Started the cleaning

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
pasvorto

Started the cleaning

Post by pasvorto »

My wife and her sister went somewhere for the day. I started thinking that it might be a good time to have a look at the Mosin and start the cleaning process. I set a pan of water to boiling on the stove. While it was cooking I got the box with the Mosin. I tossed the tool kit the oil tank and the bolt in the boiling water. I got them all cleaned and even, after a few tries, got the bolt back together. I wiped off the ammo packs. The sling looks ok, not very greasy. I started looking at serial #s. The numbers match on the bolt, the receiver. the butt plate, and the magazine. The bayonet has a different number. I got it at Fleet Farm. They probably just grabbed the first bayonet they could find. I imagine someone out there has my bayonet.

The rest of the rifle is really, really packed in cosmoline. I decided that it can wait for later. I was lucky that I got the mess cleaned up in the kitchen. Of course, that's "guy clean". My wife might have a fit when she gets home. I can hear her now. "What's that smell?"

I had a good look at the stock. It looks pretty good. I did not see any patching or any splits, etc.

Maybe I can talk her into leaving town for the weekend. ;-)
Rsmith7

Re: Started the cleaning

Post by Rsmith7 »

I will be undertaking this task myself.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ModelAUZI

Post by ModelAUZI »

Mosin soup nothing like it.!!!!
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
- Ted Nugent
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You only have to duck when she finds out you have been using the dishwasher to clean off the metal parts.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Cosmoline guy

Post by Cosmoline guy »

The Century Arms Mosins at Fleet Farm don't come with matching bayonets. They are packed with whatever one is handy
long before they get to the store. This is done at Century Arms.
I hope that you survive your wife coming home so that we can get some pictures of your new acquisition.
Preferably not in your obituary. :chuckles: :twisted:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yeah if you catch any grief I am going to suggest taking it to the garage. I would hate for her to bayonet you in the middle of the kitchen!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What's wrong with cleaning guns in the kitchen? I do it all the time, in fact there is a disassembled shotgun on the kitchen table right now, it's been there for three weeks, I work slow and careful :lol:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:What's wrong with cleaning guns in the kitchen? I do it all the time, in fact there is a disassembled shotgun on the kitchen table right now, it's been there for three weeks, I work slow and careful :lol:
When I read posts like this I know why I am not married and enjoy the hell out of my rifles. Nothing for the most part other than leather parts and slings gets cleaned in the house so the smell is on me or my clothes if a girl friend spots it. My answer is usually why does my bathroom smell like Lilly of the Valley? If I get heat on not having any money because I bought a gun and we can't go out the answer is why are you broke too? Where are all you men living in a women's protection agency asylum? For God's sake and yours get some rights for your self! This place is like Land of the Wimps at times! You have a rifle now try and get some Macho about yourself if she will not deny you that too! :lol: :lol: :lol: Bill :big shock:
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Tell the wife not to worry my house smells like cosomline too. Now get some pictures, next time start taking a picture right out the box. I went out and bought pots for just the Mosin's. Find a garage sale and buy the biggest ones. I also have a metal can for any rags with cosmo or bore cleaner. Welcome the the best site for Mosin information. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

My place smells like the hamburger I burnt up last night, or maybe it's the chili I burnt last week, or possibly still the incident with the broiled spam.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
pasvorto

Post by pasvorto »

When my wife first met me we had to stop by my apartment to pick up something. She also wanted to see it. She never did that again. My roommate & I were rebuilding his 427 (from his Mustang) in the kitchen. The short block was in the corner, the sink was full of pistons... You get the picture. I guess some things never change. ;-)
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

pasvorto wrote:When my wife first met me we had to stop by my apartment to pick up something. She also wanted to see it. She never did that again. My roommate & I were rebuilding his 427 (from his Mustang) in the kitchen. The short block was in the corner, the sink was full of pistons... You get the picture. I guess some things never change. ;-)
I had a bunch of buddies over one night when my wife and I first started dating. We decided we were going to swap the cam in my Mustang. At 3 oclock in the morning after having been ignored most of the evening she decided she was going home. She didnt come to those "parties" anymore. :grin:
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Vendetta wrote:
pasvorto wrote:When my wife first met me we had to stop by my apartment to pick up something. She also wanted to see it. She never did that again. My roommate & I were rebuilding his 427 (from his Mustang) in the kitchen. The short block was in the corner, the sink was full of pistons... You get the picture. I guess some things never change. ;-)
I had a bunch of buddies over one night when my wife and I first started dating. We decided we were going to swap the cam in my Mustang. At 3 oclock in the morning after having been ignored most of the evening she decided she was going home. She didnt come to those "parties" anymore. :grin:
Hey Vendetta, didn't you just sell that rifle in the Avatar? Looks awful familiar to a '34 91/59 I got outbid on the other night :D
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

qz2026 wrote:
Vendetta wrote:
Hey Vendetta, didn't you just sell that rifle in the Avatar? Looks awful familiar to a '34 91/59 I got outbid on the other night :D
No sir its an m44 from the wrong side. :)
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

My wife was an interior designer and an antique dealer...so with all of my antiques propped up against her furniture I just say "I just admire the wood and steel of antiques". :twisted: :bwink:

Which I truly do, and hate to hide them away with the different patina’s of the various pieces. :biggrin:

Having always loved the dark look of USGI stocks aka Walnut, I coming to realize the beauty of Beech from Northern Europe. :P :P :P
wingspar

Post by wingspar »

pasvorto wrote:The rest of the rifle is really, really packed in cosmoline. I decided that it can wait for later. I was lucky that I got the mess cleaned up in the kitchen. Of course, that's "guy clean". My wife might have a fit when she gets home. I can hear her now. "What's that smell?"
Why, it’s my new aftershave lotion honey. Do ya like it? :mrgreen:
Gary
WIll Fly for Food... and More Ammo
41_Tula

Post by 41_Tula »

Hahaha, that's awesome! When I cleaned mine, my kitchen, basement and clothes smelt like Cosmo for a while. Smell is gone now, guess that means it's time to search for another 91/30! I'm happily divorced and can get away with it!
akguy1985

Post by akguy1985 »

Ahh the cleaning of cosmo off a mosin. Fun times.