Got my first M39...A straight stock '41

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Gsragtop

Re: Got my first M39...A straight stock '41

Post by Gsragtop »

Very cool !!! The writing under the Saco symbol on the reviver means something, I don't now what but I'm sure some one does :Drool1:
jm190

Post by jm190 »

:pointup: :pointup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: That's the early marking for Finnish Army before they switched to SA in a box. That actually makes the rifle a fairly uncommon piece according to http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRarity.htm

Wicked nice!!!
John
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I don't do this very often.... But :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I know what you mean, but....... Every other Mosin you'll collect already has a straight stock, so if you want a Mosin that is just absolutely sweet at the range then you still need another m39. Now if you aren't a shooter, then disregard. congrats on a super sweet Sako!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

EXCELLANT Puo and straight. Very nice :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Sweet looking PL marked Sako :thumbsup: I like the dark wood. Congrats
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Nice score on a good looking m39. That stock is way above average for an early one. :thumbsup:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

Very nice! '41 PL marked straight stock WITH matching mag plate is a very tough find. About the only thing I see that could upgrade your rifle would be for it to have the M28/30 rear sight base-but those were only on the very early examples. Congrats on a great addition!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Holy Crap Batman! What a great start on M39's! Very nice and don't discount a been there and done that look Finnish rifle!!!!! I have a Dragoon with a tractor belt sling and no hand guard that will shoot with the best of them and is 1928 and original receiver and barrel too. Never judge a Finn by the cover! Bill Congrats! :D
bcposton

Post by bcposton »

Love the patina on that one! Did the PL markings appear intermittently on the 1941 Sakos? I have seen both low serial number and higher (like this one) serial numbers that have the marking.

Post by 11235813 »

Beautiful. I know people like immaculate bluing, but I like the "in the white" look on some rifles, especially those in darker stocks. I've seen some more "in the white" than this, but this is nice.
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

Is this the Pat Burns rifle that she had up about two weeks ago? If so, I was this close to ordering it, but I ended up buying the 1968 No Maker instead. It is a beautiful rifle, you did well.
husker51

Post by husker51 »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: I would have bought that one in heart beat. Great find! My first M39 is a 41' sako pou but not in straight stock. About #20643X. Sweet M39! Congratulations! :D
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
docbob

Post by docbob »

Oh Yeah! Nice rifle and not a "run of the mill" M39......'course any M39 is nice.
Congratulations,

DocBob
ZKend

Post by ZKend »

Gorgeous
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

bcposton wrote:Did the PL markings appear intermittently on the 1941 Sakos? I have seen both low serial number and higher (like this one) serial numbers that have the marking.
The PL mark was put on the first rifles out of the crates from Sako and not in serial numbered order. In other words, PL's are "mixed in" and through out the serial range for 1941.

Apparently they got the serial numbered rifles from Sako (already with the numbers on them and not in stocks) at the depots. They opened them (not in strict serial number order) and finished the rifles and marked them with the PL. Then at some point they decided that was too difficult and changed to the [SA] mark. Most of the PL marked rifles got the [SA] mark later on also.

Dolk
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Well..................if your going to wait on getting an M39 I'd say your 'wait' paid off in 'zillions' :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: . They don't come much better than the Pu marked straight stock. I agree you now NEED a second one :brolleyes: ......and a third :brolleyes: :brolleyes: , and down the line, a fourth :shifty: :brolleyes: :shifty: ..... :chuckles:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Definitely less common. Like the straight stock, the PL Mark was a early thing.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Stopsign32v wrote:
bunkysdad wrote:Definitely less common. Like the straight stock, the PL Mark was a early thing.
Well mine is a 208000 number so definitely not an early M39 but I'm wondering why mine never got a [SA]? Wonder if it was ever issued to the field. Lack of blueing definitely makes it looks "used".
They only got the [SA] mark on the PL's if they made it back into the arsenals during the wars. There are many PL marked M39's without a [SA] mark.

Dolk