I'm nutts

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jimpierce7

I'm nutts

Post by jimpierce7 »

I mean, I'm already trying to figure out the cost of a crate of Mosins. Tax time is around the corner.
WeldonHunter

Re: I'm nutts

Post by WeldonHunter »

jimpierce7 wrote:I mean, I'm already trying to figure out the cost of a crate of Mosins. Tax time is around the corner.
Jim!!! Step away from the calculator!!! Ok, we can talk you down. Just breathe. Think this through man.....wait what am I talking about. Yes Jim we can help....help you buy more Mosins, lol. :chuckles:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I agree! Think about a long time! Bill :o
Last edited by zeebill on Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Nutts?...You calling this a loony Bin?
:vconfused:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

shoto2758 wrote:Nutts?...You calling this a loony Bin?
:vconfused:
Sure enough! We are all gun nuts and suffer specifically from Mosinitus! :o Bill :lol:
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

We are all nuts that's why we are all here. This is Mosin group therapy. But we don't start off with I am nuts. We say my name is Jim and I am a Mosin addict.
And we say welcome Jim now go buy the crate. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
I almost made the mistake also of buying a crate. Then JYD mentioned why buy what you do not want, having to get rid of most of them. Buy a crate then fill it want you want as you run across sales, shows and auctions. Worked much better for me as I found many Mosin's that would have slipped by me. Just buy a crate and fill it one or three at a time. Also get you C&R. Big money and time saver. Just my to cents, and I expect change please. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Judi and her Mosins wrote::soapbox:
I almost made the mistake also of buying a crate. Then JYD mentioned why buy what you do not want, having to get rid of most of them. Buy a crate then fill it want you want as you run across sales, shows and auctions. Worked much better for me as I found many Mosin's that would have slipped by me. Just buy a crate and fill it one or three at a time. Also get you C&R. Big money and time saver. Just my to cents, and I expect change please. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
:pointup: What she said.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Never mind the money, you can always find a way to come up with that, sell the car, take in roommates, auction off a spare body part. Think instead of how you will handle a crate weighing more than 300 pounds the size of a coffin. Were will you put it, how will you keep it safe, how will you get it into it's hiding place. Be aware also that all crates are searched by the importers no matter what bullshit you hear otherwise. They have to in order to import mark the rifles, a Federal requirement, each rifle has been handled. You will likely get 20 identical 1943 Izhevsk 91/30's .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

I just went in on a crate and I can tell you that odds are out of the 20 rifles, only 1 or 2 will be anything worth keeping.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The only crates you will find were you will want to keep everything are ones like mine were the owner selected each rifle individually over years because they are in some way special. These crates are always carefully guarded and taking them would be....well, I am getting too old for all the dragging heavy dead weights up into the hills and digging holes shit so don't even think about it :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Not to mention also is that any money you save on the per-item price will be consumed by the freight charge so you could just buy there or six of what you want. Once you get into this you will find real joy in taking that tax money and securing some once in a lifetime finds that can't be replaced with 20 in a crate.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Easy, sell the wife's car, buy here a bus pass and good walking shoes, then go buy some Mosins :0
Theodore Roosevelt
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

I think buying a crate would be less fun. You don't get to meet each old girl. To make a correlation ill equate it to a bowl of trick or treat candy. You pick through it until you find the few you lie and the rest get shoved to other people.

I just got a line on some crates btw (empty) so im gonna get one =)
awesomeinforensics

Post by awesomeinforensics »

A crate of Mosins, I have no room in my safe. :D
1925r Izhevsk ex Dragoon
1934 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
Winchester Model 1873 circa 1886
NRA Life Member

Gentlemen there are 2 "finks" among us!
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Stopsign32v wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Easy, sell the wife's car, buy here a bus pass and good walking shoes, then go buy some Mosins :0
You know that saying it's cheaper to keepher? :lol: You're going against that logic!

Plus she allows me to spend ALOT of money on these things! I've gotten 7 in the last week alone! :beek:
Holy Crap you definitely have a keeper then! 7 in a week! Oh and yeah buy an empty crate and fill it with keepers don't buy the crate full the shipping will be the death of your wallet
As they say the pen is mightier than the sword...however that also means the pen is far more dangerous than the sword. The sword can take your life or your limb but can not take your freedom, the pen can. A wary patriot watches the pen as it can steal his freedom. The wary patriot knows he can use the pen to take power from those who wish to use the pen for evil, but keeps his rifle close by his side "just in case"!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Never mind the money, you can always find a way to come up with that, sell the car, take in roommates, auction off a spare body part. Think instead of how you will handle a crate weighing more than 300 pounds the size of a coffin. Were will you put it, how will you keep it safe, how will you get it into it's hiding place. Be aware also that all crates are searched by the importers no matter what bullshit you hear otherwise. They have to in order to import mark the rifles, a Federal requirement, each rifle has been handled. You will likely get 20 identical 1943 Izhevsk 91/30's .
Or one or two plants of hex receivers or whatever they put in there to make you think you got something. It just seems like a big senseless ego trip so you can say you bought a crate, so big deal now what do you and what do you do with the ones they put in there that are run of the mill. For years I heated the shop with a potbelly stove and those crates and older broken rifle stocks were what I burned because they were free from my dealer. Then some dang fool told a dealer he would pay for the crates and bang they became another way for dealers to make more money. They are not pretty and as JYD said they get in the way and I for sure don't want a lighted and full one in my living room. They also represent a large sized security problem for you too. Be responsible and go buy a safe and bolt her down to protect your weapons. It makes much more sense to me to be able to individually pick out and buy what you want and control both the growth and the quality of your collection. Thinl long and hard about it! Please! Bill
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

A crate of refurbished Mosins is not an instant "collection". It's a crate of "basically" the same rifles. Not enough diversity.

The collectors here will tell you.....90% of the "fun" of collecting is "the hunt" for the next rifle. It's also how you learn. You will also find after a bit, you will be spreading out to more valuable collectable rifles, like the Finns for example.

Dolk
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

okay then. I'll wait on getting a crate. I think it would be crazy but what the heck.The per gun cost is more than I will be paying for my first. I try to be patient. Lol
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

For heavens sake, GO ON A SPREE, just not a crate spree. There are wonderful rifles all you have to do is find them and buy them. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)