New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

shenlong1337 wrote:I just want to say hi to everyone on the forum. I've been collecting surplus rifles since 2008, and have enjoyed it ever since. :D
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TexasMosin

Post by TexasMosin »

Found this place....the forum...., Mosin hunting is a real good history lesson and a fun way to spend my time and money. Glad to be here.....now on with the questions!
wmarks1966

Post by wmarks1966 »

Howdy, I'm Wes Aka wmarks1966 I just bought my first Mosin 1943 M91/30 I'm looking forward to learning more about the rifle.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Welcome to the Forum Texasmosin :toast:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

wmarks1966 wrote:Howdy, I'm Wes Aka wmarks1966 I just bought my first Mosin 1943 M91/30 I'm looking forward to learning more about the rifle.
Welcome Wes. Ask away. :thumbsup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

TexasMosin wrote:Found this place....the forum...., Mosin hunting is a real good history lesson and a fun way to spend my time and money. Glad to be here.....now on with the questions!
Welcome to the RMNF :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

wmarks1966 wrote:Howdy, I'm Wes Aka wmarks1966 I just bought my first Mosin 1943 M91/30 I'm looking forward to learning more about the rifle.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
johnny l

Post by johnny l »

Hello. My name is Johnny Lawson. I am fairly new to the Mosin Nagant Rifles. I bought an M1944 several years ago. Beautiful little carbine, wish I had got an M1938 at the same time. I have since added 3 M91/30's and a fake sniper. I enjoy shooting them all. Good to find a web site dedicated to the Mosin Nagant rifles. Regards, johnny Lawson
fishinguy

Post by fishinguy »

Hello All,

My name is Marc and I recently purchased a 91/30 and a PU sniper from Classic firearms. This forum has a wealth of info, so I figured I better sign up before I buy more.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

johnny l wrote:Hello. My name is Johnny Lawson. I am fairly new to the Mosin Nagant Rifles. I bought an M1944 several years ago. Beautiful little carbine, wish I had got an M1938 at the same time. I have since added 3 M91/30's and a fake sniper. I enjoy shooting them all. Good to find a web site dedicated to the Mosin Nagant rifles. Regards, johnny Lawson
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

fishinguy wrote:Hello All,

My name is Marc and I recently purchased a 91/30 and a PU sniper from Classic firearms. This forum has a wealth of info, so I figured I better sign up before I buy more.
Welcome to the board :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

Hello,

I thought I would wait until I actually had a Mosin in hand before posting. I picked on out of the lot a Cabela's the other day and had them hold it until the sale today. With some other rewards points and misc. I ended up with a 1937 Mosin with few markings (other than a big PW billboard on the side). Matching numbers as far as I can tell so far on everything except the bayonet. No other accessories included, so I'll need to pick those up. Or at least the tool. Probably from Cabela's eBay section after they seperated them from the batches. That may be how they keep the sale price. I had to ask about the bayonet and they guy behind me then asked too. Three other people I saw earlier walked out without one.

I'll take some photos before, during and after cleanup. This one is messy compared to the others. I figured that's a good thing since that may mean it hasn't been worked on by someone in between armory boxing and export.

There was a 1945 there that looked like it had the best looking barrel and rifling but it was rough everywhere else. Mismatching parts, rough foundry work, poor stamping, missing front sight, repair chunk missing on the front stock and no cleaning rod. Not a looker, but with a new front sight it probably would have been the most accurate shooter. Unless the guy it was issued to after the war spent his days digging ditches with it instead of shooting. That may affect accuracy. :D

Five of them went out while I was there and someone in line said they talked to the manager and they had another 100 or so in the back. Too bad they wouldn't let us back there to look. So I might go back in a couple of days right when the store opens and see what's been restocked.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

InOmaha wrote:Hello,

I thought I would wait until I actually had a Mosin in hand before posting. I picked on out of the lot a Cabela's the other day and had them hold it until the sale today. With some other rewards points and misc. I ended up with a 1937 Mosin with few markings (other than a big PW billboard on the side). Matching numbers as far as I can tell so far on everything except the bayonet. No other accessories included, so I'll need to pick those up. Or at least the tool. Probably from Cabela's eBay section after they seperated them from the batches. That may be how they keep the sale price. I had to ask about the bayonet and they guy behind me then asked too. Three other people I saw earlier walked out without one.

I'll take some photos before, during and after cleanup. This one is messy compared to the others. I figured that's a good thing since that may mean it hasn't been worked on by someone in between armory boxing and export.

There was a 1945 there that looked like it had the best looking barrel and rifling but it was rough everywhere else. Mismatching parts, rough foundry work, poor stamping, missing front sight, repair chunk missing on the front stock and no cleaning rod. Not a looker, but with a new front sight it probably would have been the most accurate shooter. Unless the guy it was issued to after the war spent his days digging ditches with it instead of shooting. That may affect accuracy. :D

Five of them went out while I was there and someone in line said they talked to the manager and they had another 100 or so in the back. Too bad they wouldn't let us back there to look. So I might go back in a couple of days right when the store opens and see what's been restocked.
Surprising to see a 1945 dated Mosin with a wartime rough receiver, that is more a late 1941-mid 1943 sort of thing. Are you sure that date wasn't a sloppy 1943? Sounds like one of the earlier Balkan imports in that condition, you simply don't see crate rifles that look like that, not the refurbs. That is more of a came in strapped to a pallet with 100 other rifles Balkan import from the 90's. Sometimes they shoot well, sometimes not, they didn't get the corrective counterbores like the Soviet refurbs did when they needed them.
Theodore Roosevelt
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

It could have been a 1943. The stamping was poor and there were a lot of different stamps on it. The barrel looked clean and the rifling looked sharp. The top of the round receiver almost looked like eroded dirt. Like the metal was flowing. It wasn't deep, it just looked bad. No parts matched on it either.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sounds like a '43, that is a wartime expedient finish, they needed rifles so badly at that time that Soviet troops were going into battle with hand tools, or nothing so they eliminated any step that didn't effect accuracy or safety. Not every '43 will look that way, only the ones made when the rush was on.
Theodore Roosevelt
mocteau

Post by mocteau »

Hello to all! My name is Mike and believe it or not, tonight is the first time I've seen your site. After a quick glance, it looks like a great piece of luck on my part! I'm relatively new to the world of Mosins. My friend showed me his 91/30 early last year and I was hooked. I marched down to my local shop and scored a pretty good hex receiver 91/30 right off the rack. After I shot it I knew I needed more!

I look forward to spending more time here, gaining knowledge from you all, waiting on my next mosin!

Mike
Hank

Post by Hank »

Hi I'm here
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mocteau wrote:Hello to all! My name is Mike and believe it or not, tonight is the first time I've seen your site. After a quick glance, it looks like a great piece of luck on my part! I'm relatively new to the world of Mosins. My friend showed me his 91/30 early last year and I was hooked. I marched down to my local shop and scored a pretty good hex receiver 91/30 right off the rack. After I shot it I knew I needed more!

I look forward to spending more time here, gaining knowledge from you all, waiting on my next mosin!

Mike
Welcome to the board Mike :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Hank wrote:Hi I'm here
Yes you are Hank :lol: Welcome to the board :vcool:
Theodore Roosevelt
Shawnc

Post by Shawnc »

Not new, but it's been over a year since I've posted anything, so I felt obligated to post here. :D
Food for five years. A thousand gallons of gas. Air filtration. Water filtration. Geiger counter. Bomb shelter...underground goddamn monsters?!