Do you see what I did ??

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ffeng31

Do you see what I did ??

Post by ffeng31 »

This one is on its way to me Via the "other" auction site. Some of you may have seen it. Tell me what you see. Seller had it listed as 91/59. This is the only pic I have right now but it tells it all.
carbine.jpg
[/font]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim

Dan4good

Re: Do you see what I did ??

Post by Dan4good »

see what ?
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

Let's see if anyone figures it out before I spill the beans..
Jim

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hex receiver M38 with m44 stock?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Maybe a 91/38 then. Hard for this blind guy to see that. :vconfused: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

I thought that at first, and it may well be true, but look at the area just under the rear sight. It has a hand done recess for a bayonet. Definitely not a 91/59 as they have a long rear sight with the gradients ground off. This rifle has a true carbine sight.
Jim

Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

If that is a hex reciever ( tried to zoom in but pic is to blurry) then you snagged a 91/38. :thumbsup:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

You think it is an original 91/38 stock with the bayo cutout of the original stock and then the bayo lug taken off later like the rest? :thumbsup:
91/38s have the carbine sight. Would be nice to see the end of the barrel for confirmation . :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

desdem12 wrote:Maybe a 91/38 then. Hard for this blind guy to see that. :vconfused: :thumbsup:
:clap: Des is the winner . That's what I bet on. Well see in a week. The front sight being wide and the bayonet recess are what make me lean that way. I hope so at least. If not , a hex receiver M38 in an old style stock is nothing to sneeze at either...
Jim

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

You got that right! Congrats on a nice mystery carbine.
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

You guys must have eagle eyes. I can't see a hex receiver. The pic leaves a lot to be desired. Looks like one of my awful pictures where you can't see much :lol:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I cant either, I couldn't even tell if it was a carbine sight. But I did see the older stock and what looks like a hasty bayo notch. :D
finloq

Post by finloq »

91/38 in a cut down M91 stock. Did the seller give a date or arsenal?
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

The auction has a pic of the other side , which was better, but I dont want to post it as it has their name on it. It is obvious from it that the rifle is a hex. No date or arsenal , I'm keeping my fingers crossed though. I did not have a 91/38 , the price was good , so anything will be fine. Sestroryetsk would be fine though.... :wink: :wink:
Jim

finloq

Post by finloq »

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM9138.htm

I know a guy named Neal that has a 1892 Chatellerault M91/38.

I only have 1 and it's a 1907 Izhevsk. It's my 1907 Carbine, literally.

I have heard of 1-2 in this country that still have their bayonets attached, but I have never seen any pictures.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

finloq wrote:I know a guy named Neal that has a 1892 Chatellerault M91/38.

I only have 1 and it's a 1907 Izhevsk. It's my 1907 Carbine, literally.

:crossedfingers: I'd take a 1907 Izhevsk.... Maybe it'll be an ex-cossack.. waitin for this one is gonna kill me.
Jim

finloq

Post by finloq »

I don't think that I have ever seen one that wasn't of the Imperial era.
You'll do well, they are great carbines that are jamb packed with history.
Start a thread on 91/38's when you get it and we'll see what comes out of the woodwork.
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

Most assuredly will.
Jim

racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I actually had called the seller to confirm what I thought it was. I didn't let on....he did say it was dated 1904, if its the same one of course. Big time congrats! I had other irons in the fire or I may have bid.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Nice find ffeng :thumbsup: either m38 or 91/38 good score. I'm guessing its got these.
IMG_1913.JPG
IMG_1915.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.