Prepper rifle

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Shawnc

Prepper rifle

Post by Shawnc »

I sold my Chinese SKS some years ago, and have regretted it ever since. I like to frequent the prepper youtube channels and watch the arguments over which gun is the best all around gun and have found the SKS largely overlooked. Well made, decent commonly found ammo, semiautomatic, convenient size, why does it never make the lists? Any thoughts?
Food for five years. A thousand gallons of gas. Air filtration. Water filtration. Geiger counter. Bomb shelter...underground goddamn monsters?!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Prepper rifle

Post by Rongo »

They are a bit harder to come by when compared to readily available commercial rifles. Personally... Get what works for you & don't worry about what The prepper gods do.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

My guess, it's not as tactical or whatever as say an AR or an AK in stock form. Most people over look it due to the standard 10 rd magazine capacity.
Another thing that may have some effect, all most any shop will probably have an AR or a form of and/or an AK in stock, and a bunch of supporting parts, magazines etc. Price is another, an SKS for say 350/400, or an AK for 450/600 depending on model, or roughly the same with a base model AR, most will go the route of the AK or AR.

My thoughts are, let them over look it :shifty: , it will at least keep prices a little lower :thumbsup: . Just my :2cents:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Preppers on youtube....yea...the best rifle is the one you have on hand and have ammo for.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Shawnc

Post by Shawnc »

I never said I agreed with them, I'm just surprised it never gets a mention.
Food for five years. A thousand gallons of gas. Air filtration. Water filtration. Geiger counter. Bomb shelter...underground goddamn monsters?!
Buckhead

Post by Buckhead »

Shawnc wrote:I never said I agreed with them, I'm just surprised it never gets a mention.
I take my SKS with me every time I go to the range. I always take a few of my weapons to shoot and my Chinese SKS carbine is
always one of them. I like the accuracy of it and the way it feels in my hands it does real well at 100 yds.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

To be honest... Probably one of the best rifles available in a prepper arsenal would be a good .22lr. :wink:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Rongo wrote:To be honest... Probably one of the best rifles available in a prepper arsenal would be a good .22lr. :wink:
No doubt about it. Easy to carry lots of ammo. Will feed you and protect you.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

You're just frequenting the wrong prepper sites... I bought and converted one of the Saiga's back to traditional AK format. It was a good rifle for spraying large amounts of bullets. Swapped it In a deal for a Chinese SKS and $400 and haven't regretted it for a second. Ten rounds is plenty with the better accuracy. Ammo availability is great and affordable. That and my .22 are my "prepper guns" along with the pump 12 gauge.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

You're just frequenting the wrong prepper sites... I bought and converted one of the Saiga's back to traditional AK format. It was a good rifle for spraying large amounts of bullets. Swapped it In a deal for a Chinese SKS and $400 and haven't regretted it for a second. Ten rounds is plenty with the better accuracy. Ammo availability is great and affordable. That and my .22 are my "prepper guns" along with the pump 12 gauge.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Guess it really depends on what your prepping for. A wrol, revolution/civil war situation, or something like that the sks, ak, ar, and many more would be good. In a survival situation a .22 would be good 12ga too. A single shot 12ga would be good with the added adapters to shoot other calibers. There are many different setups that would work nicely in different situations.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D