New Finned NEW

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
john_the_plinker

New Finned NEW

Post by john_the_plinker »

Made a quick trip to my favorite push...er...dealer's shop today to pick up this Finn marked New England Westinghouse M91. To say it oozes character would be an understatement. Little to no bluing left on the muzzle and buttplate, thin on the magazine, while the receiver and lower barrel still have quite a bit. Serials on bolt and buttplate match the barrel, mag is unnumbered. The walnut stock has the English contract mark, is covered with old nicks, scratches, dings and other wear. Bolt is a typical Finn mish mash of parts from various arsenals. The bore actually looks good, needs a little cleaning but the rifling is strong and fairly sharp.
Now I know you guys and gals want some pics, so here they are!
Judi and her Mosins

Re: New Finned NEW

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Very nice :thumbsup: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: the wood really does add much more to it. Wonder how, and how long that occured over ...Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Wow, that looks strangely familiar. I was just about to go check on mine to make sure it was still there but then I realized that yours has a handguard, but mine is missing. I guess it is safe to say you have had a great day. Woo hoo
Super fine old war horse.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Super finned NEW. Looks like the war was "good" to it. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Sweet. Nice deep stampings on the barrel. :vcool: :vcool:

Stock looks like the owner was fighting off lions and tigers with it :lol: I thought you were supposed to shoot them... :roll: Like the character of this one.
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

Very Nice :attn: :attn: :attn: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

Beautiful rifle! I just love the ones with character.
husker51

Post by husker51 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Looks like it definitely got some use..
:thumbsup:
Nice Rifle..
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Homer2

Post by Homer2 »

What letter is on the top of the receiver tang? It will be a M, E, or H with an arrow to the left (generally left). That tells which of the three Westinghouse plants made it.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I find the fact that they were made in 3 plants for NEW interesting in itself.
finloq

Post by finloq »

bunkysdad wrote:I find the fact that they were made in 3 plants for NEW interesting in itself.
And parts were subcontracted to many other companies as well. Clawson's book has an interesting page, identifying many marks and the actual manufacturer for NEW parts.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

I tried to talk Rick out of that one a couple of weeks back John, but Rick keep saying something about you needing a fix real bad and you where so desperate that you where thinking about buying a 42 Izhevsk in an Archangel stock to get your Mosin Fix. ;mywink;
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Sgt lamb

Post by Sgt lamb »

That stock has the been there done that look........... like maybe ran over by a T26 tank good thing the finns didn't stick it in a replacement two piece stock
Teleoceras

Post by Teleoceras »

WOW! That old soldier SCREAMS HISTORY! :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:

Very nice find! :thumbsup:
VKT 1944 M39
Tula 1935 M91/30
SAKO 1941 M39 Straight stock
Tula 1939 M91/30
Tikka 1942 M91
Tikka 1928 M27
Tula 1936 M91/30 Finnish rebuilt
Tikka 1944 M91/30
SAKO 1942 M39
Tula 1930 M91 Dragoon Finnish capture
SAKO SK.Y 1943 M39
SIG 1928 M28
Tula 1898 M91

-Teleoceras
john_the_plinker

Homer2 wrote:What letter is on the top of the receiver tang? It will be a M, E, or H with an arrow to the left (generally left). That tells which of the three Westinghouse plants made it.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
E, with an arrow to the left.
john_the_plinker

Miller Tyme wrote: I tried to talk Rick out of that one a couple of weeks back John, but Rick keep saying something about you needing a fix real bad and you where so desperate that you where thinking about buying a 42 Izhevsk in an Archangel stock to get your Mosin Fix. ;mywink;
Oh yeah, even with a chopped barrel and chromed! :devil2:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
john_the_plinker

Thanks everybody! I am really tickled with one! I prefer the ones with "character" to start with, but this one, WOW!

Any way, had a chance to give it a little TLC today. Bore cleaned up really nice, just a hint of frost and it really looked good under the wood.