Mosins in Motor Trend 1956

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Chrome Moly Vampire

Mosins in Motor Trend 1956

Post by Chrome Moly Vampire »

I have loads of odd, eclectic crap.

I was flipping through a September 1956 Motor Trend magazine when low and behold! An advertisement for Confiscated Russian Rifles Model "MN" .

I wonder if I sent the money would my rifle get here? Maybe by Marty McFly.

I love that line, "Their sale in no way aids any iron curtain country." Yeah right. And the importer is in California! What a deal!!!! There damn sure wasn't any background checks when there wasn't even zip codes.

Now this photo will come up in Google searches for eons! Could you imagine the once in a lifetime rifles these cats sent out? Had the refurb project even started in Russia in 1956?

Also, check out this swanky pistol. Also in California! Got any .12 caliber ammo, anyone?

"I never miss a chance to provide joy and/or erotic thoughts to the elderly"
~Floran~
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Mosins in Motor Trend 1956

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:twisted: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Confiscated, I wonder from who, another Mosin mystery, note the fair bores.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I would say they were confiscated from the Spanish civil war. I like the ad. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Hi. I will take unlimited ammo at $7.50 per 100. Thanks. :grin:
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Can't you guys read :soapbox: These are special 6 round Moisins for $14.95 confiscated from communist revolutionaries. :!: :!: Wonder what their per thousand rate was. Time machine anyone? :beek:

Humm, could be SCW - no cleaning rods...
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

qz2026 wrote:Can't you guys read :soapbox: These are special 6 round Moisins for $14.95 confiscated from communist revolutionaries. :!: :!: Wonder what their per thousand rate was. Time machine anyone? :beek:

Humm, could be SCW - no cleaning rods...

Yeah I would like to see the guy who wrote the Ad copy try to load 6 rounds into a MN and close the bolt. :lol:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Gun dealers were just as full of shit in 1956 as today, the object was to sell guns and make money. Commie revolutionaries sounds better than just saying they were imported from Spain.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

5 in the mag and one in the chamber?
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The seller in that ad was famous for making Enfield #5 Jungle carbines out of The #4 Mk 1. You may run across these still at gun shows and If you can't find one I know a gun shop that has one for $999.00 and swears it is an original #5..
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

bunkysdad wrote:5 in the mag and one in the chamber?
Agree that is what the writer was thinking but it won't work with the Mosin Nagant, mag only holds 4 and the 5th round is the round above the interupter that is chambered when the bolt is closed.
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Longcolt44 wrote:The seller in that ad was famous for making Enfield #5 Jungle carbines out of The #4 Mk 1. You may run across these still at gun shows and If you can't find one I know a gun shop that has one for $999.00 and swears it is an original #5..
Just so I know when out and about, how can you tell one of these fakes from a real one??
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The quick answer is to learn where the receiver had metal removed to lighten the weight. The most convincing lightening cut it on the barrel where it attaches to the receiver but you can't see that without removing the hardboard. Anyone selling a real one should be happy to remove the hardboard to show you. It only takes a flat blade screwdriver. And the bolt handle knob should be hollow.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

That thought occurred to me but what a pain in the ass, even if it could be done. Have to chamber a round, turn upside down, open magazine and drop another round in and then hope while closing the magazine gate. Haven't tried that. Have some dummy ammo - will experiment. A lot to go through for six rounds. Why would you even want six rounds? What if I needed that sixth round and didn't have time to chamber it? What if I needed a seventh round? What if I needed.... Drill Sgt Ivan would say "use bayonet dumb shitzkie"!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

How about some more pics of the cars?
Theodore Roosevelt
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

qz2026 wrote:
That thought occurred to me but what a pain in the ass, even if it could be done. Have to chamber a round, turn upside down, open magazine and drop another round in and then hope while closing the magazine gate. Haven't tried that. Have some dummy ammo - will experiment. A lot to go through for six rounds. Why would you even want six rounds? What if I needed that sixth round and didn't have time to chamber it? What if I needed a seventh round? What if I needed.... Drill Sgt Ivan would say "use bayonet dumb shitzkie"!
Again, the mag only holds 4 rounds, the 5th round sits over the interupter and is chambered on bolt closer. The bolt now occupies the space the 5th round was in.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

With one in the chamber and bolt closed, I can fit five more in the magazine but magazine door is a little less than 1/64" from closing because of the way the rounds are angled. Close but no cigar. :D
Conman37

Post by Conman37 »

These used the caps from cap pistols as the powder charge. And, if memory serves me correctly, the shot was a number 6 shot from shotgun shells. A real rip off!!Image
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That pistol would go well with a nice pair of the X Ray glasses that could see through clothing and walls :)
Theodore Roosevelt