Dumb question about M1 ammo

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Dumb question about M1 ammo

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mike_mays wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:OK, the M1 Garand is designed to shoot one kind of .30-06, that would be .30 M2 Ball ( 147 grain jacketed lead core bullet) The M1 was not designed with a gas system that could be regulated, so some other commercial .30-06 that might be at higher pressure could damage your rifle. There is an aftermarket replacement gas cylinder screw that is adjustable if you want to play with hand loads, or commercial loads. All the CMP's ammo is M2, most all military surplus .30-06 is also M2.
I ordered Sellier & Bellot 30.06 180GR. Will this be ok?
No, this is not US M2 Ball spec ammo, neither is anything else except that marked as M2 ball. In the bolt action 1903 you can use any .30-06, but Uncle Sam designed the Garand to use only ammunition supplied by the US government, so they never felt gas adjustments were needed. What happens is the rifle starts to batter itself to death if the pressures are too high.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Ironnewt wrote:I'm not sure if Chris has a chamber insert or a new barrel on/in his. Next time he's stateside I'll ask.
Probably not the insert. If I remember correctly they were only used in the earlier versions. Mine is one of the Arlington Ordnance rebarrels from the 90s. I believe it's one that came in from Korea.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

mike_mays wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:OK, the M1 Garand is designed to shoot one kind of .30-06, that would be .30 M2 Ball ( 147 grain jacketed lead core bullet) The M1 was not designed with a gas system that could be regulated, so some other commercial .30-06 that might be at higher pressure could damage your rifle. There is an aftermarket replacement gas cylinder screw that is adjustable if you want to play with hand loads, or commercial loads. All the CMP's ammo is M2, most all military surplus .30-06 is also M2.
Thought you were getting this Mike http://estore.thecmp.org/store/catalog/ ... ote5=&max= That was made specifically for Garands.
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

There was some surplus M2 ball for sale here on the forum. I bought some of it, but he had more.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Vati66

Post by Vati66 »

I use one on my Garand, well worth the $40.00 investment. Very easy to setup and can be adjusted for about any round. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/ga ... 20456.aspx

Scott
mike_mays

Post by mike_mays »

WeldonHunter wrote:
mike_mays wrote:
Thought you were getting this Mike http://estore.thecmp.org/store/catalog/ ... ote5=&max= That was made specifically for Garands.
Ordered it a bit ago. Just went to a local gun show and nabbed these

I feel like I will be ok with these until my ammo comes in from the CMP. 1 x of American Eagle and 3 boxes of the surplus.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

That surplus looks like Korean stuff and is probably corrosively primed I believe. Make sure you clean that rifle very thoroughly after shooting it. That means a detail strip including the gas system.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have several thousand rounds of that Korean stuff, is it headstamped PS with a 1970's date? This stuff is great, I shot a shitload of it and it wasn't corrosive, the KA headstamp stuff is corrosive. I was buying this 400 rounds in a .50 ammo can.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mike_mays

Post by mike_mays »

Thats the plan. Thanks for all the help guys!
mike_mays

Post by mike_mays »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I have several thousand rounds of that Korean stuff, is it headstamped PS with a 1970's date? This stuff is great, I shot a shitload of it and it wasn't corrosive, the KA headstamp stuff is corrosive. I was buying this 400 rounds in a .50 ammo can.
PS 75 on all 60 rounds
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The good stuff, exactly what i have, in fact I have three odd boxes right over here in the close......hey! Were did they go!
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The good stuff, exactly what i have, in fact I have three odd boxes right over here in the close......hey! Were did they go!
LMAO!!!! :chuckles: :chuckles:
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

not to go off topic here but I see a lot of mention of .30 carbine ammo... could anyone pm me a decent place to buy some?
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

kamakazi339 wrote:not to go off topic here but I see a lot of mention of .30 carbine ammo... could anyone pm me a decent place to buy some?
In the reloading and Ammo forum at the top is a post to ammo price links. Here you go.

http://gun-deals.com/ammo

D
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

I forgot all about that thread. Thanks =)