great from an online picture point of view which in my mind is only akin to a lucky guess for ID'ing purposes. :D
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Looks like it is an early M28/30 stock without the front reinforcing crossbolt. Probably does not have the front barrel sleeve, either. The finish looks like it could be correct.

Here's a later stock.

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

It does have the sleeve in the stock around the barrel at the nosepiece. Also, I notice that the wood is quite "proud" over the receiver metal, and the sling slot escutcheons are deep to flush. The finger grooves are nice and sharp. Bubba sanding is often to done to go deeper than battle scars, and requires a fair amount of wood removal. I admit my bias here, but starting to lean towards non-bubba.
-George Washington
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

Looks legit to me!
Here's the most definitive link on 28/30's that I know of.
http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/Mosi ... uction.asp
A nice rifle and a good price - congrats!
akguy1985

Post by akguy1985 »

Nice 28/30
Bugelson

Re: Vs: 1935 m28/30

Post by Bugelson »

I think I was wrong in the first place.

Maybe it was not sanded after all as it sounds like it was not.

But the finish does not look legit to me in the photos. Maybe someone stripped the lacquer finish off...