GunBroker crap

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
lalunette

Re: GunBroker crap

Post by lalunette »

Ok, thx for the clarification. As I understand it here in Canada there is no extra fee when buying out of province.

Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Cheers !!
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Judi and her Mosins wrote::soapbox:
:big shock: :big shock: :Drool1: :thumbsup: Wow, what a web site Dolk, I never knew this, who else has secerts from me. I saved that site :D . Are any them for sale, I really can leave there happy :brolleyes: :brolleyes: . Every day I see another eye opening gems. I am amazed. Great collection Dolk, Very nice :thumbsup: Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;

PS, Dolk, if your not married, half that collection can be mine :bwink: Judi ;mywink;
:pointup: THIS, I had no idea !!! PS is that a picture of the DOLK on the bottom?? Not at all what I expected. But nice to put a face to the name :thumbsup:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I think that is his son and not him. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

TopperT wrote:$ 50.00 here! :big shock:

Play the dang dealers against each other! Use the listings from Gunbroker of available FFL's in your area and find one who is cheaper and tell your current FFL about another dealer being cheaper without releasing the name and then ask why can't you do that for me being I shop here often? I have not paid for transfer in so many years I forget the last time I did. Remember to do this you have to represent a bit of business for them. Bill :o
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Judi and her Mosins wrote::soapbox:
:big shock: :big shock: :Drool1: :thumbsup: Wow, what a web site Dolk, I never knew this, who else has secerts from me. I saved that site :D . Are any them for sale, I really can leave there happy :brolleyes: :brolleyes: . Every day I see another eye opening gems. I am amazed. Great collection Dolk, Very nice :thumbsup: Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;

PS, Dolk, if your not married, half that collection can be mine :bwink: Judi ;mywink;
:chuckles:

That is a "part" of my collections. I have about 12 original revolutionary war flints (not reproductions...real McCoy's) also. That is where I started "collecting" years ago. I gave up taking photos of "all" of my "new" buys a while back. I only do a few now and then. I don't keep it "up to date" as much anymore, now that I have the forums to contend with.

Gsragtop wrote: PS is that a picture of the DOLK on the bottom?? Not at all what I expected. But nice to put a face to the name :thumbsup:
Nope.....That's not me! :chuckles: But he is very expensive to feed (that's for sure!). That's my son about 4 years ago. He has lost a lot of weight now, maybe 50 pounds or so......Me, I'm 60 years old, I wish that was me! :bwink:
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

OK, here is one I just had a run in with. He wants C&R's to get his permission before purchasing. I sent him a note asking about his requirements and got this (BTW his ID is egrant) :

Thank you for asking. Below are my terms for shipping to a C&R..

Terms for a Curio & Relic license.
1. Documentation that the gun is 50 years old or older, If it on the ATF list it will be approved.
2. A feedback record that is 99% positive or better. I look for at least 8-10 feedbacks.
3. An additional $6.00 fee will be charged and the item will be shipped so that the C&R holder will sign for delivery, personally.
4. The C&R holder must ask before placing a bid.
If you meet these terms you may bid on the item.

My response - ok, the guy pissed me off:

Well, I have seen this rifle before. It appears you had a bad experience with the guy who bid and won at $225. Either he didn't pay (which I doubt) or he didn't understand your requirements, i.e., was a C&R and didn't beg for your approval, and you refused to sell to him. Too bad, because there is no way this rifle is worth that much anyway. The other bid of $160 didn't meet the reserve and that's about how much the rifle is really worth.

Number 1, below, is YOUR responsibility to know and act on. You MAY sell it to a to a licensed C&R holder if the rifle it is on the list. And guess what? I already know it is on the C&R list or I wouldn't be interested in it and potentially bid on it. This isn't up to the buyer. This is the dumbest requirement I have ever seen. I don't understand the rationale behind #3 and #4. I have sold and shipped many rifles and the signature fee is included in the $30 you charge. You make it sound like you are singling out C&R's specifically for this fee. That's another stupid move on your part. Why in the world would you do this? I have to ask permission of you to bid? That is the ultimate in arrogance. My GunBroker feedback speaks for itself. I am no longer interested in any rifles you may be selling now or in the future.

It is funny. I belong to a Mosin Nagant Forum and we were just talking about sellers like you the other day. Some people refuse to sell to C&R's because they, flat, don't know the law but they think they do. I will post your requirements on my forum as another example and a seller to stay away from - these guys, by the way, buy a lot of Mosins from Gun Broker.

By the sounds of your ridiculous C&R requirements, it appears that you had one or two bad experiences in the past and, now, are blaming all C&R's for your misfortune. If my tone appears a bit angry, you would have it right. Your requirements are an insult to all federally licensed and vetted C&R holders.

By the way, I don't see any requirements like this for 01FFL's. What makes them any different? They must be "god-like" since you are one, as well.

What a joke.

I got a response back that I am on his blocked bidders list now. :cry1: :cry1: :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I had some cards once for handing out to people like that who pissed me off

" you are cordially invited to go F$#@ yourself"

Used to get them from a place called Spencer gifts back in the 80's

They are gone so I may have to have some custom printed.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

JYD in Spencer's. There's a visual image I would never have imagined in a million years. :lol:

Good store though. I got a 'support my exwife' magnetic ribbon for my car there.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Sounds like a cross between ignorance and paranoia. Oh well his loss. Oh and Jim, when I lived in Maryland growing up a Spenser Gifts opened at the mall across the street in the mid 70's when I was just a teenager. That place had stuff we couldn't imagine a store selling. Very risque at the time. We thought that place was cool as hell, lol. :)
akguy1985

Post by akguy1985 »

Emdawg wrote:Sad when an FFL, who is supposed to know the laws so he can sell with his license, doesn't know the laws.
aint that the truth. Thankfully I havent ran into any problems on GB from sellers not recognizing C&R.
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

qz2026 wrote:OK, here is one I just had a run in with. He wants C&R's to get his permission before purchasing. I sent him a note asking about his requirements and got this (BTW his ID is egrant) :

Thank you for asking. Below are my terms for shipping to a C&R..

Terms for a Curio & Relic license.
1. Documentation that the gun is 50 years old or older, If it on the ATF list it will be approved.
2. A feedback record that is 99% positive or better. I look for at least 8-10 feedbacks.
3. An additional $6.00 fee will be charged and the item will be shipped so that the C&R holder will sign for delivery, personally.
4. The C&R holder must ask before placing a bid.
If you meet these terms you may bid on the item.

My response - ok, the guy pissed me off:

Well, I have seen this rifle before. It appears you had a bad experience with the guy who bid and won at $225. Either he didn't pay (which I doubt) or he didn't understand your requirements, i.e., was a C&R and didn't beg for your approval, and you refused to sell to him. Too bad, because there is no way this rifle is worth that much anyway. The other bid of $160 didn't meet the reserve and that's about how much the rifle is really worth.

Number 1, below, is YOUR responsibility to know and act on. You MAY sell it to a to a licensed C&R holder if the rifle it is on the list. And guess what? I already know it is on the C&R list or I wouldn't be interested in it and potentially bid on it. This isn't up to the buyer. This is the dumbest requirement I have ever seen. I don't understand the rationale behind #3 and #4. I have sold and shipped many rifles and the signature fee is included in the $30 you charge. You make it sound like you are singling out C&R's specifically for this fee. That's another stupid move on your part. Why in the world would you do this? I have to ask permission of you to bid? That is the ultimate in arrogance. My GunBroker feedback speaks for itself. I am no longer interested in any rifles you may be selling now or in the future.

It is funny. I belong to a Mosin Nagant Forum and we were just talking about sellers like you the other day. Some people refuse to sell to C&R's because they, flat, don't know the law but they think they do. I will post your requirements on my forum as another example and a seller to stay away from - these guys, by the way, buy a lot of Mosins from Gun Broker.

By the sounds of your ridiculous C&R requirements, it appears that you had one or two bad experiences in the past and, now, are blaming all C&R's for your misfortune. If my tone appears a bit angry, you would have it right. Your requirements are an insult to all federally licensed and vetted C&R holders.

By the way, I don't see any requirements like this for 01FFL's. What makes them any different? They must be "god-like" since you are one, as well.

What a joke.

I got a response back that I am on his blocked bidders list now. :cry1: :cry1: :D

:soapbox:
You and I must have been looking at the same one. Only the reply to me was a block from bidding also. To bad for him, my money and C&R are good every place else. I tryed to explain a C&R FFL also and even asked them to call and check. Oh well. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

What did one of the guys say? You can't fix stupid?

Hey, on the transfer thing. You know when you purchase a firearm from a dealer, in a way, you are paying a transfer fee. It is just built into the retail value of the gun and not broken out where you can see it. In that way, sometimes, dealers will give a break to a C&R holder since they don't have to do all the paperwork and phone calling. Those dealers, however, are far and few between. If you purchase a rifle (C&R or non C&R) online and wish it transferred at that retail store, they will charge you a fortune-here about $50 which for them is 100% profit rather than the true cost being built into the sale of one of their inventoried firearms. Like Zeebill said, find the 01FFL in your area that charges the cheapest. That's what I did before the C&R. I found a guy not far from here who charged $25 who didn't have a store front.
soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

qz2026 wrote:What did one of the guys say? You can't fix stupid?

Hey, on the transfer thing. You know when you purchase a firearm from a dealer, in a way, you are paying a transfer fee. It is just built into the retail value of the gun and not broken out where you can see it. In that way, sometimes, dealers will give a break to a C&R holder since they don't have to do all the paperwork and phone calling. Those dealers, however, are far and few between. If you purchase a rifle (C&R or non C&R) online and wish it transferred at that retail store, they will charge you a fortune-here about $50 which for them is 100% profit rather than the true cost being built into the sale of one of their inventoried firearms. Like Zeebill said, find the 01FFL in your area that charges the cheapest. That's what I did before the C&R. I found a guy not far from here who charged $25 who didn't have a store front.
I tried using a guy down the street once to save some money - $35 vs $50 at the LGS and right down the street so I wouldn't have to go far. Let's just say in hindsight it would have been worth the extra $15 to use the LGS.
Let me first say that this was a CMP Garand, and if it wasn't for the SAFE act, it would have been shipped to my house with no transfer required.
#1 When my rifle arrived, he was out on a hunting trip for the weekend
#2 When he got back, it was a hassle to schedule a good time to go to his house to do the transfer - he basically likes to only do the FFL gig one night a week so he tries to find one night that everyone can show up.
#3 I understand that he needs to open the case to get the S/N for his books - but I did not like that he pawed through all the stuff inside (especially my COA which was in a sealed envelope.
RC932

Post by RC932 »

Wow. I may not have a C&R but I'd throw these guys in with the people on Gunbroker that misspell even the most obvious of words, and of course let's not forget the ones that are all
"will ship ammo 2 u 4 16"

I have seen a couple of those...makes me very reluctant to buy things from that seller. I may not have a C&R but even without it, there are so many overpriced pieces on Gunbroker I would rather wait to see locally and probably save about 250 bucks than deal with the trouble involved.
1917 Remington 1891 Infantry [Finnish Service]
1936 Tula 1891/30
1943 Izhevsk 1891/30
1944/50 MO 1891/30 (possible Izhevsk, scrubbed tang)
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

soylentblue wrote:

I tried using a guy down the street once to save some money - $35 vs $50 at the LGS and right down the street so I wouldn't have to go far. Let's just say in hindsight it would have been worth the extra $15 to use the LGS.
Let me first say that this was a CMP Garand, and if it wasn't for the SAFE act, it would have been shipped to my house with no transfer required.
#2 When he got back, it was a hassle to schedule a good time to go to his house to do the transfer - he basically likes to only do the FFL gig one night a week so he tries to find one night that everyone can show up.
#3 I understand that he needs to open the case to get the S/N for his books - but I did not like that he pawed through all the stuff inside (especially my COA which was in a sealed envelope.
Yeah, I hear you. I remember my DI in boot camp saying 10% of any population are shitbirds including our platoon :beek: He treated us all as potential shitbirds and weeded out the real ones quickly. Sounds like you need to do some weeding. If he is the only one under $50 you have a choice - pay the $50 or get a C&R and pay a one time $30 fee. Depends on how many C&R weapons you want or are going to purchase.
soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

qz2026 wrote:
soylentblue wrote:

Yeah, I hear you. I remember my DI in boot camp saying 10% of any population are shitbirds including our platoon :beek: He treated us all as potential shitbirds and weeded out the real ones quickly. Sounds like you need to do some weeding. If he is the only one under $50 you have a choice - pay the $50 or get a C&R and pay a one time $30 fee. Depends on how many C&R weapons you want or are going to purchase.
C&R is no good for CMP rifles - don't forget that every other state besides NY,CT, & NJ can have the rifle shipped right to your door with no FFL of any kind required! The CMP was established as exempt from FFL laws by an act of Congress (back in the day when government was for the people I guess) But the SAFE Act screwed that up for New Yorkers - Basically when the CMP got in touch with the law makers of NY, NY could not explain how the laws applied, so the CMP decided to err on the side of extreme caution by requiring 01 FFL
soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

From the COO of the CMP:
guys, we have still not been able to get through to the applicable office in NY for clarification on the C&R. Until we do, we will play it safe and ship only to "dealers". FFL 01.

If you purchase ion the store and take it with you, then there is no shipping to NY involved. Yes - you can purchase in the store.

In case you missed how crazy this makes me: In every State in The Union you can have these surplus US Government rifles shipped directly to your door with no C&R or FFL dealer or transfer required...
Except for three - NY, CT and NJ.

It is not hard to order from the CMP, but there is much more than what a dealer would require:
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/eligibility.htm
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

That's interesting. I didn't know that about CMP weapons. I have been on the site a few times to look but never was super interested in the M1's. Guess because I was brought up on an M-14. I don't know what to say about the NE or the Left Coast for that matter - except I am glad I don't live there.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

This is something I've never seen before. "In every State in The Union you can have these surplus US Government rifles shipped directly to your door with no C&R or FFL dealer or transfer required...
Except for three - NY, CT and NJ."

I looked at the requirements and in one part they state that they're doing an NICS check during the pruchase process. "The information you supply on your application will be submitted by the CMP to the FBI National Instant Criminal Check System (NICS) to verify you are not prohibited by Federal, State or Local law from acquiring or possessing a rifle. Your signature on the Purchaser Certification portion of the purchase application authorizes the CMP to initiate the NICS check and authorizes the FBI to inform CMP of the result. IMPORTANT: If your State or locality requires you to first obtain a license, permit, or Firearms Owner ID card in order to possess or receive a rifle, you must enclose a photocopy of your license, permit, or card with the application for purchase."

I've never seen this anyway else on any vendor's site. How can they do this legally and why don't other places do it if it's legal. I thought the whole purpose of the NICS check was to verify the person picking up the rifle is the rightful/legally eligible person by checking their photo ID against who they're physically handing the rifle too.

Edit: Maybe this is why. "Order Form and Purchaser Certification and Agreement:Order forms and other required documents may be downloaded from http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/pdfs/1orderformfillable.pdf. For those customers who receive our hard-copy catalog, we recommend they make several copies of the blank form for use in placing future orders. Customers should complete both the Order Form and the Purchaser Certification and Agreement and sign it before a notary. Orders received without notarized signature will not be processed."
soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

They operate under special rules because of how the CMP was created:
The Office of the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) was created by the U.S. Congress as part of the 1903 War Department Appropriations Act. The original purpose was to provide civilians an opportunity to learn and practice marksmanship skills so they would be skilled marksmen if later called on to serve in the U.S. military.