1939 Mosin Nagant @ 100 yards

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Kern shooter

1939 Mosin Nagant @ 100 yards

Post by Kern shooter »

I'm a new member here and have only one 91/30 so far. It's a 1939 Tula, far as I know and yesterday I shot it for the third time. I got on target at 100 yards but the group (13 shots) was about a foot in diameter. Am I expecting too much from this old rifle and its worn barrel? I've read that even M/N with worn barrels sometimes shoot well so I'm hoping that things will improve. Might metal shims help?
Next time, I'll get off the bench and shoot prone to see if that helps. BTW: I passed on a 1943 rifle and got the 1939 with the idea that it had more history.
Any comments are welcomed
jonnyboy091373

Re: 1939 Mosin Nagant @ 100 yards

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

Shooting position and technique will have a lot to do with it. Also the tightness of the action screws. These old rifles also have heavy triggers, so proper trigger control could be an issue. But, the results you got really weren't that bad. :) so long as you had fun, and enjoy the rifle, it shouldn't matter how accurate it is.
P.s. go back and get that 43. It has a lot of history too, and will make a great addition to your collection.
vegaome

Post by vegaome »

That does not seem to bad to me. How are your groupings with a modern open site rifle at the same distance? Practice as often as you can and enjoy.

v/r

Mike
Captthundarr

Post by Captthundarr »

Here are the first 13 of 16 rounds fired from my 1942 91/30 at 100 yrds with elbows on the bench, no rest. I was tickled. wife was spotting.

[img][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f163/captthundarr/e5e6f8e1-ee30-4707-af41-d69170e7b6fa.jpg[/img][/img]
1942 Izhevsk
Live, Laugh, Love
Captthundarr

Post by Captthundarr »

Soory for the link. haven't figured out how t6o up laod yet.
1942 Izhevsk
Live, Laugh, Love
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Cap is right. Nice shooting for the first time out. The trick is the trigger on these. The more you practice the better it will get. Check her over and make sure everything is right and then do some trigger practice while at the range and you will close that to 6 inches at least. No every rifle is different so another rifle may shoot 2 inches right out of the box. Sometimes the tricky rifles are the funnest. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Kern shooter

Post by Kern shooter »

Thans for all the advice and comments! Nice thing about the M/N is that the front sight is far enough away so I can see it. I was using a bench rest set up, but I had had problems with the range benches, I can't get a good position or cheek weld with my M-1's, etc. I'll have to shoot prone if I can get into my too small now old shooting jacket.
Bad news: the rifle rest took off some of the shallak <sp?> from the stock. Can that be repaired with current products? (...and why can't we just sent them back to Tula for repair!!!!!!

Thanks again, T E
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Don't worry about some of the shellac coming off. It will come off from use just like it did when they were issued to the soldiers. Trying to repair it is an excersize in futility mostly. Just fix the problem that is taking it off and it will be fine. If you use them a lot you will see the shellac come off on other spots as well.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There is no way for me to answer this question, I have not seen you shoot, I have not examined the weapon, the ammo, or the range. It takes time to get used to shooting these kinds of rifles, and not every rifle will group 2" on the target or even 4" at 100 yards. Not every shooter will have the eyesight and skillset to achive tight groups even with a proven rifle. The object is to have fun, nobody is keeping score, so what if you shoot a 13" group at 100 yards so long as you have fun.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Kern shooter

Post by Kern shooter »

Junk Yard Dog, re: Sat reply:
I'm using Silver Bear heavy bullets and I'm getting used to the trigger to the point where it going off is a surprise at times.
More practice need, I guess and will switch to prone. Eye surgery corrected eyes to 20/40ish.
BTW: my Savage 110 & I can put bullet holes 1/2 " at 100 yards.
I'm enjoying the rifle and just thinking where it might have been and done add to the joy!
rustytruck

Post by rustytruck »

A 12" group on center mass at 100 yrds/m would be quite lethal in combat I think. Enjoy the rifle!