The Finn M39 trigger VS. the Soviet trigger, a question.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Simo

The Finn M39 trigger VS. the Soviet trigger, a question.

Post by Simo »

I noticed that The M39 trigger has two pins in it that ride the sear and the soviet trigger does not have them. Are those 2 pins what gives the M39 its "2 stage" trigger?
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." -Declaration of Independence
Lotema

Re: The Finn M39 trigger VS. the Soviet trigger, a question.

Post by Lotema »

That's what I have read and been told up to this point. I have that trigger on my Remington 1917. Absolutely the nicest trigger of any of my Mosins...
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

The Finns experimented around a lot on triggers but I think their major aim may have been a crisp and lighter trigger pull. I base this mainly on personal experience and not on anything I have read. The variety of Finnish modifications I have found over the years is endless and sometimes very hard to pin point without side by side comparisons. A couple of them which released the trigger prematurely and unexpectedly were removed for obvious safety reasons. At first I thought maybe Bubba got a hold of them before me but a couple had been loaded with pine needles and apparently untouched had to be attributed to the Finns. I guess they didn't do everything just right and were human after all. The best Soviet Mosin triggers I have ever found were on 91/59's and I have had too many great Finnish triggers over the years that I can't begin to pick just one. I for the most part leave triggers the way I found them other than to drop test them for safety. Bill
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Frankly I havn't shot enough Russian rifles to have an educated opinion, but the ones I have shot were NOTHING like the Finnish rifles I have. :chuckles:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

TopperT wrote:Frankly I havn't shot enough Russian rifles to have an educated opinion, but the ones I have shot were NOTHING like the Finnish rifles I have. :chuckles:

WoW! An honest man! Most people make statements and have very little experience to back them. It is oh so refreshing to hear someone speak the truth. I salute your honesty and hope we all (me included) learn to follow your example. It takes a big man to admit and say I don't know the answer.

Most of the Russian rifles I have shot especially the early M91's had heavy hard triggers. I got so used to them that the first K-31 I shot I hated because it was so light every time I pulled the trigger I had no idea when it would fire! I gradually got used to a light trigger pull and realized that was the way they should be. I tried a bunch of Finns over the years and I do now like that lighter trigger pull. Along the way I bought a bunch of 91/59's and was amazed how nice their triggers were. I virtually got hooked on them and at one time almost owned a dozen of them and this is the guy who really didn't like carbines? I still have three or four left but I still try and stay away from ones I see on sale because I am tempted to buy them. Chinese Type 53's also seem to have nice triggers too but the rest of the Russians are not great from what I have seen. With my gauge most of the early M-91's were at least 6 pounds plus, not fun to pull and shoot accurately for sure.

Topper T I salute you for being so honest! We all should follow his example, which as I said includes me! Bill :oops:
finloq

Post by finloq »

The smoothest trigger that I have found on my Finns:

"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
finloq

Post by finloq »

I have not fired an M28/76. Who will be the first to weigh in on them?
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I don't know why I can't see the difference but every time I do a visual they always look the same. I am going to check my m39 against a few of the others and see if a side by side comparison will show something. I don't remember my m39 having 2 pins. :shock:
finloq

Post by finloq »

M39 trigger:

Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

finloq wrote:I have not fired an M28/76. Who will be the first to weigh in on them?
My M28/76 has the M27 trigger setup in it, but I've never shot it. :oops: Dry firing, there is very little difference in it and a M91 "B" barrel I have with the same trigger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
gurn

Post by gurn »

I have one Finn M91 that has a hair trigger. It is so light you could almost blow on it and it will fire. Its actually kind of scary. I'm always real careful with it at the range. But it is a pleasure to shoot and about the most accurate rifle I have. I doubt the Finns ever intended it to be this light. I should buy a gauge and compare all mine. The first time I shot it it scared the hell out of me. I had just sat down cocked it and roughly pointed at the target. Rested my finger on the trigger, BOOM! :big shock:
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I have a Finn M91 that has a similar trigger. Crisp and light, but it has a shimmed trigger spring that was like that when I got it. JYD said it was doubtful that it came from Finland that way as the trigger breaks at 2.25 pounds! I have done the drop test and it holds, but still! What if it didn't? It sure feels great though.