1st 100yrd Shoot

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
KJProX

1st 100yrd Shoot

Post by KJProX »

Hey guys been awhile since I last posted last winter after getting my first Mosin and shooting it. Since then I have joined a local gun club and this last Saturday I had to work the rifle site in day as part of being a member. Any way we have a 100yd range and guys had nice spotter scopes setup, so when it was slow I got out my Mosin to try it out at the 100 for the first time. With open sites I was surprised that I even put it on paper and I had a about a 8 inch grouping. I'm sure it's all me and not the gun for being tighter. My old eyes with glasses were having trouble even seeing what I was aiming at that distance.

Anyway had a fun time and will maybe try the 200yrd range sometime. :D
desdem12

Re: 1st 100yrd Shoot

Post by desdem12 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Practice will close that up some
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Practice, practice, practice.......you'll get tighter groups and don't let the distance deter you....these are fairly accurate rifles in Russian form and VERY accurate if your "driving a finn" :biggrin: .
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Everything the Guys say above! Plus the fact that remember this is a battle rifle designed to shoot at the mass of a man much bigger than a target we use today. Bill
soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

Any rifle will be accurate with control and a smooth trigger pull.
Any rifle will be inaccurate if you rush the shot or jerk the trigger.

But, I have noticed on my M44, as the barrel heats up, the shots slowly climb up and left.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

At 100 yards, just imagine what the slightest twitch will do to a group. 1/32" movement at the muzzle becomes huge at 100 yards. I think you shot very well. Now for lots of fun and practice. Good to see you back.
KJProX

Post by KJProX »

Thanks guys! Yes more practice would really help a lot and I might be rushing the trigger pull. My nephew shot the gun a few weeks ago and said that it had lots of creep and was a little gritty, funny I've always thought the trigger was great and noticed none of this. Of course he's used to modern expensive guns, when I'm on target I just pull the trigger. :D

With winter cold and snows coming my range days will be few if any.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

learn to let the rifle fire and have it be a surprise. Gently sqeeeeeeze the trigger.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain