Gew98, 1916 Mauser Oberndorf

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
RC932

Gew98, 1916 Mauser Oberndorf

Post by RC932 »

Well since I've seen a couple of Gew98s already go up, I might as well throw up some photos I took of my wall hanger. My photos really don't do it justice. It's near matching, however the rear band doesn't match and the bolt doesn't match the rifle (however it's all matching to itself.) No import stamps as well. Stock has the brass disc, though any markings that would've been on it are long gone.

Unfortunately this one was bubba'd by a previous owner internally. :angry4: Bubba took a hand drill to the chamber and bored it out to some wildcat cartridge. My best guess would be 8mm-06, but I'm not sure as there's no stamps to prove it. I've only fired a single Yugoslavian service round out of it. A ring formed about 1.25" below the top of the casing and balloons out further below that ring than above. It's really a wall hanger at this point.

I also have a 1903 dated Simson bayonet that I got with this rifle, unfortunately with no scabbard.

I'm also looking to part with it if there's any parties interested in owning it for the piece of history. It currently has a repro sling on it, which is really the only non original part on it. I figured I might as well show it off to the forums. Pretty rare to see the original battle configuration around these days. :thumbsup:
1917 Remington 1891 Infantry [Finnish Service]
1936 Tula 1891/30
1943 Izhevsk 1891/30
1944/50 MO 1891/30 (possible Izhevsk, scrubbed tang)
desdem12

Re: Gew98, 1916 Mauser Oberndorf

Post by desdem12 »

Nice wall hanger anyway. Tis a dam shame someone rechambered it. :cry:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Gew98, 1916 Mauser Oberndorf

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Still looks good on the outside. :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt