New Yugo M48A

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Capybara

New Yugo M48A

Post by Capybara »

Just picked this up from a local shooter. Have not had a chance to tear it down yet, it has a decent amount of cosmo seeping out. Is there a way to date this rifle, I think the M48As were made for a pretty good span of years. Looking at the bore, I agree with the seller, I don't think this rifle has ever been fired or if it has been, it was very few rounds. It will look a lot prettier once it is cleaned up. Not pictured is an original leather sling, which I really dig but it sticks out too much to let the rifle fit into my overcrowded safe.

Can't wait to take this one out to shoot!

Capybara

Re: New Yugo M48A

Post by Capybara »

Capybara

Post by Capybara »

etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Nice rifle, for a moment I almost thought you had my pics :chuckles: Interesting that some of these rifles were made and held forever in reserve and released in the condition of the one you have posted, good find :thumbsup:

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... 48A#p70262

(Some of your pics are at the same angles as mine though I could never get a good bore shot)
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Wow very nice. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: I like these but don't have one yet. There is no real way to date them but you can narrow it down to a certain era. I wrote a bunch on them a long while back in this forum not sure if I can find it. I see it has the stamped magazine plate. If it has the stamped trigger guard and the stamped barrel band it would put it right at the end of the A rifles and possible technically a M48B. If it doesn't have those then it is closer to the M48 end. I will see if I can find the link but I am cookin dinner so may be a bit. Cheesey Chicken with some nice baby red potatos. :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

Thanks desdem12. I am curious. The M48As were produced from something like '52 to '65?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Rifles made for the war that never happened....yet. Nice :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

First link is to serb and Yugo mauser forum. Has a guy from there that worked in one of the factories and knows everything. Branko bogdonavich I think
He posts a lot there.
http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsfo ... mXPo_fn_mI
second is a thread explaining the m48s a little and how to semi date them. :thumbsup:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1839&p=21680&hilit=yugo+m48#p21680
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Don't remember right off but it is in the thread on the second link for all of them I believe. :D
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

super nice live the stock and the bluing in mint i agree maybe never shot
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Capybara, I've read on these Yugo's the things to look for to see if one is a rearsenal are bluing on the muzzle, rear sight, bolt for example, they should be unblued pretty obvious yours is a new rifle, I believe the stock on yours is beech, I've read the light wood 48's were beech.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

Thanks for the links and education guys, very helpful. I will research it.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Very nice :thumbsup: Imported by Numrich, back when they imported and sold firearms, haven't seen one of their import stamps in quite awhile. :lol:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

Is that what that import mark is? I couldn't quite figure out what that said? All I could make out was "Hurley, NY 8mm" Thanks for the education.
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

Very nice, the bore looks great. That trigger guard is stamped, that's why it has that ridge. A stamped trigger guard makes it a M48B.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Not many, but some M48 rifles did see some use and action, mainly in the Yugoslav Wars. This is one I ran across and had to pick up, compared to my other Yugoslavian Mausers, this ones been beat on quite a bit. I found it at a show, still in packed in the wonderful grease, it was sold for a much lower price due to the overall condition. It looks kinda rough on the outside and has a mismatched bolt, but the bore is pristine on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

Nice. I like worn rifles as much as new ones, they all have a story to tell.
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

I want one of these. Or maybe the SKS... I can't make up my mind. I know, you don't have to say it... GET BOTH!
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

Without a doubt, get both. SKS are really fun to shoot, kind of PITA to break down to clean, although not too bad. M48 is such a bargain.