Contemplating a M1 Garand purchase

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Contemplating a M1 Garand purchase

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:crossedfingers:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

so quick question now that im thinking of it... where do I get the old clips for the garand?
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

kamakazi339 wrote:so quick question now that im thinking of it... where do I get the old clips for the garand?
When you finally get your order confirmation they'll give you a username and password for the CMP E-Store. You can then buy your enbloc's here if you can't find any surplus at shows or elsewhere. As dou44 stated, buy at least a couple cans of the loose 200 rounds of HXP from the CMP too.

http://estore.thecmp.org/store/catalog/ ... ote5=&max=

http://estore.thecmp.org/store/catalog/ ... ote5=&max=
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
awesomeinforensics

Post by awesomeinforensics »

I am thinking about driving to the CMP North store next month. I am gathering the required paper work, it should be a 12 hour day with the driving and selecting the rifle. :D
1925r Izhevsk ex Dragoon
1934 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
Winchester Model 1873 circa 1886
NRA Life Member

Gentlemen there are 2 "finks" among us!
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

wheres the store located?
Thib

Post by Thib »

Any M1 Garand that was sent to another country on a "Lend/Lease" program (Greece was one I believe) eventually gets returned. These countries send them back to the Army, who in turn sends them to the CMP. The Presidential order most likely won't effect the CMP as it mentions the re-importation of sold US Surplus weapons. What you won't see is any Korean M1's as Korea purchased said rifles from the US.

Of course this is nothing official, just me interpreting this mess and hoping...
Apart from a donation of surplus .22 and .30 caliber rifles in the Army's inventory to the CMP, the CMP receives no federal funding
m1guy

Post by m1guy »

The CMP has said that the ones in Korea wouldn't come through the CMP anyway. I don't know for sure, but it might make sense that the executive order wouldn't affect them if the rifles they get are still technically property of the Army. They are just being returned.

But, that being said, how many more Garands can be out there, overseas, waiting for the Army to get them back?
As I understand it, the ones they are selling now are from Greece. But how many countries did we lend/lease them to? Do they still come in from Greece piecemeal? I understand that countries sell Mosins to importers a few at a time. But I thought if the army brought back M1s from Greece, they would probably get them in one big swoop, and that would be all.

I figured that the order couldn't affect the CMP much, either way, because they probably had just about everything they were going to get.

Can anybody educate us further on this?
finloq

Post by finloq »

You can't go wrong with an M1 rifle.

"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

As Finlog said, you will never go wrong with an M1. An M1A will cost you a minimum of twice as much if not more and then you are dealing with the extra cost of magazines and the fact that in some states (read Maryland) you will have all manner of problems getting one.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

I ordered an HRA (that's all that is available right now) but some buyers are getting the option to switch to a Springfield Arms.
If I get the option to switch, do you guys think I should?
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

I got to shoot my first m1 garand the other day at the range I just became a member of... I strolled out there with my buddy and one of the board members of the range happened to have a cmp rifle. I asked if I could see it and shortly afte r that he was like do you want to shoot it? Well jee Mr......is that a question? :big shock:
graphic914

Post by graphic914 »

Garand being a great shooter, has great history
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

m1guy wrote:The CMP has said that the ones in Korea wouldn't come through the CMP anyway. I don't know for sure, but it might make sense that the executive order wouldn't affect them if the rifles they get are still technically property of the Army. They are just being returned.

But, that being said, how many more Garands can be out there, overseas, waiting for the Army to get them back?
As I understand it, the ones they are selling now are from Greece. But how many countries did we lend/lease them to? Do they still come in from Greece piecemeal? I understand that countries sell Mosins to importers a few at a time. But I thought if the army brought back M1s from Greece, they would probably get them in one big swoop, and that would be all.

I figured that the order couldn't affect the CMP much, either way, because they probably had just about everything they were going to get.

Can anybody educate us further on this?
It's a long list, all of our allies during WW2 except the Russians got M1's when needed, South Korea, Denmark, Norway, Greese, Italy, South Vietnam, and various countries in South America come to mind, there are others.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
m1guy

Post by m1guy »

Wow. That opens up a whole can of questions from me. I have only heard of Greek ones coming through the CMP, at least right now.

Have any of the other countries sold/retuned any to us? Are there any left out there that might even have the possibility of coming through the CMP?

If there are, I wonder if the order will block them.
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

DO it and do it now! You will never regret buying a CMP M1. This is my favorite rifle I own, a '54 HRA Service Special. So much fun to shoot.

soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

I sent in my order near the end of July. Early August they emailed that they received the order. End of August the order showed in the estore. Last Friday (10/4) they charged my credit card. From what I've read on the CMP board, shipping should happen in 2-3 weeks.
So, to sum up, order early because it is a long wait.