Mixed Markings

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
vegaome

Mixed Markings

Post by vegaome »

Howdy Folks,

I'm green and sorry if this has been asked before. I looked at some Mosin Nagants M91/30 today and found 4 that the numbers matched on the barrel, butt plate, magazine and bolt. On one bolt however I saw both star and triangle marks in different places. I was thinking they must of pieced together the bolt from parts made at two different places. Does having a bolt like this detract from the value much? Thanks and have a good day.

v/r

Mike
BuckeyeSgt

Re: Mixed Markings

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Most likely they are all force matched numbers done during refurb. Any parts needed to get them up to snuff would have been pulled from a box without regard to the arsenal. Doesn't affect the value of a refurb. Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Izhevsk and Tula parts are often found mixed together in the Soviet Mosin refurbs. This is normal, expected, and will not detract from the value. You might even find earlier arsenal markings in there as well, even US made parts from Westinghouse and Remington.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
vegaome

Post by vegaome »

Thank you both for the reply.

v/r

Mike
bcposton

Post by bcposton »

It can get kinda cool when you have bolt parts (or any other part) that you can tell difference in age. You can find parts with the old Tula hammer logo or the old Izhevsk bow and arrow logo.