My First M39 Finn

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Capybara

My First M39 Finn

Post by Capybara »

It finally arrived and so far, I am very happy with it. The build, trigger feel, sights and even the feel of the bolt is very different than any of my Russians. It looks nice and I hope it will be a good shooter.

I like that it is a 1968 "Sneak" M39, interesting history there. Can anyone identify how old the receiver is on this rifle?

Last edited by Capybara on Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capybara

Re: My First M39 Finn

Post by Capybara »

Capybara

Post by Capybara »

cjo1971

Post by cjo1971 »

Look at the bottom of tang on the receiver
cjo1971

Post by cjo1971 »

Btw nice rifle
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

The "No Maker" M39 rates "about" a 7 out of 10 on the collection scale. :thumbsup:

Once you shoot your rifle I am sure it won't be your last M39. OK: No Makers were produced in the late 60's into early 70's from either AV 3 or SAKO depending on who you listen to. I wager they were done at AV 3 with SAKO parts :chuckles: About 8,500 in total were ever made. The really rare duck is the NO DATE No MAKER. Find one of them and you really hit pay dirt :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: .

:2cents: A fantastic rifle. Enjoy, :thumbsup: you have a beauty :thumbsup: .
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

Thanks Topper and CJO. Yes, I can already see a wartime Sako in my future but I am fascinated by the history of the sneaks. I almost bought a '42 Puolustuslaitos instead of this one but it hardly had any bluing, was quite a bit rougher than this one and I figured for a shooter, a rifle assembled in 1968 might be newer and tighter than a 1940s very collectible but much more beat up rifle. I like to collect but I am more of a shooter who likes to collect a few interesting rifles than a completest or fanatic who has 20-30 of the same model.
husker51

Post by husker51 »

Very nice! Gotta love those Finns. Love my M39s! That is a very sweet rifle! I could just collect Finns and be Very happy. Congratulations on a superb M39! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Excellent 39 :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Capybara, you sure completed your mission, if that mission was to get a great shooter. But you also got a beautiful example too. Congrats.
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

Be very careful. These m39's multiply rapidly :) great looking rifle.
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

My safe is full and I mean full. I have lots of other C&R bolt actions stashed all over the house but the bolts are in the safe. So what that means is no more rifles unless I sell some of them. It has already gotten out of control. But had to have an M39 to round out the collection.
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

CORRECTION: I said 8500 "No Makers" were produced. I was wrong. Doug Bowser states:

"A few M39 rifles were manufactured in 1967-72 from SAKO parts. Serial numbers range observed 300,608 to 306,431. At least 5,471 rifles were apparently built by SAKO. quoted from " Rifles of the White Death" ( a must read BTW :thumbsup: ).

I have serial number 301,659. A bit worn, most of the bluing is gone :very mad: but its a tight shooter :biggrin: :biggrin:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Capybara wrote:My safe is full and I mean full. I have lots of other C&R bolt actions stashed all over the house but the bolts are in the safe. So what that means is no more rifles unless I sell some of them. It has already gotten out of control. But had to have an M39 to round out the collection.
That doesn't stop you from buying another safe, I have done that 6 times now. That is a very low numbered 1968 both of mine are in the 302 and 303 ranges. I do sort of wonder with that many serials covered in 1968 alone if they really were consecutive or maybe jumped around a bit. Of course they say they made 8500 of them so I guess it is possible. 1969 is a tough find too. That is in a post war stock which seems to be normal although that square stock patch on the side there really is cool. First time I have ever seen that. I am hovering around 40 M39's now depending on whether some impending trades happen or not. Still no round receiver ones or no maker and no date ones, but I am open to trades for one though! Filling the holes is very slow so it seems and again I have slowed with age too. Excellent find and more than likely a great shooter too. I think you will find the older well worn will most times be great shooters too. Keeping that in mind you actually can in M39's get a historically neat good shooting rifle. My PL marked rifle is so loose the first time I shot it I became aware instantly that the bolt actually sort of undulates when it is fired. Believe me when I say it sure doesn't make you very confident in it but shoot she does though and very accurately too. Congrats again! Bill :D
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

Thanks Bill! Wow, 40 M39s, you are hard core. It looks to be a great shooter, I just need some free time to break her down, remove cosmo, see what date is on the tang, check the headpsace and FP protrusion. Someday I will have the time to do that.
390ish

Post by 390ish »

Probably the best military rifle for standing shots ever made. You will really enjoy it.
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

Gah! That is a fantastic rifle! :Drool1:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I have one. One I tell ya! But I love my M39. Antique receiver. That seems to be a strong point to many. I don't see the advantage or disadvantage, except for being able to have it shipped without a C&R, but yet I still am glad to have a pre-1899. Mine is a Tula 1898.