Original Rogers & Spencer Info

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
zaitsev44

Original Rogers & Spencer Info

Post by zaitsev44 »

I inherited this original Rogers and Spencer from my grandmother. All of it matches and it has early numbers (707), it's missing a screw, some springs, and the loading arm. The story with it is that is was used by a Union soldier who was a calvaryman for New York, that man was my grandmothers several-greats back grandfather. Only 4,400 were made, but very few were delivered for the Union. I don't trust the story on the premises of "buy the gun not the story". Can anyone shed some light on this gun and possibly an appraisal? Thanks. Pictures to come.
zaitsev44

Re: Original Rogers & Spencer Info

Post by zaitsev44 »

ImageImageImageImageImage
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I see a cartouche on that stock so I am thinking this is one of the rare issued R&S revolvers. Very few were issued, most were sold to Bannerman some years after the war as scrap and he sold the new revolvers in his catalog for years. As this is a family heirloom I don't see any likelihood of fakery here, it looks to me like you have a very rare Union Army, or early Indian wars sidearm. Do nothing to this revolver except oil it, any attempt to "clean it up" will put a serious dent in it's value, and it's value is going to be someplace in the four figures. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
zaitsev44

Post by zaitsev44 »

I might sell it. It doesn't really fit in my collection and it's just collecting dust were it's at now. With a major Civil War interest in my area (north Alabama, just miles from several Tennessee battle sites), I figured it should sell quickly. What should be my asking price?
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

zaitsev44 wrote:I might sell it. It doesn't really fit in my collection and it's just collecting dust were it's at now. With a major Civil War interest in my area (north Alabama, just miles from several Tennessee battle sites), I figured it should sell quickly. What should be my asking price?
I'd be real hard pressed to sell a family heirloom like that. It's easy to go buy pieces that have other peoples history but you can't buy ones with your own. You sure that's what you want to do?
zaitsev44

Post by zaitsev44 »

WeldonHunter wrote:
zaitsev44 wrote:I might sell it. It doesn't really fit in my collection and it's just collecting dust were it's at now. With a major Civil War interest in my area (north Alabama, just miles from several Tennessee battle sites), I figured it should sell quickly. What should be my asking price?
I'd be real hard pressed to sell a family heirloom like that. It's easy to go buy pieces that have other peoples history but you can't buy ones with your own. You sure that's what you want to do?
I mean before I had it, it was sitting in a cardboard box. I don't have much use for it. I see what you mean though. I'd just prefer to have something that I can use and enjoy.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I would Gunbroker it, as is, and only after exhaustive research. No crappy auction with bad pictures. You can research for sold prices if you can find any. My brother sold a civil war Remington in similar non-working condition about 3 years ago and it brought 2800.00! This is more rare.
zaitsev44

Post by zaitsev44 »

I have found 2 that have been sold, and these were sold several years ago. They both were complete and original and looked much better than mine.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sell it? An absolutely priceless piece of family history that some here would actually commit murder to have? Are you f&^%$# kidding me?
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A family heirloom is something you are simply the steward of for a short time, then you pass it on the next generation, hopefully in as good a condition as you received it.
Theodore Roosevelt
zaitsev44

Post by zaitsev44 »

I called my grandmother to try to dig up some solid proof that it was used in the war, and she said that none of her family served in the Civil War. She said half of her family came from Italy in 1880s and the other half from Ireland in the same time period. So that part bums me out cause she lied to me. I asked my dad and he said that he remembers the revolver from when he was a kid, so its been the family for over 40 years or so. For all I know it could've been picked up in a yard sale in the 50s.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No matter, a piece like this is something milsurp arms collectors tend to hear about more than see, it is a rare privilege to own any weapon that was used during the States War, and revolvers are by far the less common of these. You are holding a piece of American history, and your grandmother is only one part of your family. Guns tend to get passed around in families, could be some other member, maybe even the family of one of your other three grandparents had this, you never know. In any event it still would have 60+ years of family history on it even if nobody carried it in the war. A gun like this would be right in the price range of an Irish, or Italian immigrant during the 1880's, and back then a man owned a gun, it was expected, and in some places necessary for survival.
Theodore Roosevelt
zaitsev44

Post by zaitsev44 »

JYD, I understand and respect what you mean. But it's doing no good in my possession, where as with a person who collects Civil War weaponry will actually enjoy it and have a place for it. I just think it can have a better home than with me, it's just collecting dust here. Maybe there's someone out there who has been looking for one all their life, this could fulfill that search for them.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

How many times have I been watching Antiques Roadshow and hollering "sell it" at the tv screen! :P
Everyone's needs are different, especially financial needs.