M1 Garand in NY. This is confusing.

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
matt167

M1 Garand in NY. This is confusing.

Post by matt167 »

My next firearm purchase I think will be an M1 Garand. Genuine USCGI collector quality gun of course.. I don't have the funding right now for it, but should within the next few months. The NY Safe act says guns with detachable magazines and one feature ( bayonet lug included ). I know the M1 technically does not have a detachable magazine but I don't know what NY considers detachable. anyone know if these are legal to own due to being C&R?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: M1 Garand in NY. This is confusing.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

%$#@ New Yorks safe act, and the assholes who came up with it, the Garand is not on the list, it has an internal magazine. See if you can find a nice M14, that has all the things they hate, box mag with 20 rounds, and so on, or even an AR, if you live in this state then resist, and comply with nothing the communists come up with.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:%$#@ New Yorks safe act, and the assholes who came up with it, the Garand is not on the list, it has an internal magazine. See if you can find a nice M14, that has all the things they hate, box mag with 20 rounds, and so on, or even an AR, if you live in this state then resist, and comply with nothing the communists come up with.
:pointup: :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
matt167

Post by matt167 »

M14 or an M1A is tempting, but the AR and AK's never interested me ( before ban or after ). I am 2 hours from the PA border or Mass border equally ( 2.5 from Vt ) so when/ if the ammo registration comes into play, Lots more road tripping will be happening if I need to buy some. I heard that part of the law got defunded for now... I'd really rather just have an M1 Garand because they can still be had fairly reasonable compared to others and are bound to increase in value with the gun climate going the way it is... A M1918 BAR could be cool to own too, but I don't have that kind of cash.. Well, if I took all of my boat funding for the year then possibly, but I really need a new outboard by next summer
akguy1985

Post by akguy1985 »

The garand has an internal magazine. i wouldnt comply with that crappy law either. And see if you could get a "evil" bayonet for it too.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That ammo law is why I stocked up massively in previous years, I am not showing ID, or signing anything for buying ammo. If my gray hair, and wrinkles aren't enough to show I am well over 21 then %#$@ them!
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

An M1 must be legal, otherwise the CMP would not ship it. They do have to ship it to an FFL however (C&R no go). Only two states in the Union that the CMP can't ship it straight to your door - NY & CA.
And support your local chapter of SCOPE.
matt167

Post by matt167 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:That ammo law is why I stocked up massively in previous years, I am not showing ID, or signing anything for buying ammo. If my gray hair, and wrinkles aren't enough to show I am well over 21 then %#$@ them!
Yea I have an 'OK' stock right now, but I do plan on at least 2 more 440 round spam cans for the Mosins, and as much good .22LR as I can find and then shotgun rounds but shotgun is easy to find except slugs, and my 12ga has a 2 3/4" chamber, haven't been able to find slugs that short..
matt167

Post by matt167 »

akguy1985 wrote:The garand has an internal magazine. i wouldnt comply with that crappy law either. And see if you could get a "evil" bayonet for it too.
I know it has an internal magazine, but didn't know if the fact it has fast loading clips would have 'tipped the scale' so to speak but it appears that it's clear... Because of this, the Evil bayonet is legal. :thumbsup:
matt167

Post by matt167 »

soylentblue wrote:An M1 must be legal, otherwise the CMP would not ship it. They do have to ship it to an FFL however (C&R no go). Only two states in the Union that the CMP can't ship it straight to your door - NY & CA.
And support your local chapter of SCOPE.
Thanks for the the reply. CMP was who I was probably going to go thru to get a rifle, and was going to email them but decided to check here first because I'm not ready to make a purchase yet
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

soylentblue wrote:Only two states in the Union that the CMP can't ship it straight to your door - NY & CA.
Not true, I live in California and have had two CMP M1 Garands as well as dozens of other C&R rifles including SKS shipped to my door in the past two years.
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

I think the Garand is on the "OK" C&R list for the unSAFE Act. I can qualify with the CMP, but hate the FFL hassle and the long wait to get it, so I was planning to drive to Camp Perry. Before I go I was going to call and make sure they will still let me take it with me even though I'm a NY resident. I also figured I would buy a couple cans of Greek surplus while I'm there. (if they even have any left)
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

Capybara wrote:
soylentblue wrote:Only two states in the Union that the CMP can't ship it straight to your door - NY & CA.
Not true, I live in California and have had two CMP M1 Garands as well as dozens of other C&R rifles including SKS shipped to my door in the past two years.
You're right, I checked and the list is NY,CT & NJ
Last edited by soylentblue on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:That ammo law is why I stocked up massively in previous years, I am not showing ID, or signing anything for buying ammo. If my gray hair, and wrinkles aren't enough to show I am well over 21 then %#$@ them!
I was at Walmart yesterday picking up my daily ammo purchase and they now have a special register/computer screen where you do your background check. The lady told me this was in advance of all the extra background checks come January :angry4:.
BTW- Has anyone noticed that NYS continues to kick the can down the road and have the court date postponed against the SAFE ACT? How is it legal that citizens must have their grievances against the government addressed in a government court? Seems like the deck is stacked against us to me. I think NYS is just trying to keep pushing the date back to try to bankrupt those bringing the lawsuit :angry4:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

hoshow wrote:
I was at Walmart yesterday picking up my daily ammo purchase and they now have a special register/computer screen where you do your background check. The lady told me this was in advance of all the extra background checks come January :angry4:.
BTW- Has anyone noticed that NYS continues to kick the can down the road and have the court date postponed against the SAFE ACT? How is it legal that citizens must have their grievances against the government addressed in a government court? Seems like the deck is stacked against us to me. I think NYS is just trying to keep pushing the date back to try to bankrupt those bringing the lawsuit :angry4:
I don't like WalMart's policy that to purchase pistol ammo, you need to show them your pistol permit. I don't need the teenage goth kid working the counter to know my address and the pistols that I own.
As for the SAFE act - what is to stop them from leaving the court case hanging in limbo until the end of time? It reminds me of the class action suit against the state for that waterpark where a lot of people got sick because of e coli in the water (can't remember what the park is called). That has gone on for years with the state basically refusing to appear in court.
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

I agree about the handgun ammo, but I have never had to do more than flash my permit. Never had to take it out so the clerk could look at it. As for the state I think that's exactly what they are doing. Our system is broken with no quick fixes in site :roll:
soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

leaveammoforme wrote:What? Am I reading this right? You have to show your "pistol permit" to buy ammo? Or am I missing something? I get irritated when I just have to show my dl to the loser behind the counter. They have started a stupid question thing at my local walmart where they ask "whatca gonna choot" in standard texas redneck dialect . I just stare at them , pay & leave.
If you are buying a pistol caliber it is WalMart policy (around here anyway) that you have to show your pistol permit
soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

leaveammoforme wrote:Sorry for getting off op's topic but this has peaked my curiosity. Is it just a 'flash' the permit or is there scrutiny on what you are buying vs what the permit says you have? Recording of information?
The clerk enters something into the computer - I don't know how much information gets captured, but any at all pisses me off. I only put up with it one time because was desperate for ammo and the LGS was price gouging. I hope I don't have to do it again.
hoshow

Post by hoshow »

As far as I can tell no personal info is seen or entered. They just need to hit the id shown button. I have never had anyone ask me to take it out or even actually look at it. They just peek for a split second to see that I have a permit and then sell me the ammo. It still sucks though.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

hoshow wrote:
I never bought a single round of ammunition from Walmart, only gun stuff I bought there were some targets, a brush or two, and a can of foaming bore cleaner.
Theodore Roosevelt